Weening off a pacifier

john.rieder

Reaction score
I am a hearing parent of deaf child. She is three but was only diagnosed a few months ago (long story), so communication is limited. We need to ween her off of the pacifier so she can start school. Does anyone have any tips or ideas? Thank you

Have you ever tell her about it? I did warn her several times and gave her the deadline that day she had to get rid of it. It was very hard for her on her first day and eventually she forgets about it. She got rid of her pacifer when she was 3 yrs old.

I encourage you to talk to her about its time for her to get rid of it since she is a big girl now in your own words that you know her better than i do.

lastly, have you guys consider about learning American Sign Language aka ASL? It's a good start with her signing about taking the pacifer off and show her where the pacifer goes to the trash or some special place to keep it something like that.

Good Luck. She will have a hard time but will adjust to a better accepting of being a big girl. :)

p.s. I am a deaf parent of hearing kids. :)

Maybe make the weaning a special occasion like "Graduation from Pacifier Day" and get her to donate her pacifier to a baby. In the meantime, start limiting access to her pacifier up to that special day.

It might help if she has a "big girl reward" to earn for giving up the pacifier. Something with more "grown up" status attached to it. :)

I'm not a parent, but would putting vinegar on the pacifier cause an unrecoverable trauma?

^^^Maybe as a last resort. I think having it be "their idea" or more voluntary is a better long-term solution. (Then again, even as a parent I've never had to deal with this yet either).

One advice my pediatrician gave me was it is not worth fighting over small things. Any kid who still has a pacifier by kindergarten will give it up the first day.

But if you are really anxious to get rid of it, just make it her responsibility. If she loses it, don't help her find it, and don't pay for a replacement.

Pacifier

I am a hearing parent of deaf child. She is three but was only diagnosed a few months ago (long story), so communication is limited. We need to ween her off of the pacifier so she can start school. Does anyone have any tips or ideas? Thank you

My last child loved her pacifier. I told her her doctor didn't want her to have it anymore. We bought a hellliumm balloon and tied the pacifier and sent them to heaven for all the sad babies. Worked for us. Good luck.:angel:

Both of my kids were addicted to their pacificiers but as soon as they turned 18 months old, I threw them all away. My daughter got over it in a week. My son kept stealing other babies' pacifiers whenever we went out in public but after a few months, he forgot about wanting one.

Now, my daughter is 14 years old and she was shocked when I told her that she was hooked onto her pacifier. She was like, "No way!" My son is 6 years old and it seems that the need for his pacifier is a lost memory for him now.

Your daughter is 3 so it may be harder to wean her off. That was why I stopped them at 18 months old because I knew it would be harder when they got older.

Like someone else said, are you all learning ASL? It would break down alll communication barriers right away.

I think I was lucky. Neither one of my kids ever had a pacifier. The hospital and the pediatrician tried to give them, but the kids would spit them out and throw them down. At 16 & 17, they still hate popsicles or lollipops or anything that hangs out of their mouth like that that you have to suck on.

Never really had a problem weening my kids off the pacifier...when it got lost and the crying began...I gave them a teddy bear to hold onto. Seems giving them something to hold on to was a little comforting....

I've heard that kids who still use a pacifier after a certain age...their teeth will not be straight...sort of like "buck teeth"....but I'm skeptical of that.

Once I was taking a three or four year old daughter of a deaf couple somewhere. When I pulled out of the driveway, she panickly signed "We forgot the binky!" I looked at her and said "You know what? You are becoming a big girl now. Do you want to get a good book instead? You get to pick the book and I will read it to you." I forget what book she picked but she enjoyed listening to the story as she sat on my lap, and I don't think she ever used a pacifier again. (She was hearing.)

Get her to use her mouth more often with talking or gestures?

We learn from somebody how to get our son wean off from Pacifier. I am tellin ya man! This trick did WORK! Our son got wean off in just 2 days or maybe 3 I am not sure. How? Ok get scissors, nip the smallest of smallest possible. Give it back to your kid, without them knowing it. Wait next day, nip little more, kids will get confused and think something is wrong with it which leads them to loss of interest in it. The last nip I did, its history.

Communication is the issue but for this case, not really.

PFHHT at DHB beat me! LOL

How did I learn this? I think a woman from Deaf newspaper mentioned it. I told my hubby about it, and he went ahead. So got that idea, and it does WORK!

I am glad we did that before he turned 2. He was weaned off in July of 2011. (date not sure oh well)

Good luck!

We learn from somebody how to get our son wean off from Pacifier. I am tellin ya man! This trick did WORK! Our son got wean off in just 2 days or maybe 3 I am not sure. How? Ok get scissors, nip the smallest of smallest possible. Give it back to your kid, without them knowing it. Wait next day, nip little more, kids will get confused and think something is wrong with it which leads them to loss of interest in it. The last nip I did, its history.

Communication is the issue but for this case, not really.

Wouldn't that cause the child to suck in air? The idea sounds awesome. Just worried about a gassy child with a hole in a pacifier from the nipping.

This is not the issue, there is weeping hole there so, technically cutting tip creates a pipe like air breathing.

Wouldn't that cause the child to suck in air? The idea sounds awesome. Just worried about a gassy child with a hole in a pacifier from the nipping.

Back