We are not alone.

Mart

Reaction score
Ladies & Gentlemen!, we are not alone!.

Famous deaf & hoh people

Ludwig Van Beethoven, arguably the most famous he was a German pianist born in 1770, and is regarded as the Greatest Classical Composer ever.
Thomas Edison, considered the most famous American Inventor of all time. Born in 1847, Edison is best known for inventing the light bulb, phonograph and Motion Picture.

Helen Keller, born in 1880, was a Famous American educator, Political Activist and writer of twelve inspirational books.

Marlee Matlin, is, to date, the only deaf performer to have won an Academy Award. Her career has spanned nearly five decades, including acclaim for her lead role in Children of a Lesser God in 1986, which earned her an Academy Award and a Golden Globe.

Linda Bove is a deaf American actress who earned her fame as Linda the Librarian in the beloved children’s series, Sesame Street.

Halle Berry, is hard-of-hearing, having lost 80 per cent of her hearing in her right ear. This was a result of domestic violence from an abusive former partner. Berry has since become a champion of domestic violence reduction, being outspoken about her own experiences.

Whoopi Goldberg, Beloved actress, comedian, and Academy Award winner Whoop Goldberg wears hearing aids due to hearing loss she believes resulted from attending loud concerts and events in her youth.

Keifer Sutherland is pretty much deaf in one ear, and half deaf in the other” after playing so many roles involving gun-shots and explosions.

Lou Ferrigno is an American actor and former professional bodybuilder. He is best-known for playing The Hulk in the late 70s and early 80s. Ferrigno lost 80 per cent of his hearing shortly after his birth due to ear infections that were not treated properly. He wore hearing aids since the age of five, and taught himself to read lips.

And many more!, so there's still hope for all of us to become, rich & famous!.:thumb:

I have been presented with Marlee Matlin soon after the Children of a Lessor God film in our School Assembly once a very long time ago. My memory begins to fail but that particular film was both controversial (Which is why it was filmed in Canada where laws are not as strict as in the USA) and broke new ground for us Deaf that year in the 80's I have followed Matlee occasionally in her life when she participated in commercials and other situations in which her sign language and person is instantly recognized and very easy to follow for me who is somewhat out of practice with the ASL etc. Things were a little interesting when I eventually delivered loads into Canada as a trucker and occasionally met deaf people up there. Not too many. Particularly towards Montreal where the French Language requires a conversion to English.

I watch CoLG movie now and then a couple of times a year. Its held up very well all these years, (About 38 or so years give or take) with the main difference is that in those days Internet and Cell Phones did not exist (Outside of VERY high powered workplaces such as Wall Street etc.) I was not online until 1990. I met my first computer back in Middle School at about 12. (A State issued Apple IIC which would have been equal to tens of thousands of dollars in today's inflated dollars)

A side note, I do have a copy of it somewhere from retail. The cancel culture that infects our society today probably will take issue and try to destroy such material as objectionable. They are not revelant to me. However if they did succeed in removing that film and others like it then we as a Human People would most certainly have lost something that will not be replaced by these Deaf Pioneers.

Being rich and famous is not necessarily a goal. I have lived as a long haul trucker and will die as one. And live in relative medicore situation financially and so on. Money and fame is not important in my life. Its not worth the hassle.

A very long time ago Staff in the deaf school would tell us kids in class, do a good job with the homework, get a good grade and someday become a Superintendent. Well only one can be a super at any time. The rest of the masses go out and do what they need to on their own with whatever life hands them.

With that said, there are examples where Deaf People have served. In Israel for example their IDF Military makes use of Deaf People wearing active duty uniform in their services with specific tasks that is very well suited to them. Would they have to go into Battle? Certainly. They are trained. In America Deafness is not used in the Military for example viewed as a too big of a disability. HOWEVER in world war two, when ALL women, children and men (At all ages) were activated and then mobilized, the deaf were specfically wanted in very loud factories that were destroying hearing workers mentally and physically. And the blind specifically to pack parachutes and other very important work that human touch is superior. You will find that our Nation likely as not will not experience another total mobilization of everyone to war again. Its not going to happen.

In trucking doing mountain work requires my engine to have whats called a jacobs braking in either the Cat or Detriot engine, there is a great deal of power involved in holding 40 or more tons from falling off the mountain. Being deaf is a asset so I don't get tired after 10 to 24 hours listening to that across the USA. I can keep going. And sleep better in noisy places such as a cold storage food distribution with hundreds of reefer trailers howling as they keep food frozen waiting to unload etc.

Not all deaf will be famous. However thes who are... they are absolutely worth learning about and lessons thus applied to your own world.

I have been presented with Marlee Matlin soon after the Children of a Lessor God film in our School Assembly once a very long time ago. My memory begins to fail but that particular film was both controversial (Which is why it was filmed in Canada where laws are not as strict as in the USA) and broke new ground for us Deaf that year in the 80's I have followed Matlee occasionally in her life when she participated in commercials and other situations in which her sign language and person is instantly recognized and very easy to follow for me who is somewhat out of practice with the ASL etc. Things were a little interesting when I eventually delivered loads into Canada as a trucker and occasionally met deaf people up there. Not too many. Particularly towards Montreal where the French Language requires a conversion to English.

