Well, isn't this just ironic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWA

Premium Member
Reaction score
Netflix just released See What I'm Saying on streaming. You know: it's the documentary about Deaf entertainers overcoming the challenges of appealing to both hearing and Deaf audiences. It got great reviews, etc. etc.

And guess what...

NETFLIX DIDN'T RELEASE IT WITH STREAMING SUBTITLES!!!!

This is the last straw with these damn pricks. This was clearly a snub at the Deaf community. Has the NAD filed that class action lawsuit yet? It's time to take Netflix to the cleaners.

Edit: Alright. I'm wrong. I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Netflix just released See What I'm Saying on streaming. You know: it's the documentary about Deaf entertainers overcoming the challenges of appealing to both hearing and Deaf audiences. It got great reviews, etc. etc.

And guess what...

This is the last straw with these damn pricks. This was clearly a snub at the Deaf community. Has the NAD filed that class action lawsuit yet? It's time to take Netflix to the cleaners.

The streamed version I've seen on Netflix has subtitles on both spoken and signed content in the video. I've only watched it on my mac, though, haven't tried it using the roku.

Geez...time to take a class action lawsuit.

The streamed version I've seen on Netflix has subtitles on both spoken and signed content in the video. I've only watched it on my mac, though, haven't tried it using the roku.

What I saw only had subtitles for the signed content. When there is a voice over for the signing, there is no subtitles. Are you sure you you saw subtitles for the voice content?

From what I understand, this movie was shown originally with open captions as part of the presentation. If this is correct, that means Netflix went out of their way to actually remove the subtitles for the voice content...

Edit: okay, I spoke too soon. The first sequence with Robert Demayo didn't have subtitles for the voice over of his signing. I realize now that this is probably the intent of the movie, because the voice over isn't necessary to understand what he was saying, even for someone with weak ASL and no hearing, but I thought it was going to be like that for the entire movie.

Last edited:

And guess what...

How are you watching it? Through the computer or..?

Ah, I guess I should have watched more than the first few minutes. The beginning did not have subtitles for voices, but after a few minutes, they kicked in....

Has anyone heard about the Amazon Prime adding videos and stuff? Just go to the amazon.com front page and you'll see the letter.....though....79 bucks per year just to "upgrade to paid Amazon Prime membership".

Clearly I have a big beef with Netflix, so I didn't wait to see the rest of the movie after the first sequence of voice-over with no subtitles. My apologies.

I guess we should just lock this thread up?

... And, folks, that is a classic example of what happens if you let your emotions cloud your judgment.

:)

... And, folks, that is a classic example of what happens if you let your emotions cloud your judgment.

:)

Well, to be fair, I wasn't planning to watch the full movie this morning; I was just checking to see if there were subtitles, and when I didn't see them right away, I went straight for the throat. Had I been intending to watch the whole thing, I probably would have waited before making that post.

Hey, I'm a hothead. What can I say? :aw:

But, we all know Netflix is not a group of saints...

Well, to be fair, I wasn't planning to watch the full movie this morning; I was just checking to see if there were subtitles, and when I didn't see them right away, I went straight for the throat. Had I been intending to watch the whole thing, I probably would have waited before making that post.

Hey, I'm a hothead. What can I say? :aw:

Well, that is something you have never denied which says a lot about you. At least you are honest. :) More people could take lessons from you.

Netflix is aware of it and they didn't intentionally ignore it. They are still working on subtitle issue for most of its contents but it's still extremely difficult. even Google/Youtube knows this.

http://blog.netflix.com/2009/06/closed-captions-and-subtitles.html
This is Neil Hunt, Chief Product Officer at Netflix. We've had some inquiries about why Netflix doesn't yet provide closed captioning or subtitles for streaming movies and TV episodes. Captioning is in our development plans but is about a year away.

You might be asking how it could be so hard, since we already subtitle foreign language streams with English subtitles. These subtitles are "burned in" to the video stream at the time of encoding - they are so-called "open captions" that cannot be turned on and off by the viewer. The majority of viewers would object to English captions on English content, so we have to figure out how to let individual viewers turn them on and off.

Encoding a separate stream for each title is not an option - it takes us about 500 processor-months to make one encode through the entire library, and for this we would have to re-encode four different formats. Duplicating the encoded streams is prohibitive in space too.

So we are working on optionally delivering the SAMI file (Synchronized Accessible Media Interchange), or similar, to the client, and having it render the text and then overlay it on the video at playback time. Unfortunately, the tools for rendering SAMI files in Silverlight, or in CE (Consumer Electronics) devices, are weak or non-existent, and there is some technology development required.

I would expect to deliver subtitles or captions to Silverlight clients sometime in 2010, and roll the same technology out to each CE device as we are able to migrate the technology, and work with the CE manufacturer to deliver firmware updates for each player.

Netflix is aware of it and they didn't intentionally ignore it. They are still working on subtitle issue for most of its contents but it's still extremely difficult. even Google/Youtube knows this.

http://blog.netflix.com/2009/06/closed-captions-and-subtitles.html

That is and old post, man. Very old news in the Netflix streaming debate. Have you been paying attention to the whole Netflix thing? There is a lot of outrage, enough to get the NAD involved, and I think 99% of it is justified.

Also, if adding subtitles is so hard, how come, using a few tools available on the internet and a little bit of brain juice, some people have been able to figure out how to get captions for every Netflix streaming movie. See this thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...nnounced-steaming-video-update-subtitles.html

I remember posting on someone's FB page and a wife of someone involved on the very project commented, saying that it was indeed true that Netflix was dragging their feet on the issue.

That is and old post, man. Very old news in the Netflix streaming debate. Have you been paying attention to the whole Netflix thing? There is a lot of outrage, enough to get the NAD involved, and I think 99% of it is justified.

Also, if adding subtitles is so hard, how come, using a few tools available on the internet and a little bit of brain juice, some people have been able to figure out how to get captions for every Netflix streaming movie. See this thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...nnounced-steaming-video-update-subtitles.html

I remember posting on someone's FB page and a wife of someone involved on the very project commented, saying that it was indeed true that Netflix was dragging their feet on the issue.

I am aware of latest update but I showed you the old post so that you know what it takes to get it working.

and what people did is illegal.... something that Netflix can't obviously do.

I am aware of latest update but I showed you the old post so that you know what it takes to get it working.

and what people did is illegal.... something that Netflix can't obviously do.

Okay, I see. Well, I'm also aware of Netflix's reasons and justifications for what basically amounts to discrimination. I just don't believe them. Most people don't believe them.

Just look at Hulu; it wasn't hard for them...

Mod note:

Thread closed per OP's request. :locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back