% vs dB-hate it

Perhaps the difficulty is that for most of my patients, 7th grade math was a long time ago (2-7 decades), and they didn't have much cause to remember what the heck logarithms were in the meantime. I've spent a lot of time trying to clear up confusion on the subject, and for people outside the audio-related fields, there's not even a lot of interest in understanding it, other than how it relates to their sensory perception. Even when they have a hearing loss, most of my patients are far more interested in how that pertains to their ability to hear speech, and what can be done about it, than in different weighting, equivalent energy, controversy over exchange rates as they pertain to risk to hearing, etc.... Fellow ear geeks were few and far between in private clinical practice.

Of course, it would not be surprising if the people in this forum cared much more, especially those who were learning the math WHILE experiencing a hearing loss that made it more pertinent.
Hello, Iowan. What town are you?? And although I do know my db loss, I mostly just know I can't hear. :lol:

No need to keep justifying yourself to Anij. No one has yet bothered to follow her around and pick on her, so she doesn't know what it feels like yet. :)

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Not picking on JK - just stating that it doesn't have to be complicated explaining db.

Often professionals over thing things, thus making it more complicated than it has to be. (I've explained the difference between db using lego blocks - works great).

In my profession, I have to constantly think of "laymans" ways of explaining complicated issues ... It's just a matter of taking some time to find a simple, yet accurate way to discribe various facts.

Back