What are the pros and cons of being oral or voice-off?

I'm starting to turn off my voice a bit now at work.

Good posting, PFH. It gave me food for thoughts.

yeah pfh. Thats true. I do that too. It makes them to pay attention to my hands more. I know who are my employees' visions are excellent and some they dont do it well. Its amazing to tell me something about their pay attention skills.

yesterday, I brought my son to his basketball game. At the court, some parents talking without pay attention when I tried to get a chair. I signed, "excuse me, I need to get a chair." without voice. the lady suddenly pay attention and moved while i got my chair. It is much easier and quickly when they see my signing. :)

It depends on the situation. If I'm using ASL and if I'm around deaf people, I never use my voice. If I'm with my youngest daughter and my husband, I will use my voice and sign simultaneously. With my students, it varies, depending on their preferences.

With hearing people, I almost never voice. I believe if I voice with a hearing person, they will not do anything to make it easier for me to communicate- they will not take the time to write their responses, to speak more carefully, etc. And when I was teaching ASL at a local community college, I turned my voice off for two main reasons: 1) ASL cannot be voiced and 2) the students will learn receptive skills at a faster pace

In my opinion (and no offense intended to anyone) - using your voice around a deaf person (unless it's his/her preferred mode) is just arrogant and rude.

I'm voice off some of the time ... for me it depends on the situation, who I'm communicating with, the topic etc.

I was born with SSD - and normal hearing on my left side (I'm now: +120bd deaf right, mild/mod flux left & APD).
I had a number of years (until about 10years old) where I had reasonable aural access to speech. I also had the added "benefit" of being the oldest child in my family, and having a strong preference for communicating with adults many of whom were highly intelligent, articulate professionals, teachers/profs - which meant that I had excellent language models as well as early exposure to advanced language/styles of speaking during my "SSD years". For this reason (and I lot of stubborn, hard work because my parents wanted a "hearing child") I developed 99% "hearing speech" although I struggled with "R", "CH", "SH","TH" etc for many years and still have difficultly with "R" especially if it's the initial letter/sound. It took years of practice for me to pronounce "regular" at all and honestly, it's the one word that I'm still uncomfortable saying even though it's now understandable.

For me - at least at this point in my life - "voice off" is a communicate/life choice I make in certain situations. One of the greatest challenges I personally face as a Hoh/Deaf person is that my voice & speech is TOO "hearing" which actually causes a lot of problems including people thinking I'm "lying" about being Hoh/Deaf and almost everyone forgetting that I AM Hoh/Deaf ... including my family (which at times is enough to reduce me to tears because it's SO frustrating that even after 33 years they STILL think of me as, and expect me to be hearing)

I can't picture a future where I'd go "voice off" completely - only because there are situations in which having understandable speech in helpful. One of the examples in my own life is that many members of my Brother-In-Law's Family are able to speak a little English, but are not able to read and write English AT ALL (they are from Argentina - so speak Spanish and Italian). This means that for me to communicate with them (and they're nice, so I want to be able to communicate with them!) I have two choices: Speak & speechread/listen in English with them, or learn to write Spanish and Italian. While I'd actually LOVE to learn to write and read Spanish and it is a long term goal of mine, I still have to figure out a way to communicate with them until then (and I do ok, not great - but we're all very patient with each other!)

I think that the most important thing to keep in mind is that you have to do what's right for you, and be honest with yourself and others. Being "voice off" doesn't make us "more Deaf" it just alters the way in which we interact with hearing people.

I'm fortunate to live in an area where there is a HUGE Deaf population, a very large ASL hearing population and a city and provincial government that ensures that interpreters are ALWAYS free of charge for medical appointments, education, government related activities (including government run "leisure" activities).
I'm fortunate to live in an area where Hoh/Deaf people have excellent access to university & college educational support services and are encouraged to attend college/university to become professionals.
I'm fortunate to live in an area where the hearing public looks at people signing and things "Oh, look they're signing" instead of "oh, look it's mentally challenged people" or even "oh, look DEAF people!" (we have a HUGE hearing ASL population!).

Most of all - I'm fortunate to live in an area with a large, supportive Hoh/Deaf community that values ASL, Deaf culture and cherishes the fact that each Hoh/Deaf person is unique - and that a Hoh/Deaf person who speaks, or using a HA (and now even CI) isn't "less Deaf" or "less valuable" to the Deaf community then someone who only signs has no hearing at all (& doesn't use HA or CI) and has always been & will always be voice off. The Deaf Community that surrounds me is strong enough to know that a Deaf persons who use ASL, and are proud of Deaf Culture who also have speech, listening skills, HA and/or CI don't detract from our Deaf Culture and Community - they ADD to it.

If I am with my Deaf friends sign BSL then I be voice off. If I am around deaf that can only speak then I will sign and speak same time, it harder to talk to oral deaf than signing Deaf but I try my best.

My family I have to speak, I never sign around them cos I know what they think of signing and it isn't good. My mum accidently saw BBC program with BSL interpreter at corner of screen when she was flicking through channels around 1am in morning and told me in morning why they have to make faces and looks stupid, etc. Tried to explain to her but she doesn't get it so I avoid signing to family I don't want to be treated like that.

