What are some of the cooking difficulties that Deaf people face?

akilla89

Reaction score
Hello, I hope everyone is having a good day. I am a UX design student working on creating a cooking tutorial website that is accessible to the majority of people. I was wondering what are some of the challenges that deaf people face when looking for recipes online and attempting to follow the recipe as they cook? Thank you very much.

Last edited:
The only issue for me is maybe not hearing the timer beep on the stove to tell me something is done. I have two solutions for that. The easiest one is to tell Siri to set an alarm on my Apple Watch, so it buzzes when something is done. Or I use a portable timer and watch that. Other than that I don’t think being HOH causes any problems when cooking.

Of course if it’s an online cooking show or demonstration, not just a recipe, then I need to have captions.

I recently went to a cooking class, and as long as I was in direct sight of the Chef to lip read, I didn't miss much. I also brought my flash timer with me. It is like a little cooking timer with a flash that goes off, very handy.

Videos could just add captions and you can pause like any other video. Not sure it really is much of a difference than a hearing person simply not catching everything said. Also some videos have a downloadable transcribe where you can pull it up and have what is being said already there for you to see as well. or even to print.

Back