Wells Fargo Discrimination!!

This is one reason why we need all VRS to agree and set a standard on Caller ID feature so hearing busniess can see our own number on Caller ID instead of Relay's service number.

And good ole Sorenson is giving other VRS a hard time on Caller ID issue - http://www.alldeaf.com/relay-servic...s-cdvrs-files-petition-againist-sorenson.html

Right now we can get hearing people Caller ID when they call us using our 10 digit number so I am sure that hearing people or business can get our 10 digit number on their Caller ID so they know the calls is not coming from Nigrea.

One person suggested me (I can't tell you who) that I have to remind the Vrs interpreter to tell the businesses who does not accept relays that they don't have to tell inform them that they are relay interpreter and they just have to say my name and give the info you need to give. They won't identity the interpreter so they will just think I am speaking to them but it is not. I am talking through interpreter and it worked to call the customer service. It finally successed but it was very awkward to talk interpreter while they have to speak through to the banker. Kinda difficult but not that bad. Tho, it might not that easy but It finally work to get it through the banker! Now I know the answers from customer care. You can do same thing that way I did but you don't have to if you feel not safe or don't want to get in trouble. I don't urge you to do that. Just remind you how i got through the bank policy. Am I doing right thing or what? I just tired of strict no relay policy. THat's how I get suggested by someone. It wasn't my idea at all. I hope I am not breaking rules. It was only one time once.

Hi there,

I am the USBank customer, when I logged into my bank account on my computer, and then it;s locked out for online, then I called my bank thru VRS, and I spoke with customer service which letter cap or lower in my passphrase questions. I gave my last digit of SS and etc.. till they checked in my account, customer service told me use lower letter. Ah! I got it.. and then customer service unlocking on my banking online.. I thanked to the USBank Customer Service.. my USBank knew "VIdeo Relay Service", it's great service.. I've been banking with USBank for 16 years!

ummm, I don't know sign languages, How am i suppose to use Video calls?

U can do it in the old fashioned way..TTY, which these banks have anyway. Most deaf people who are fluent in ASL no longer have TTYs. These banks arent accepting any relay calls whether thru VRS or online relay.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I am the USBank customer, when I logged into my bank account on my computer, and then it;s locked out for online, then I called my bank thru VRS, and I spoke with customer service which letter cap or lower in my passphrase questions. I gave my last digit of SS and etc.. till they checked in my account, customer service told me use lower letter. Ah! I got it.. and then customer service unlocking on my banking online.. I thanked to the USBank Customer Service.. my USBank knew "VIdeo Relay Service", it's great service.. I've been banking with USBank for 16 years!

That's wonderful! I would be more happy to transfer your account to a special account into my bank. It will take care of you everything. :D

Hmm, I could be wrong (again) but don't some VRS co.'s have "face to face" vids? One I use has 3 screens. Op in middle. Oh, I am probably just confused again, but isnt that hovrs? My camera isn't so hot anyway. I've been hoping to get one of the new mpv's but not this year I guess. Another AD'er helped me set up the cam. (thank you very much)

Surely there must be easier way for deaf folks to have same privelege as others? I understand banks want all to be secure. One good thing about being "the deaf lady" in town - it's not a big bank here. All the ladies know me. I can email the mgr or bank prez (I have known him since he was a clerk). That would not do if I was travelling a lot I guess. Plus, email is not so fast as VRS. Not all banks would have the necessary programs even if I was right about the VRS co. I would guess.

Hmm, I could be wrong (again) but don't some VRS co.'s have "face to face" vids? One I use has 3 screens. Op in middle. Oh, I am probably just confused again, but isnt that hovrs? My camera isn't so hot anyway. I've been hoping to get one of the new mpv's but not this year I guess. Another AD'er helped me set up the cam. (thank you very much).

VRS is sorenson Relay. Not hovrs. But almost same as Hovrs. I never seen 3 screens. VRS only 2 screen, me and relay that's all. Relay have a headphone on their head and speak to hearing people..I can't see hearing people, only see Relay person who is interpreter.

Same goes to Hovrs. We still use sorenson VP100 or VP200, to call hovrs..like hovrs.tv that's the phone number for relay. It's just different kind of company for interpreters. They think hovrs is better than VRS relay. sorenson VRS is on television screen. Not computer.

But if you want use webcam on computer to talk with relay to any hearing person, then go to i711.com - Relay & Beyond there you will see say video relay. Click that then call, simple.

You could always try calling relay and tell the relay operator not to function as a relay operator, but as an interpreter instead (without using "go ahead", "sign off", or announce herself).

My friend did that a couple times when ordering something online. He ordered a computer part, but the company wouldn't take his call because it was relay. So, after a few attempts... my friend finally got the relay operator to act as an interpreter. When the call was made, my friend made sure the relay operator was a male (since my friend was male and wanted a male voice)... the relay operator did not announce himself (explain the service, etc)... talked as if he was a real interpreter (no use of "go ahead")... etc.

He finally got the transaction completed.

Hi - my name is Faye Kuo and I am an attorney with Advocacy, Incorporated. Advocacy is a non profit agency that provides legal and advocacy services to people with disabilities in Texas. I'm interested in talking to some of you about the discrimination you've experienced in trying to use the relay to call your bank. I am actually interested in anyone from Texas who has had the same/similar experience with Wachovia. However, since Wells Fargo and Wachovia are merging, I would also be interested in talking to any WF customer, as well - including those of you who were interested in opening a credit card or account with WF/Wachovia but were not able to due to the fact that they do not take relay calls. My e-mail is fkuo@advocacyinc.org and I also have VP, but e-mail me first to get things set up... thanks!

