What are you thinking about? Part VIII

Thinking about getting a new alarm clock... my 18 year old Sonic Boom one seems to be flaking out on me. Seeing a lot of bad reviews for the newer Sonic Boom one (and it's only in white! boo)...and I can't find many that will allow for a lamp plug in (I'm not a fan of the bed shaker type unfortunately).

I still have alarm clock from 1980's that still works and have the lamp plug in in the rear. Seem like they don't make these things anymore. I did try to bed shaker, it isn't always effective for me at least.

Thinking about getting a new alarm clock... my 18 year old Sonic Boom one seems to be flaking out on me. Seeing a lot of bad reviews for the newer Sonic Boom one (and it's only in white! boo)...and I can't find many that will allow for a lamp plug in (I'm not a fan of the bed shaker type unfortunately).
I honestly thought the sonic boom and bed shaker alarm were one and the same.

Calvin - Oh wow - I totally forgot about that lamp plug one! I hated that thing - sleeping soundly, and all of a sudden, bright light in my face! A necessary evil for sure. (It's long gone though!)
The bed shaker was more like a pillow shaker and did not wake me up.

Calvin - Oh wow - I totally forgot about that lamp plug one! I hated that thing - sleeping soundly, and all of a sudden, bright light in my face! A necessary evil for sure. (It's long gone though!)
The bed shaker was more like a pillow shaker and did not wake me up.

Yeah, actually I used the socket flasher to put in the bulb socket and the bulb flashes once the alarm goes off. I was a heavy sleeper back then and takes a bit to wake me. I used to have the bedshaker, it was ok... if they make a stronger shaker, it might make a difference.

41kGIHAhqqL.jpg

I honestly thought the sonic boom and bed shaker alarm were one and the same.

I think when Sonic Alert first started producing them, they were the only ones with the bed shaker? Though when I was in college I had a BIG blue bed shaker that I could plug into a Radio Shack digital clock. Thing was LOUD (according to my first roommate at NSP). That's long gone. I see a lot of companies (Ameriphone among them) making them now catering to deaf, hard of hearing, senior citizen and heavy sleepers.

Yeah, actually I used the socket flasher to put in the bulb socket and the bulb flashes once the alarm goes off. I was a heavy sleeper back then and takes a bit to wake me. I used to have the bedshaker, it was ok... if they make a stronger shaker, it might make a difference.

41kGIHAhqqL.jpg

Hmm... do you mean you put this little thing in the lamp and plug directly into the wall outlet or plug into the back of the clock? The Sonic Boom clock already makes it flash when lamp is plugged into the clock. So am curious what your set up is.

I'll probably go with the Sonic Boom again as I don't like red LED (hurts my eyes up close) and like the green (or similar colors). Tolerated the little travel alarm one I had in Utah as I had to put it on the floor (so not eye level lol) but the shaker puck thing slid all over the place.

Glad to see DeafDucky back!
Ducky I am wondering what you ever did about calls without using Relay. Also it combined with sharing with hearing members of your family. At that time I checked Ebay for the older AT&T ADVANCED TTY 8840 like I got that way very cheaply several years ago and have been happy with. The listing linked to below is just $19. Remember they can be used as a regular landline phone or a TTY or a combination with Relay where you speak for yourself but get the captions from Relay to read.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-ADVANCED-TTY-8840-HEARING-IMPAIRED-TELEPHONE-PHONE/323762207409?_trkparms=aid=1110001&algo=SPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131231084308&meid=87f9d30284874f33a894f2d11a107a6e&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=293212994445&itm=323762207409&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Glad to see DeafDucky back!
Ducky I am wondering what you ever did about calls without using Relay. Also it combined with sharing with hearing members of your family. At that time I checked Ebay for the older AT&T ADVANCED TTY 8840 like I got that way very cheaply several years ago and have been happy with. The listing linked to below is just $19. Remember they can be used as a regular landline phone or a TTY or a combination with Relay where you speak for yourself but get the captions from Relay to read.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-ADVANCED-TTY-8840-HEARING-IMPAIRED-TELEPHONE-PHONE/323762207409?_trkparms=aid=1110001&algo=SPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131231084308&meid=87f9d30284874f33a894f2d11a107a6e&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=293212994445&itm=323762207409&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

I'll check into that. I never did go much further in finding other ways to do calls without Relay- or rather calls using TTY. Still work on people to convince 'em to use email rather than calling lol.

Hmm... do you mean you put this little thing in the lamp and plug directly into the wall outlet or plug into the back of the clock? The Sonic Boom clock already makes it flash when lamp is plugged into the clock. So am curious what your set up is.

