We really NEED you help to spread to your hearing people

WTF are you talking about? Just because someone does not agree with something made them a racist? If anyone is a racist it is you!

she's not talking about people who were "disagreeing". she's referring to people who DEGRADED sign language and people who degraded such thing most likely have degraded black people, women, minorities, etc.

capisce?

I would like to see more ASL incorporation in ELA elementary education.

Here's the thing about learning another language, if you don't use it you lose it. Even if people learned some in elementary if they don't have someone to sign with on a regular basis they going to forget it all, not all, but most of it. Most people don't actually know anyone who is deaf, and would never use it. I took 3 years of French in high school, I remember very very very little of it. At the time I, if someone spoke french to me, I'd understand almost all of it, now? No way, even if I could hear them :giggle:

The question really is whether the Deaf community wants to keep ASL exclusive to Deaf/HoH people, in order to keep it as theirs and not let others influence the language. It would seem that more people getting access to ASL would lead to better integration of Deaf/HoH into mainstream society and vice versa but that would imply letting Hearing people more into your world. Some Deaf/Hoh might not like that. Double edge sword.

Here's the thing about learning another language, if you don't use it you lose it. Even if people learned some in elementary if they don't have someone to sign with on a regular basis they going to forget it all, not all, but most of it. Most people don't actually know anyone who is deaf, and would never use it. I took 3 years of French in high school, I remember very very very little of it. At the time I, if someone spoke french to me, I'd understand almost all of it, now? No way, even if I could hear them :giggle:

I have had a similar experience except the language was Spanish and the ASL. But . . . I was never that good as I only had one year of Spanish and took beginning ASL twice but never found anyone to practice with let along ongoing use.

True but on the other hand, there are people like my brother's financee who first got exposed to ASL in high school and took a deeper interest in it and now she is fluent in it and involved with the Deaf community. There are many others like her and if it wasnt for the ASL classes at their high school, they probably would have never learned about the Deaf community.

Some people just take it to pass the courses to graduate and there are others who take it further.

Back