watch DVDs on laptop with captions?

Ice

Reaction score
would this be hardware or software based? if software then what program is recommended, and if its hardware, then is there like a USB device maybe or a pcmcia one

thanks (i would think this would be useful)

I didn't add anything on my Lappy, it is already included. The chance there is captions on movie though your Lappy is very high. So, no big deal.

would this be hardware or software based? if software then what program is recommended, and if its hardware, then is there like a USB device maybe or a pcmcia one

thanks (i would think this would be useful)

What kind of OS that you use it? Mac OS X or Windows XP/Vista

For Windows XP/Vista, that must have media center built-in, such as media center edition on XP or Home Premium/Ultimate then you will get CC support on DVD playback.

For Mac OS X, I'm user there and no idea about it, just ask Boult or other Mac users to help you, such as find third party software to receive CC support.

For Windows XP/Vista, that must have media center built-in, such as media center edition on XP or Home Premium/Ultimate then you will get CC support on DVD playback.

Not true. You only need DVD decoder software.

for winXP:
First go and download DVD decoder software like WinDVD or powerDVD.
(don't buy it, just download the free trial)

Then download the "Windows XP Video decoder checkup utility"
Download details: Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility

install the DVD software.
install the XP video decoder checkup utility.

run the video decoder checkup utility.

This will give you the name of your decoder file, search your hard drive for that file and open the fold that contains it.

copy all the files in that folder to another folder (on your desktop or something -- you only really need the files with the same extension as your decoder file.)

uninstall the DVD software.

use regsvr32 to register the files you copied.

Now you can play DVDs in windows media player, and closed captioning is also supported, (if you did this correctly)

Mac OS X include DVD player (app) have support CC which is more like digital CC.

Not true. You only need DVD decoder software.

for winXP:
First go and download DVD decoder software like WinDVD or powerDVD.
(don't buy it, just download the free trial)

Then download the "Windows XP Video decoder checkup utility"
Download details: Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility

install the DVD software.
install the XP video decoder checkup utility.

run the video decoder checkup utility.

This will give you the name of your decoder file, search your hard drive for that file and open the fold that contains it.

copy all the files in that folder to another folder (on your desktop or something -- you only really need the files with the same extension as your decoder file.)

uninstall the DVD software.

use regsvr32 to register the files you copied.

Now you can play DVDs in windows media player, and closed captioning is also supported, (if you did this correctly)

No, You don't own Windows XP Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium or Ultimate, I used to own PC with Vista Home Premium, there's CC support on media center, seriously.

You are just ignorant about latest update on MS, no offense.

Proof...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/6f7e43f4-9f1e-48a3-b6a3-3d47b14465411033.mspx

Still don't believe then go to Best Buy or other electronic store to do demo on windows vista.

No, You don't own Windows XP Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium or Ultimate, I used to own PC with Vista Home Premium, there's CC support on media center, seriously.

You are just ignorant about latest update on MS, no offense.

Proof...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/6f7e43f4-9f1e-48a3-b6a3-3d47b14465411033.mspx

Still don't believe then go to Best Buy or other electronic store to do demo on windows vista.

I don't know about windows Vista, but for XP I stand by my answer.
The link you provide refers to TV programs recorded with windows media center, The original poster only asked about playing closed captioned DVDs.

Windows media center may very well include a CC decoder, I've never used it myself, but I know from experience that you can see closed captions on DVDs with windows XP pro/home (not media center edition) by following the directions I gave.

The link you provide refers to TV programs recorded with windows media center, The original poster only asked about playing closed captioned DVDs.

Windows media center may very well include a CC decoder, I've never used it myself, but I know from experience that you can see closed captions on DVDs with windows XP pro/home (not media center edition) by following the directions I gave.

On Windows Media Center, you can use CC for DVD as well.

i have laptop with dvd and have no problems when my cousin using my laptop to watch that videos.

Yeah, it should already be included.

Do you have the latest version of DVD player or something?

That's what Sequioas told me, thanks for let me know.

Yes DVD player does closed caption you can change any color, size, and font for your comfort.

Wish that iPhone have closed caption similar in Mac OS X?

Yes DVD player does closed caption you can change any color, size, and font for your comfort.

It does work on majority of DVD movies but it won't work on few DVD set if supported CC like Laguna Beach Complete Second Season, if I watch LB Complete Second Season on HDTV with composite cable, when run DVD on Xbox 360 then CC is work so perfectly, it's analog format. I was pissed off but I wish that would offers switch into analog or digital CC, or what wrong with DVD.

We may see closed captioning on mobile devices in near future. The government just gave a grant of $600,000 to WSGH to research and development on that stuff. Miss Decitible on Alldeaf posted news about it somewhere on Alldeaf. ;)

i have laptop with dvd and have no problems when my cousin using my laptop to watch that videos.

yes, to me too! that is fine with my laptop, when I am sitting in the flight and watch my laptop with DVD and CC too. cool!!!

I found that windows media player support CC, I enabled it and it worked but not nice as DVD player on Mac.

But not clear CC for Media Center

Hi, I read all, I know Windows Meida Center (XP and Vista). it is not clear CC.

I use HDTV and DVD Player (480i) is clear CC, nice Fonrs and large size than Windows Meida Center. I did media center large size

also

Media Center is not 21 line, it is middle of screen !!! I want bottom screen!! :-(

Hi, I read all, I know Windows Meida Center (XP and Vista). it is not clear CC.

I use HDTV and DVD Player (480i) is clear CC, nice Fonrs and large size than Windows Meida Center. I did media center large size

also

Media Center is not 21 line, it is middle of screen !!! I want bottom screen!! :-(

Who cares? CC works fine on windows media player 11 and DVD player (Mac).

I don't need 480i, no thanks...

I need clear instructions how to turn on the closed-captioning feature when using a laptop computer to view a DVD movie that is said to have CC. This is for a presentation in class and it will be viewed via a projection screen on the wall.

The laptop computer uses Win XP. I have no idea how the DVD is playing. . All I've done is put the DVD in the drive and it automatically starts playing but there is no CC or subtitles.

Back