We really NEED you help to spread to your hearing people

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
2,400 left to go !!! Come on, spread.... According to sign the petition with the White house--- ASL recognize in this country. For example jr and high school provide foreign language like Spanish, french, Germany. ASL becomes foreign language to encourage young children learn ASL, they will be familiar with Deaf language and culture more effectively to interact with Deaf Community. Break the communication barrier...

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...age-and-language-instruction-schools/CRPw2JLk

Um, no. I'm not going to drag my hearing friends in this bullshit petition. We had this ASL for many years without any problem and why now? :roll:

I will give you my perspective as to why I signed this petition and why I agree.

First off, this an actual language. Many universities do not give college language credit for ASL. Therefore less people take it across the country, less people will be able to communicate with those who can only use ASL to communicate. I do know from experience when I was in undergrad that it did cause some students to have less respect for ASL because of that.

My friends with perfect hearing have signed it. Im hoh btw :)

We get nothing while you hearing people are using this to get a credit from university when they took ASL course. People across USA already know deaf people are using sign language as our communication form and what's point of getting White House to recongize it? What would gain for us? Nothing. Oh, right, so that you can earn some credit for taking sign language classes in college. Pretty selfish of you...

As I said ASL have been around for many years and we have no problem with it and please leave ASL alone.

I will give you my perspective as to why I signed this petition and why I agree.

First off, this an actual language. Many universities do not give college language credit for ASL. Therefore less people take it across the country, less people will be able to communicate with those who can only use ASL to communicate. I do know from experience when I was in undergrad that it did cause some students to have less respect for ASL because of that.

Yeah, it is same happen in Oregon as well. I notice many colleges don't view ASL as a complete and actual language. Sure, in back time, 1970's, it "accepted" ASL but it is faded away. If you want to study about ASL, you will flatly get a fluke grade for it. Yeah, really...

Me too!

I posted it for third times.

Last edited:
How is this selfish of me? I want more people to learn the language. I have finished my college education. I'm thinking of people learning it to communicate with others who can use ASL, and yes they are more likely to learn it if the can use it towards their degree. I know a lot of people who continue to use it at work and other places, even volunteering in church. This is just one reason. There are many. But the one I gave as being selfish, is definitely not a selfish one on my end at all. That's my perspective. I hope others supporting this will state their reasons.

Well obviously many people do agree with the many signatures on the petition. By all means, I appreciate your insight (although not the selfish part, not true!) done :)

How is this selfish of me? I want more people to learn the language. I have finished my college education. I'm thinking of people learning it to communicate with others who can use ASL, and yes they are more likely to learn it if the can use it towards their degree. I know a lot of people who continue to use it at work and other places, even volunteering in church. This is just one reason. There are many. But the one I gave as being selfish, is definitely not a selfish one on my end at all. That's my perspective. I hope others supporting this will state their reasons.

Ignore him/her because JHM claimed all of us, Deaf people, being selfish. :roll:

yes ASL is an actual language BUT it is not a foreign language. If people want to learn ASL there are collages that has ASL classes.

yes ASL is an actual language BUT it is not a foreign language. If people want to learn ASL there are collages that has ASL classes.

Which is why petition is for! ASL is a foreign language. That is why soo many colleges or even doctors don't view it that way! You would get a F+ grade for just study ASL.

Have you read the description in the petition, yet?

Yeah, it is same happen in Oregon as well. I notice many colleges don't view ASL as a complete and actual language. Sure, in back time, 1970's, it "accepted" ASL but it is faded away. If you want to study about ASL, you will flatly get a fluke grade for it. Yeah, really...

Me too!

I posted it for third times.

Alabama recognize ASL as foreign language that can use toward college credit under foreign language, but I'm not impressed with my state at overall.

NOW, IT IS ONLY ABOUT 190 LEFT!

Go and spread the word! :D

UPDATED: 129 left!

UPDATE II: Whoo hoo hoo! It's only 64 left!!

Last edited:
I would like to see more ASL incorporation in ELA elementary education.

Y'all realize that the only purpose of the petition is to get an official response, right?

I wish the petition used stronger language. I believe the U.S has never officially recognized any language. I do think ASL should be an option in more schools so that people have a better understanding of it and are more likely to learn it. If the language is better incorporated into our society, more and more people will learn ASL.
It really isn't about getting class credit either. It's about making the classes available. Many schools don't offer the course because student's can't get credit for it. So people, like myself, have to study online and work twice as hard to learn ASL. If I could take a class at school, I would.

Back