Hearing people in public I never speak, I use paper and pen cos if i speak they will refuse to write down so much simplier and easier to use paper and pen at start. If I meet hearing people come to Deaf events or come to my work (Deaf charity) then I will sign and speak unless that hearing person can sign then I sign BSL.

Actually, it would be nice to hear from a hearing person's perspective. (Which I take you're hearing from the post above.)

How do you view people who are voice-off, oral, sign/voice-off, etc. Do you find it to be more of a struggle to have to write things down. If you knew someone was capable of speaking but they had made a decision to become voice-off, would you feel like you wouldn't want to write things down or find other ways of communicating because they CAN talk, they just don't. I know each person is different, but I've never really asked any hearing people about this, other than my close friends.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I'm a hearing person :wave:
I worked at a Dept. store where I met my first Deaf person who came in with his 7yr old daughter. I noticed no one approaching him, so I did and his daughter translated for us. The next few times he came in he sought me out even if he didnt have his daughter. At the time I knew NO signs (not even the alphabet) but he appreciated the effort I put in. I grabbed a pen and paper for him and if he didnt know the name of the tool, he charaded (funniest thing when he's trying to charade an air compressor gun). I had fun with it to be completely honest and I think he did too.

I've never met a deaf person yet who is voice-on. The only similarity I can find is people from other countries whose first language isnt english. I've noticed (the people I met personally anyway) were a bit ruder to me when I couldn't understand their broken english. They wouldnt help me out by charading or anything. It goes both ways people! :D I'm more then willing to help someone out but I wont stand there looking like the idiot whose the only one putting in any effort

In my opinion (and no offense intended to anyone) - using your voice around a deaf person (unless it's his/her preferred mode) is just arrogant and rude.

Question...and sorry if it sounds dumb but I'm still new :aw: but I read that I was to sign as I talked. I don't sign in ASL very well yet (more SEE, but I'm working on it) and it was easier for people to understand. So...should I not talk at all? :hmm:

Actually, it would be nice to hear from a hearing person's perspective. (Which I take you're hearing from the post above.)

How do you view people who are voice-off, oral, sign/voice-off, etc. Do you find it to be more of a struggle to have to write things down. If you knew someone was capable of speaking but they had made a decision to become voice-off, would you feel like you wouldn't want to write things down or find other ways of communicating because they CAN talk, they just don't. I know each person is different, but I've never really asked any hearing people about this, other than my close friends.

I know quite a few people who are voice-off, and I've never really thought about it as a conscious decision they made, but just as a characteristic of those individuals. My first ASL teacher was voice-off, my daughter's deaf mentor (who is a widely known Deaf performance artist and writer) was v/o and while initially the communication was unfamiliar, it was fascinating to get to know these people, the conversation was focused entirely on my daughter rather than on either of us and I guess I was more aware of finding out more about who they were than how we were communicating. And these were the first Deaf adults I'd met, so I think my expectations were set by those two VERY different individuals who grew up in very different worlds, and so I haven't wondered about other Deaf adults and children I've met since who don't speak.

My ASL teacher might be able to talk, she mentioned that she'd grown up without ASL, learned it at college, but I don't think of it as her means of communicating and wouldn't expect her to use voice just because I speak.

Question...and sorry if it sounds dumb but I'm still new :aw: but I read that I was to sign as I talked. I don't sign in ASL very well yet (more SEE, but I'm working on it) and it was easier for people to understand. So...should I not talk at all? :hmm:

Personally, I'm not offended by people using their voice (while signing) around me. But, if a person knows ASL, but chooses to only voice (no sign) while in a deaf person's presence - yeah, that's rude. Or if I write down a message to someone (after explaining that I am deaf) and that person responds only with voice - yeah, that's rude too.

I do recommend you stop using your voice when you sign ASL. Voicing in English while attempting to sign ASL will only slow your progression in ASL. ASL and English are too different to use both at the same time (at least until you're super fluent in ASL). I've met only one or two interpreters who can comfortably speak in English while signing good ASL (they are both CODAs and ASL was their first language). I honestly didn't think it could be done until I met them.

I'm voice off some of the time ... for me it depends on the situation, who I'm communicating with, the topic etc.

I was born with SSD - and normal hearing on my left side (I'm now: +120bd deaf right, mild/mod flux left & APD).
I had a number of years (until about 10years old) where I had reasonable aural access to speech. I also had the added "benefit" of being the oldest child in my family, and having a strong preference for communicating with adults many of whom were highly intelligent, articulate professionals, teachers/profs - which meant that I had excellent language models as well as early exposure to advanced language/styles of speaking during my "SSD years". For this reason (and I lot of stubborn, hard work because my parents wanted a "hearing child") I developed 99% "hearing speech" although I struggled with "R", "CH", "SH","TH" etc for many years and still have difficultly with "R" especially if it's the initial letter/sound. It took years of practice for me to pronounce "regular" at all and honestly, it's the one word that I'm still uncomfortable saying even though it's now understandable.

