watch DVDs on laptop with captions?

Not true. You only need DVD decoder software.

for winXP:
First go and download DVD decoder software like WinDVD or powerDVD.
(don't buy it, just download the free trial)

Then download the "Windows XP Video decoder checkup utility"
Download details: Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility

install the DVD software.
install the XP video decoder checkup utility.

run the video decoder checkup utility.

This will give you the name of your decoder file, search your hard drive for that file and open the fold that contains it.

copy all the files in that folder to another folder (on your desktop or something -- you only really need the files with the same extension as your decoder file.)

uninstall the DVD software.

use regsvr32 to register the files you copied.

Now you can play DVDs in windows media player, and closed captioning is also supported, (if you did this correctly)

copy what files? also on my laptop i have vista home premoim, so how do u turn on the captions on that?

thanks

No, You don't own Windows XP Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium or Ultimate, I used to own PC with Vista Home Premium, there's CC support on media center, seriously.

You are just ignorant about latest update on MS, no offense.

Proof...
Windows Vista Help: Show closed captions or subtitles in Windows Media Center

Still don't believe then go to Best Buy or other electronic store to do demo on windows vista.

i dont have MC i have xp pro, and the other guy he was explaining how to get it to work in xp pro/home

My new laptop Vista not work in movie with CC. It worked movie only. grr!. I called support service. They said only portable DVD player will work with CC. I went to see my friend who have one portable DVD player. It worked with CC. I am very disappointment....

No, You don't own Windows XP Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium or Ultimate, I used to own PC with Vista Home Premium, there's CC support on media center, seriously.

You are just ignorant about latest update on MS, no offense.

Proof...
Windows Vista Help: Show closed captions or subtitles in Windows Media Center

Still don't believe then go to Best Buy or other electronic store to do demo on windows vista.

It SUCCESSFULLY!! I am soo very happy that it work movie with CC in my new laptop now. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! LOL! The Support Service didn't know how set up CC. Or new update Vista?

i dont have MC i have xp pro, and the other guy he was explaining how to get it to work in xp pro/home

After talking to Ice over aim to get his computer working, we found that he needed to downgrade to Windows Media Player 10, to make it work. -- If there's a way for it to work in media player 11, we couldn't find it.

I have CC and subtitles both on my computer and DVD is great. I am sure they will try creating more CC on other devices soon, if that happens. :)

Here's something I'm not seeing in this thread.

Should you pick up a DVD that contains neither CC or available subtitles, you can find subtitle files (.srt) online from dedicated .srt writers out there that may have written subtitles for the particular movie or tv shows off from a DVD that doesn't support captions of any form.

Here's my favorite site that carries caption files for movies that may not be caption supported AnySubs.com - DivX subtitles of any kind!

Most movie players supports .srt files, just look into the "option" tab and locate the subtitle section and point it to the .srt file you just downloaded.

Back