The lamp plugs in my alarm clock in the rear and the alarm clock plugs into the wall outlet. It was my first alarm clock back in the day. Hope the new Sonic Boom works better than before. :)

The lamp plugs in my alarm clock in the rear and the alarm clock plugs into the wall outlet. It was my first alarm clock back in the day. Hope the new Sonic Boom works better than before. :)

I hope so.. I was a bit shocked at the percentage of 1 star on Amazon (it's a bit cheaper there than on Harris Communications :/). And thanks- that's exactly what I want. Those newer 'sunrise simulation' type alarm clocks I don't think will do it, nor the ones that have flashing dots on the alarm clock face(wouldn't see those anyway lol).

I hope so.. I was a bit shocked at the percentage of 1 star on Amazon (it's a bit cheaper there than on Harris Communications :/). And thanks- that's exactly what I want. Those newer 'sunrise simulation' type alarm clocks I don't think will do it, nor the ones that have flashing dots on the alarm clock face(wouldn't see those anyway lol).

Hmm which one of the Sonic Boom has one star rating in Amazon? I checked Amazon and haven't seen any... many variety has 3-4 star rating and a handful have 4.5 stars. You're welcome, hopefully the new one wakes you up in time... :lol:

Hmm which one of the Sonic Boom has one star rating in Amazon? I checked Amazon and haven't seen any... many variety has 3-4 star rating and a handful have 4.5 stars. You're welcome, hopefully the new one wakes you up in time... :lol:

that's the average of all the reviews. If you look further down on the page of the product you'll see a breakdown of how many people gave it 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1 star.

for example-- https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Alert-SB1000SS-Alarm-Clock/dp/B000EX9K40

Scroll to the bottom til you see Customer Reviews. There's. a bar graph for each rating level. This one the 1 star rating is at 40% and the 5 star one is at 36%. Interestingly on other Sonic Boom clocks like this one on Amazon has different numbers for the ratings.

I check reviews, I don't always believe them but it's nice to know what to watch out for and also a good way to get answers to questions I may have.

I'll check into that. I never did go much further in finding other ways to do calls without Relay- or rather calls using TTY. Still work on people to convince 'em to use email rather than calling lol.

Please let us know what happens!

that's the average of all the reviews. If you look further down on the page of the product you'll see a breakdown of how many people gave it 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1 star.

for example-- https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Alert-SB1000SS-Alarm-Clock/dp/B000EX9K40

Scroll to the bottom til you see Customer Reviews. There's. a bar graph for each rating level. This one the 1 star rating is at 40% and the 5 star one is at 36%. Interestingly on other Sonic Boom clocks like this one on Amazon has different numbers for the ratings.

I check reviews, I don't always believe them but it's nice to know what to watch out for and also a good way to get answers to questions I may have.

Ahh gotcha. Yeah I see a lot of lower reviews... I agree, those negative ratings are not always true. Older models sometimes are better than newer ones. If you do get this one... hopefully it lasts longer for you. :)

I feel like there are a million things that I haven’t learned yet. Why can’t hearing people just explain to me instead of laughing at me thinking how dumb I am? I feel limited in this way. There are some people who does not have patience to write down what they said to me. Why can’t they give me just 5 minutes? I spent my whole life writing to….imagine how many hearing people out there just to get what I need. I wish I could go back to the 1980s when everyone was not in a hurry.

I feel like there are a million things that I haven’t learned yet. Why can’t hearing people just explain to me instead of laughing at me thinking how dumb I am? I feel limited in this way. There are some people who does not have patience to write down what they said to me. Why can’t they give me just 5 minutes? I spent my whole life writing to….imagine how many hearing people out there just to get what I need. I wish I could go back to the 1980s when everyone was not in a hurry.
It’s the younger generation that have no compassion or manners. The older people can be more patient and understanding. It’s not only you, the younger generation have no brains. Trust me , I ask for help for example at Target. I asked , a guy where do you have dog food strange containers? He said, go to the kitchen side . I was near the dog section asking him and I found it myself on the next aisle . They are the dumb ones not you.

It’s the younger generation that have no compassion or manners. The older people can be more patient and understanding. It’s not only you, the younger generation have no brains. Trust me , I ask for help for example at Target. I asked , a guy where do you have dog food strange containers? He said, go to the kitchen side . I was near the dog section asking him and I found it myself on the next aisle . They are the dumb ones not you.

They don't know how to count, either. My brother went to Toy R US and and his total was $30.35. He gave the cashier $40 and the cashier couldn't even count up and figure out my brother needed $9.65 in change. My brother told him how much he needed back. Cashier still wanted to see his calcuator even though my brother didn't need a calculator.

Common core sucks.

Less than a couple of weeks of chaos at work then it will be over... the short staffing is insanity when people decides to bang in during peak causing things to fall behind.

Less than a couple of weeks of chaos at work then it will be over... the short staffing is insanity when people decides to bang in during peak causing things to fall behind.

That is bummed. You're almost done!

Back