For me - at least at this point in my life - "voice off" is a communicate/life choice I make in certain situations. One of the greatest challenges I personally face as a Hoh/Deaf person is that my voice & speech is TOO "hearing" which actually causes a lot of problems including people thinking I'm "lying" about being Hoh/Deaf and almost everyone forgetting that I AM Hoh/Deaf ... including my family (which at times is enough to reduce me to tears because it's SO frustrating that even after 33 years they STILL think of me as, and expect me to be hearing)

I can't picture a future where I'd go "voice off" completely - only because there are situations in which having understandable speech in helpful. One of the examples in my own life is that many members of my Brother-In-Law's Family are able to speak a little English, but are not able to read and write English AT ALL (they are from Argentina - so speak Spanish and Italian). This means that for me to communicate with them (and they're nice, so I want to be able to communicate with them!) I have two choices: Speak & speechread/listen in English with them, or learn to write Spanish and Italian. While I'd actually LOVE to learn to write and read Spanish and it is a long term goal of mine, I still have to figure out a way to communicate with them until then (and I do ok, not great - but we're all very patient with each other!)

I think that the most important thing to keep in mind is that you have to do what's right for you, and be honest with yourself and others. Being "voice off" doesn't make us "more Deaf" it just alters the way in which we interact with hearing people.

I'm fortunate to live in an area where there is a HUGE Deaf population, a very large ASL hearing population and a city and provincial government that ensures that interpreters are ALWAYS free of charge for medical appointments, education, government related activities (including government run "leisure" activities).
I'm fortunate to live in an area where Hoh/Deaf people have excellent access to university & college educational support services and are encouraged to attend college/university to become professionals.
I'm fortunate to live in an area where the hearing public looks at people signing and things "Oh, look they're signing" instead of "oh, look it's mentally challenged people" or even "oh, look DEAF people!" (we have a HUGE hearing ASL population!).

Most of all - I'm fortunate to live in an area with a large, supportive Hoh/Deaf community that values ASL, Deaf culture and cherishes the fact that each Hoh/Deaf person is unique - and that a Hoh/Deaf person who speaks, or using a HA (and now even CI) isn't "less Deaf" or "less valuable" to the Deaf community then someone who only signs has no hearing at all (& doesn't use HA or CI) and has always been & will always be voice off. The Deaf Community that surrounds me is strong enough to know that a Deaf persons who use ASL, and are proud of Deaf Culture who also have speech, listening skills, HA and/or CI don't detract from our Deaf Culture and Community - they ADD to it.

:gpost:

ASL is not intended to be accompanied by ANY speech at all. I'm not sure where you would have read otherwise as it's not correct. (sorry)

ASL and English have completely different grammar, so you can't actually speak English and sign ASL at the same time.

If you're signing, focus on signing. If you're speaking, focus on speaking.

I find that if an ASL student is trying to speak & sign (doing both together) that it's MUCH harder to understand their signs AND their speech because both become inaccurate and stilted.

You guys are scaring me, not really, as I get ready to take my first ASL class next week. Actually, reading some things on this particular forum has helped me prepare mentally. I have a somewhat better understanding of what to expect (like when I read the ASL Only thread).

You guys are scaring me, not really, as I get ready to take my first ASL class next week. Actually, reading some things on this particular forum has helped me prepare mentally. I have a somewhat better understanding of what to expect (like when I read the ASL Only thread).

You will be fine in your ASL class, I'm sure. It really isn't as difficult or confusing as it sounds. Just remember, you are painting a picture with your hands for others to see. What ever you would paint on the canvas first, second and so on is the way to sign it.

ASL is not intended to be accompanied by ANY speech at all. I'm not sure where you would have read otherwise as it's not correct. (sorry)

ASL and English have completely different grammar, so you can't actually speak English and sign ASL at the same time.

If you're signing, focus on signing. If you're speaking, focus on speaking.

I find that if an ASL student is trying to speak & sign (doing both together) that it's MUCH harder to understand their signs AND their speech because both become inaccurate and stilted.

Dont be sorry, I wont learn if no one teaches me how to do it the right way. I'll sign voice off from now on :ty:

I'm hearing and sometimes with I could go voice off! Talking (and listening) is exhausting for me some days -_-

That is one of the reasons i have rules for my friends in place.. Like in a restaurant - I order first, no matter what. Because once they mutter 1 word, the waiter listens to them not me and i wind up having to use them as an interpreter.
That's an interesting perspective. I may have to adopt that practice with my son when he's older (he just turned 5). It's interesting to watch how hearing people respond to deaf individuals. My family will be in a restaurant, and it's obvious that we're signing to my son and he's signing to us, but most waitresses will insist on speaking to him as if they're doing him a favor even though he stares at them blankly and needs us to interpret.

That's an interesting perspective. I may have to adopt that practice with my son when he's older (he just turned 5). It's interesting to watch how hearing people respond to deaf individuals. My family will be in a restaurant, and it's obvious that we're signing to my son and he's signing to us, but most waitresses will insist on speaking to him as if they're doing him a favor even though he stares at them blankly and needs us to interpret.

It's tough with a 5 year old, but kudos to the waitress for addressing him directly. It's terribly insulting as an adult to have a waitress ask my companions what "she" wants (pointing to me)...

Back