Wells Fargo Discrimination!!

I don't agree with you on that. I think NAD should be notified about this issue. I am not an lawyer but I believe a civil suit usually get their attention and force them to resolve issues (most of the times) before going to court.

Everyone, including hearing and deaf face risk of ID thief, that is sad reality. To minimize the risk, use COMMON sense, like not clicking untrusted links on email or websites. Don't give out unnecessary information to anyone unless you have to. I sign up credit monitoring service (I get free 3-1 credit report each month), I get email/text notification within 24 hours if someone signup new account or check my credit reports.. It pretty cheap, i paid $6.95/mo.. If you are really concerned, you can put a credit freeze on all 3 companies, if anyone tries to open an account, bank/store are required to call you (on credit file) to VERIFY that you filled out application. I can go on and on, but it all come down to basic common sense.. We shouldn't be penalized for being deaf using latest communication technology.

I have never experienced this issue with anybody with VP service with VCO option enabled. I am fortunate that I can speak clear enough but I have "deaf" accent which can sometime make people have hard time understanding me if they are not a great "listener". Sometime when a person still couldn't understand me, I signs to the interpreter to voice it out for me.

It is too high risk if you really want WF to accept a video relay service. I think that you will be terribly sorry for your own mistake that you would never get your money back. I would never trust the relay on TTY and video - no matter what. It's too bad that you are deaf, and you just have to accept that you have to go and meet in person. I really understand it, but it's your money, for sake.

I don't agree with you on that. I think NAD should be notified about this issue. I am not an lawyer but I believe a civil suit usually get their attention and force them to resolve issues (most of the times) before going to court.

Everyone, including hearing and deaf face risk of ID thief, that is sad reality. To minimize the risk, use COMMON sense, like not clicking untrusted links on email or websites. Don't give out unnecessary information to anyone unless you have to. I sign up credit monitoring service (I get free 3-1 credit report each month), I get email/text notification within 24 hours if someone signup new account or check my credit reports.. It pretty cheap, i paid $6.95/mo.. If you are really concerned, you can put a credit freeze on all 3 companies, if anyone tries to open an account, bank/store are required to call you (on credit file) to VERIFY that you filled out application. I can go on and on, but it all come down to basic common sense.. We shouldn't be penalized for being deaf using latest communication technology.

I have never experienced this issue with anybody with VP service with VCO option enabled. I am fortunate that I can speak clear enough but I have "deaf" accent which can sometime make people have hard time understanding me if they are not a great "listener". Sometime when a person still couldn't understand me, I signs to the interpreter to voice it out for me.

I think that it is free for you to look up your records from three companies once a year or so. There is no law for charging them monthly, but it is a legal for the company to charge their customers if the customers want to continue their subscription. I will have to look it up later from other website - I think it's from a bankrate website.

Right.. But the monitoring service is not free.. I use creditmonitoring.citi.com service, but I think their price is around $14/mo, but I got it lowered to $6.95 couple years ago which I think it was fair price considering you get monthly reports/scores along with alert notification.. I know I can do away for free, but it is small price for peace of mind knowing I would be alerted if there is possible fraud plus they offer service to help you if ID thief were to occurs. It take many many numbers of hours to clean up the mess thief leave, so they would take care of that for me if that occurs.

As far as I am aware, law requires credit agencies to provide you free yearly reports as you stated but also you can get free credit report if you were denied a loan or other credit account within past 60 days.

I think that it is free for you to look up your records from three companies once a year or so. There is no law for charging them monthly. I will have to look it up later from other website - I think it's from a bankrate website.

I found this video and I thought this would be helpful to get through to everyone. Here it is:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ggLNyLUu8]YouTube - No VRS, No Bank[/ame]

BartSimpsx24x does have a good point. What is the point to bring old fashioned TTYs back to the table while we don't currently have one? It is not necessary to use ttys because it will be required phone line that deaf people are no longer need to use phone line which can works for Tty and AOL, earthlink, etc. Most of deaf people have high speed internet that works any videophones. Vps are excellent to use to call relays to explain what are you trying to talking about. Hearing people need to understand that lot of deaf people are not really good using the old fashioned ttys with their reading and grammar skills. It is very hard to communicate with relays on ttys. VRS are good service to use for deaf people who has reading or english problems and couldn't use the ttys. iT might gave them having difficult times. It is time to END this! The man in Youtube video had shown his opinion was really insulted. I am definetly disagreed with his opinion. That's it.