I watch CoLG movie now and then a couple of times a year. Its held up very well all these years, (About 38 or so years give or take) with the main difference is that in those days Internet and Cell Phones did not exist (Outside of VERY high powered workplaces such as Wall Street etc.) I was not online until 1990. I met my first computer back in Middle School at about 12. (A State issued Apple IIC which would have been equal to tens of thousands of dollars in today's inflated dollars)

A side note, I do have a copy of it somewhere from retail. The cancel culture that infects our society today probably will take issue and try to destroy such material as objectionable. They are not revelant to me. However if they did succeed in removing that film and others like it then we as a Human People would most certainly have lost something that will not be replaced by these Deaf Pioneers.

Being rich and famous is not necessarily a goal. I have lived as a long haul trucker and will die as one. And live in relative medicore situation financially and so on. Money and fame is not important in my life. Its not worth the hassle.

A very long time ago Staff in the deaf school would tell us kids in class, do a good job with the homework, get a good grade and someday become a Superintendent. Well only one can be a super at any time. The rest of the masses go out and do what they need to on their own with whatever life hands them.

With that said, there are examples where Deaf People have served. In Israel for example their IDF Military makes use of Deaf People wearing active duty uniform in their services with specific tasks that is very well suited to them. Would they have to go into Battle? Certainly. They are trained. In America Deafness is not used in the Military for example viewed as a too big of a disability. HOWEVER in world war two, when ALL women, children and men (At all ages) were activated and then mobilized, the deaf were specfically wanted in very loud factories that were destroying hearing workers mentally and physically. And the blind specifically to pack parachutes and other very important work that human touch is superior. You will find that our Nation likely as not will not experience another total mobilization of everyone to war again. Its not going to happen.

In trucking doing mountain work requires my engine to have whats called a jacobs braking in either the Cat or Detriot engine, there is a great deal of power involved in holding 40 or more tons from falling off the mountain. Being deaf is a asset so I don't get tired after 10 to 24 hours listening to that across the USA. I can keep going. And sleep better in noisy places such as a cold storage food distribution with hundreds of reefer trailers howling as they keep food frozen waiting to unload etc.

Not all deaf will be famous. However thes who are... they are absolutely worth learning about and lessons thus applied to your own world.
That is really long and meaningful story! I really love reading it while eating my Doritos!

I have a friend who was a long haul trucker, and some times he drove "tripples", as if doubles were easy. Cant even imagine,. "PAYING ATTENTION" is what you guys did, no matter how many axels you were flying.
"Paying Attention"(be the PIC ), and "Conformation Bias" (Media), are to totally different things, in my mind, but so muddled now.
I like ALLDEAF, because of all the great stories of "adventures" in the hearing world, and the good training people get with learning different things, including ASL, to better communicate. but also a good vision on the "coclear implant(s)/hearing aid", very important thing.
It's like West World out there.

I have a friend who was a long haul trucker, and some times he drove "tripples", as if doubles were easy. Cant even imagine,. "PAYING ATTENTION" is what you guys did, no matter how many axels you were flying.
"Paying Attention"(be the PIC ), and "Conformation Bias" (Media), are to totally different things, in my mind, but so muddled now.
I like ALLDEAF, because of all the great stories of "adventures" in the hearing world, and the good training people get with learning different things, including ASL, to better communicate. but also a good vision on the "coclear implant(s)/hearing aid", very important thing.
It's like West World out there.
Thats one thing I avoided on purpose. The doing in the driving whatever doubles or triples is not the problem. Its the work involved in that type of hauling. Very labor intensive and in winter you are left with a single axle tractor that wont get traction in 2 inches of snow without chain. Maybe.

There was a lot of consolidation, buyouts, mergers and so on in the LTL part of trucking involving those doubles and triples. Plus a number of evolutionary changes along the way. We used to have Truck Rodeos where people experts in doubles will do things that most of us ordinary truckers cannot. One example would be backing them up in a straight line. It takes a angle difference too small to see to cause the trailers to try and fold.

There is a special kind of trucking in Australia called Road Train, you put on 3 to 4 trailers or maybe 10 have upwards of 450,000 pounds to close to a million running straight through across the outback without stopping for anything. Including humans. (There should be very few so thats not a problem because they just cannot stop) We are probably experimenting with Roadtrains in the Dakotas soon.

Another kind is the Michigan B train. Its a half trailer on another trailer via 5th wheel then tractor with many axles. You can put down 165000 pounds in gross weight under two or three big steel coils and go. Only in Michigan. Anything else you are into heavy haul where you need one 700+ horse tractor and two more ballasted loaded push truck shoving physically against 200,000 upwards to 1.6 million or so. Which is a move all it's own in it's realm not inclusive of 99% of us ordinary truckers. You also have rockymountain doubles and California doubles etc.. all kinds.

My personal favorite is the Turnpike Double. A big 650 hp day cab pulling TWO 48' or maybe domestic 53's on the NY Turnpike. Most of the time thats all they run on under special permit. Its funny when people from out of NY State travel near them in the rain. They see that they passed one trailer and want to merge over and learn that now there is TWO of them. Its hilarious.

The doing is not complicated. But I chose not to be involved in doubles or triples due again to the dock evironment. In those days it was better to be drop a trailer, hook on another load and get rolling in 20 minutes. If the wheels are turning you are making money. If you stand around all day or work like a dog there is no money in it. Ive the body to prove that. Its no good now.

Back