This is very nice of advocacy. What do you at advocacy do when drs refuse to get terps for deaf patients, or other deaf problems? Like when your boss continues to make fun, or is it only when big businesses like banks such as Wells and Wachovia are concerned? I think this post sounds snippy - sorry - but I really do want this answer. Thank you

This is very nice of advocacy. What do you at advocacy do when drs refuse to get terps for deaf patients, or other deaf problems? Like when your boss continues to make fun, or is it only when big businesses like banks such as Wells and Wachovia are concerned? I think this post sounds snippy - sorry - but I really do want this answer. Thank you

Hi Nan -

I don't think it sounds snippy at all. I know you are frustrated, as are the rest of the members in the deaf/hh community. It will take all of us working together in order to resolve the issue(s). As I mentioned in a private e-mail to you last night (before I saw this post), drs not providing effective communication is a problem everywhere else, not just Texas. We have yet to find that magical solution that will fix everything and so in the meantime, we have to do what we can with the resources we have. There is an idea floating about as to how we can resolve the dr problem, but it is not easy to implement. If any of you have heard of the "Sign Up Fund" (which allowed attorneys in Texas to pay for auxiliary aids and services such as terps or CART), the idea for the medical field would be similar to that.

As for problems such as employment discrimination (e.g., boss making fun), we do handle those complaints, as well. We help clients file an EEOC/TWC charge of discrimination and if it comes to mediation, we can also act as their counsel. But the individual has to contact us in order for us to even begin to try to help. At the same time, we cannot accept every single case that comes in although we try to accept as many as we can. As is true with other non profits affected by this economy, we have to make the best use of the resources we have.

So when it comes to litigation, we try to pick cases that we believe will have a systemic impact on whatever issue is at hand. Hence the focus on bigger companies. If they are brought into compliance, then it is more likely that more folks will be affected and also more likely that the smaller companies will follow suit.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. If you have any more qqs or concerns, feel free to e-mail or post and I will reply.

Faye

Well that's because if you're using a TTY machine to call Wells Fargo, you're not using any Internet Relay services. They got your information through Caller ID. When Wells Fargo gets a call through an Internet relay service, they don't get your Caller ID. Instead, they get the caller ID from the relay service. In other words, if you use an Internet relay service, you are anonymous from the one you're calling through.

So if someone were to call WF's TTY line using Nextalk (or any other TTY emulator program) on their computer, what would happen?

Thanks for your answer. I think your answer is good for all deaf/hoh. Our economy is hopefully improving. Maybe soon Advocacy will be able to help all of us more. Now that I understand what you are doing, I am glad that you are here and have made your helpful offer. Thank you for trying to help.

Okay, I read all of your messages. It is very tragedy to hear how you feel about businesses being discrimated all of us! That's how I feel about my bank. I know it is unfair to all of us that hearing people can do anything while deaf people can't do anything. I know that feelings. (Sighs). I can't believe this world is not even grow up! One thing, I am kinda feel better because one company that is deaf friendly if you heard about it. It is Southwest Airline that do accept VRS and do have own business numbers. I used that one through VRS and I was happy with it. I decided to call to make new ticket reservation and southwest worker have been good service to me. Southwest airlines is my first time to hear that they are happy to work through Vrs! If you need that information to call. Call SWAVRS.TV. They don't even offer TDD/TTY service. PHEW! I like that way! F(Bleep) to Wells Fargo and many businesses who doesn't accept VRS, any relays and even DISCRIMINATING on deaf people who are not happy with their services! That's my point!

Okay, I read all of your messages. It is very tragedy to hear how you feel about businesses being discrimated all of us! That's how I feel about my bank. I know it is unfair to all of us that hearing people can do anything while deaf people can't do anything. I know that feelings. (Sighs). I can't believe this world is not even grow up! One thing, I am kinda feel better because one company that is deaf friendly if you heard about it. It is Southwest Airline that do accept VRS and do have own business numbers. I used that one through VRS and I was happy with it. I decided to call to make new ticket reservation and southwest worker have been good service to me. Southwest airlines is my first time to hear that they are happy to work through Vrs! If you need that information to call. Call SWAVRS.TV. They don't even offer TDD/TTY service. PHEW! I like that way! F(Bleep) to Wells Fargo and many businesses who doesn't accept VRS, any relays and even DISCRIMINATING on deaf people who are not happy with their services! That's my point!
Yeah, it's sad that some companies get defensive when it comes to special services or anything of the sort.

A lot of it is to be blamed on hearing people abusing the service. There was a time years ago when online relay services started rejecting international calls. It was because hearing people from other countries were abusing the online relay service.

I am sorry that you are having a hard time. I am also Well Fargo customer.

I understand why the agent cannot help you with that because it is very very easy for a non-honest interpreter on the video relay service to steal your ID and your face. It does not mean that Well Fargo is bad, and they have to right to protect their customers' money no matter what.

I am sure that your family or brother/sister would have wired the money to you so that you could pay it back later.

Please do NOT use Western Union because it is extremely bad company which is in Canada (headquarter) because it is very popular for scammers to use in their business. In short, Western Union do not deal with deaf people. (Oh, yes believe me.) We need our congress to shut down the entire Western Unions in the United States.

I totally agree!

Aww I am so sorry that you had a bad experience with Wells Fargo. I, myself, don't like Wells Fargo either. I am glad that I am not their customer. I like MY bank better and had no problem ever since 1995. :)

I agree... Just about 5 mins ago, I was trying to call to pay for my water bill and the person on the phone keeps saying to call the TTY line and then disconnecting. I am like, "Huh..I dont have a TTY nor a phone line anymore! "

I wonder if it has to do with the Nigerian scams taking over the relay services making them change their policies. Now, I am wondering if the county changed theirs too.

That 's just so wrong...hearing people do not like to be inconvienced...too FUCKING bad for them!

Please understand that it's not all hearing people :(

Back