Look in his youtube video.
YouTube - Responding To Alldeaf.com Rumors - Wells Fargo Does Not Discriminate Against Deaf

Yes, I had seen this video a while ago and thought he was soooooo insulting. Every vlog he makes, I always disagreed with his vlog no matter what he says...

Can someone translate please for the hearie that has lost alot of her ASL? lol thanks

Okee doke... This is what the guy said in the video (as far as I understood it). (disclaimer: not my words or thoughts, just interpreting what the guy said in the video)

Hello everyone!

I want to share my experience with you about a bank. I've been with Wells Fargo for many years and have a good relationship with them, until VRS showed up. Since communication has been so-so, I had a question that I wanted to discuss and called through vrs, they said no. They said they have tty ready. The old days are over. I threw it away and upgraded to sophisticated tech. I warned the bank that they would enjoy VRS. It's fast, and quick. They stubbornly said no. They said that I have to go into a local branch to explain and discuss. If you don't use 1800 number, then deal with the branch directly.

I called the branch through VRS, still no. What do I do? Two options: 1) Fight with Wells Fargo. 2) There are many banks out there. I thought I'd look at different services at different banks. First, I'll call through VRS. If they reject VRS, I'll skip them and move on to the next bank. I'll evaluate 3 banks. If they all reject VRS, then I will go back to Wells Fargo. First bank I tried, they accepted VRS. What? accepted? I discussed with bank, better services, better deal. Great advantages. I finished the evaluations.

Back at Wells Fargo, I closed my account. They asked why I wanted to close the account. I said, "V R S." Well... no VRS, no bank from us.

Now, my point is that all of us deaf, who have Wells Fargo bank and realized yes, vrs frustration with bank saying 'no'. Any of us can not support use a downgraded technology level, to tty, and tolerate it. VRS is easy and fast. I realized, look at hearing talking on phone, we can sign fast and feel progressive. I encourage you in the deaf community to feel comfortable and progressive. You all think about that. Again make sure that you all know that is your right.

What are your questions that you want to ask the WF? Not releated to VRS.

It not just question but it could be related to VRS. Wells Fargo keep rejecting calls from VRS and you MUST use TTY. What if a customer of Wells Fargo Bank don't use TTY or threw out the TTY, then they would have to use VRS. If the customers used VRS, then they are screwed without TTY. It made lot of people very angry that the bank REFUSED to take calls from customers who used VRS. That is why the guy in the video is pissed off at the bank. In the video, the bank representative asked him why he leaving, he said, "No VRS, no bank" Which it mean he fed up with the bank for not accepting his calls from VRS so therefore he left the bank unsatisfied.

I know TTY is really like old dinosaur technology and people just store them away in attic or in the garage and they might not plan on using them again. In today's world of technology, many deaf people are now using videophone. I guess Wells Fargo Bank really need to keep up with the technology today.

Do you think that Wells Fargo is discriminated against deaf, not keeping up with today's world, or they did nothing against them? What do you think Wells Fargo should be doing? Do you think they should force deaf people to use TTY or they will be willing to listen to deaf people and accept the calls through VRS. What do you think? Fair or not fair to you?

I called that 800 toll free number this morning because WF got suspicious about some possible fraud activities on my credit card. To the realization, I warned VRS interpreter not to reveal the word of VRS interpreter to WF because it will be more likely to get rejected. Interpreter warned me that representative was ready to ask me some questions..I answered to all the questions. It was taken care of. I told the representative that I did purchase stuff on my credit card, but next day, I decided not to keep items, then returned them back. That's all.

Whew!

Okee doke... This is what the guy said in the video (as far as I understood it). (disclaimer: not my words or thoughts, just interpreting what the guy said in the video)

Thanks for the translation Watermelon. I was picking up sings here & there but he was going so fast that most of the time I was getting confused.
*sighs* this just proves to me that I need to practice more to become 'perfect'. lol

Dear xgoofyguyx,

i never using Wells Fargo customer i never know about you have problems with that i know well fargo totally disrespect to deaf people i dont like that.

my mom's friend using that Wells Fargo and cost her!! when my mom's friend still in California but never return i have no clue but my mom's friend should come home anytimes..

many million people can sued that company for more reasons what needs and also expect closed accounts for good excuse im rather not include with that im warns you..

Attention: Deaf Customers of Financial Institutions

Disability Rights Advocates is continuing to investigate complaints from deaf customers of financial institutions concerning the widespread industry practice of failing to accept calls made through a relay service.

If you have tried to conduct business with a bank or other financial institution through a relay service and have had your relay call refused, or if the institution hung up on your relay call, we would like to talk to you.

