What Are Jobs Deaf People Can't Do?

The CDIs that I am aware of... watch a hearing certified interpreter (as in maybe on stage or interpreting for a teacher/speaker/lecturer and sign to the deaf person-- either translating what they see the interpreter signs into more ASL format or they may even also be interpreters for deaf-blind people (either "up close interpreting" or "tactile interpreting"... I don't know if the newer method of signing to the deaf person via specialized signing on the back is widespread enough yet but have seen it).

Wouldn't surprise me if there ARE deaf who do telephone work though-- via VRS if they know sign/ASL.

I'm sure that deaf cannot do Air Traffic controller type work.

Police officer. You could hear the guns shooting but it would be difficult to find where they come from.

rail traffic control center. Lot of communication and radioing train operators. Similar to air traffic controller.

I've not been following this thread very closely but can't pianos be tuned with a metronome?
I google metronomes and you're right ! I forget about metronome , I believe I heard of deaf piano tuners someplace . They can feel the vibration
that is how Helen Keller learned how to talk by feeling her teacher mouth .

Police officer. You could hear the guns shooting but it would be difficult to find where they come from.

Maybe but wouldn't there be the possibility of just desk jobs in police work that deaf people could theoretically do and not be one who is directly involved with street or detective work? Curious about that.... :hmm:

I've not been following this thread very closely but can't pianos be tuned with a metronome?

Quick google says yes to using a metronome. So for deaf folks- if they work as a piano tuner, they'd probably use that as a visual aid in tuning. The link WDYS posted has only one answer without any resources to point to other than the writer's own experience...(maybe?) so not sure how credible that is. Googling doesn't bring up any known deaf piano tuners though it's probably not impossible in this age of tech.

I google metronomes and you're right ! I forget about metronome , I believe I heard of deaf piano tuners someplace . They can feel the vibration
that is how Helen Keller learned how to talk by feeling her teacher mouth .

No Pianos can't be tuned with a metronome. I metronome is a device which measures time not pitch.

For that matter a piano can't be correctly tuned with a electronic tuner either because pianos are "tempered" which means that each note is tuned uniquely (not exactly "in tune") so that it blends and balances with the rest of the notes (because pianos play chords, so the chords need to blend - if each of the notes were tuned with a tuner, this wouldn't happen).

(Disclaimer : I work in the music industry, know many professional piano tuners and yes I'm Hoh/D)

No Pianos can't be tuned with a metronome. I metronome is a device which measures time not pitch.

For that matter a piano can't be correctly tuned with a electronic tuner either because pianos are "tempered" which means that each note is tuned uniquely (not exactly "in tune") so that it blends and balances with the rest of the notes (because pianos play chords, so the chords need to blend - if each of the notes were tuned with a tuner, this wouldn't happen).

(Disclaimer : I work in the music industry, know many professional piano tuners and yes I'm Hoh/D)
I know metronomes are use measure time but I also found a link to use them to tone piano. We had one and a piano tuner come to our house and he used a toning fork this was about 62 years ago. .

I know metronomes are use measure time but I also found a link to use them to tone piano. We had one and a piano tuner come to our house and he used a toning fork this was about 62 years ago. .
How about sharing the link then.

Here's one I found: http://howtotuneapiano.com/blog/piano-tuning-procedure-2/
A metronome
Any metronome will do, but one of those small digital ones would be perfect. A metronome will be very handy in early learning so that we can practice and check the accuracy of the beat rates we use when tuning a piano. When we are accustomed to hearing and recognizing the beat rates, then will not need the metronome anymore.
The metronome is not used to TUNE the piano, but to assist in tuning the piano, according to this.

Metronomes just keep time. A tuning fork is used for pitch. There are electronic tuners so maybe it could be done without hearing.

Metronomes just keep time. A tuning fork is used for pitch. There are electronic tuners so maybe it could be done without hearing.
I check the ad out and it was written badly , it's a metronome and piano tuner in one unit. I have no idea if the guy tuning our piano was doing anything with his
tuning fork . I do know he was making money!

How about sharing the link then.

Here's one I found: http://howtotuneapiano.com/blog/piano-tuning-procedure-2/

The metronome is not used to TUNE the piano, but to assist in tuning the piano, according to this.

**sigh**

The use of a metronome is a *teaching tool* for those learning how to tune a piano so they can learn what various temperament sounds like. They LISTEN to the beats between various intervals and then use the metronome to help them count how many beats happen in a minute. It's like watching the second hand on a clock, to see how fast a the water drips from a tap.

It's a tool sometimes used when students are learning the trade of piano tuning, but no actual trained piano tuner actually uses a metronome. (or a Tuner, usually)

**sigh**

The use of a metronome is a *teaching tool* for those learning how to tune a piano so they can learn what various temperament sounds like. They LISTEN to the beats between various intervals and then use the metronome to help them count how many beats happen in a minute. It's like watching the second hand on a clock, to see how fast a the water drips from a tap.

It's a tool sometimes used when students are learning the trade of piano tuning, but no actual trained piano tuner actually uses a metronome. (or a Tuner, usually)

Which is what the quote in my post said. Plus what the linked webpage said. Perhaps I mis-worded my post explaining this.

Back