Please email Beau Saccoccia at bsaccoccia@dralegal.org or call 510-665-8644 through the relay service, to share your story. DRA can also be reached via TTY at 510-665-8716.

Any information you share with us will be kept confidential and will help us stop this unlawful practice.

NAD is suing Wells Fargo!

"The Federal Communications Commission has repeatedly explained that relay services are the functional equivalent of telephone services. If a bank accepts telephone calls, then it must also accept relay calls."
Michael Stein - Lawyer for NAD

Above quote taken from this article:
NAD Sues Wells Fargo Over Failure to Accept Relay Calls

Yay! Finally some action against WF bank who stupidly will not accept relay calls. If other banks can accept relay calls then why can't they? They can verify the account the same way they would with ANY customer. Just because you can't hear the voice of the caller doesn't mean anything! You cannot ID someone based on their voice anyway. WF doesn't have a leg to stand on. I can't wait to see the end result of this lawsuit.

Just my opinion, until WF apologizes for their stupid policy and changes it, do not patronize their business. Take your customer power elsewhere. Support banks who treat deaf and hard of hearing customers with the respect they deserve.

I have that problem with my bank in past until they research and realized that FCC is become requirement for VRS with 10 digits number may reduce their worry and start training the employee.

It happen to me when that first time I call and they refuse accept.. what I did.. repeat repeat repeat repeat. Are you Deaf and can I have VP#, repeat repeat and they gave up and ask what do I want. I want to speak with supervisor and transfer me to their supervisor. So on... so I kind of being rude about any Deaf employee who can take the videophone. They say no... I asked anyone know employee knows sign language? They say no... I ask then how the heck I can communicate with you guy! They say come in person. I ask why not you do same thing with among people who is Hearing like you!

So on they are start changing.... I don't know what cause.. I don't know how many Deaf people use that bank.

I found funny and do you guy miss him, he say we must use TTY and he grin at us?

I don't have a fucking tty anymore!

Look like Wells Fargo company haven't change the damn policy to accept relay calls. We will never give up. Don't give up! Even, if you are a WF customer. Let shall see what next.

I am having the same problem with my former insurance company, State Farm. I am filing a title III ADA complaint against them.

For the past 4 years I dealt with one person from my agency, and that person has ALWAYS sent me an email when my bill was due or late and I never had interruption or cancellation.

So, new person works there and NEVER sent me email or ANY notification that my policy was cancelled.

I called using VP, the guy says ... well obviously you can communicate by phone :roll: so we don't need send you any emails.

After explaining that I have done business with them for FOUR years this way, he said it did not matter. I then asked him how many devices his office had that allowed them to communicate with deaf/HoH customers. His mind went blank.

I then asked, does your office have phones? He said yes.

Oh, so your office ONLY communicates with people who can hear, as you ONLY have devices that communicate with hearing, and you absolutely screw people over who cannot? Is this your new office policy? An EMAIL is 100% effective communication for me and you refused to use it.

I was absolutely pissed off .... If they had sent me an email, I would have made payment just like I have been doing the past 4 years. They NEVER contacted me when cancelled my policy and refused service.

I am having the same problem with my former insurance company, State Farm. I am filing a title III ADA complaint against them.

For the past 4 years I dealt with one person from my agency, and that person has ALWAYS sent me an email when my bill was due or late and I never had interruption or cancellation.

So, new person works there and NEVER sent me email or ANY notification that my policy was cancelled.

I called using VP, the guy says ... well obviously you can communicate by phone :roll: so we don't need send you any emails.

After explaining that I have done business with them for FOUR years this way, he said it did not matter. I then asked him how many devices his office had that allowed them to communicate with deaf/HoH customers. His mind went blank.

I then asked, does your office have phones? He said yes.

Oh, so your office ONLY communicates with people who can hear, as you ONLY have devices that communicate with hearing, and you absolutely screw people over who cannot? Is this your new office policy? An EMAIL is 100% effective communication for me and you refused to use it.

I was absolutely pissed off .... If they had sent me an email, I would have made payment just like I have been doing the past 4 years. They NEVER contacted me when cancelled my policy and refused service.

I'm sorry but I don't understand. Why should they notify you by email if the bill is due or late? I've never heard of this. The only time I talked to them via IP RELAY is when I wanted to ask about its rate and coverage.... and then I signed up. that was the first and last communication I had with them.

all other matter like billing.... it's done by mail. no problem.

I get reminders all the time from my insurance company.

Back