% vs dB-hate it

The arrow going down at a certain freq means NR does it not? I have I believe two of NR's in my Right ear ..just can't member what freqs

Yep.

The arrow going down at a certain freq means NR does it not? I have I believe two of NR's in my Right ear ..just can't member what freqs

My right side is such that for the last 15years we've not even bothered testing ... that's because for the 15+years prior we'd just draw a line across 80db (I'm tactile at that point) then draw arrows down for all frequencies anyway. "DNT - NR" (did not test - no response) is just easier lol.

Is it safe to say that persons with Hearing loss have/will ask : am I "close" to being DEAF? Would one in the "profound category" vs "hard of hearing category" be "closer" to DEAFness?

Is it safe to say that persons with Hearing loss have/will ask : am I "close" to being DEAF? Would one in the "profound category" vs "hard of hearing category" be "closer" to DEAFness?

I am surprised that you cannot figure this out yourself STILL! No, most Culturally Deaf persons will not ask or care as they know they have a hearing loss and are Deaf...

Yes I expect most people with a hearing lost that do not use a Sign Language as their primary method of communication would probably ask this question... Minus the crazy capitalization and yelling random and half of various words

You may be correct, but how do you get around the problem of people not understanding DB? Do you now have a short lesson on what DB is before you tell them your loss? All they want is a quick answer they can understand instead of a lesson in sound pressure.

We should all be on the Metric System too BTW, but you didn't hear that from me.

Ok, I can tell people I've a 110 dB hearing loss. (stop)

People may give look, "oh ok". Or they may say ok, thank you. Interesting.

If someone is really curious about dB, they will ask. What does it mean when you say you have 110 dB of hearing loss type of question, you know?

If my friends/fam/coworkers are curious to what dB is then Yes I do educate them..Usually I use an audiogram pic from online that includes the speech banana

I just had to write a letter to my work head office about my deafness. I stated what my left and right side is and then stated what normal hearing is and what complete deafness is.

They seem to of understood it as I have a meeting with them tomorrow about how they can help me with my deafness. :)

I am not "cultural deaf" but bilateral DEAF. My last hearing test-Jan/07 showed I didn't hear at 105 DB. I knew i didn't hear at all-just silence from December 20, 2006.
That is why I started the process re Cochlear Implant-February 4, 2007 Fortunately successful.

Dictionary : decibel a unit for measuring the relative loudness of sound

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

drphil said:
I am not "cultural deaf" but bilateral DEAF. My last hearing test-Jan/07 showed I didn't hear at 105 DB. I knew i didn't hear at all-just silence from December 20, 2006.
That is why I started the process re Cochlear Implant-February 4, 2007 Fortunately successful.

Dictionary : decibel a unit for measuring the relative loudness of sound

Yes, we know - you've posted it in 95% of your posts!

We also know that you've created your own "code" for yourself - "DEAF" ... I guess because "deaf" (which means audiologically deaf) is to common for you?

Everyone needs to feel special I guess - glad all the constant random "quote marks" and unique "DEAF" thing does that for you **shrug**

Last edited:
As to the validity of the supposition- " cultural deafness" each person can judge themselves- if relevant in their life if/when one becomes DEAF.

I have said before- the use of DEAF is to shift from the sociological discussion: culture.

Quixotic?

I never really focused on dB with pagients: I'd discuss their hearing loss in terms of mild/moderate/severe/profound, usually with the audiogram in front of them. People don't always register the numbers, and they're not always good at trying to interpret graphs. Whereas "My hearing loss is mild in the low pitches, moderate in the highs" is pretty easy.

Of course, then you have the engineers. They want the dB. And the software for programming hearing aids.

LK said:
I never really focused on dB with pagients: I'd discuss their hearing loss in terms of mild/moderate/severe/profound, usually with the audiogram in front of them. People don't always register the numbers, and they're not always good at trying to interpret graphs. Whereas "My hearing loss is mild in the low pitches, moderate in the highs" is pretty easy.

Of course, then you have the engineers. They want the dB. And the software for programming hearing aids.

That's unfortunate - understanding db is very important (and not all that complicated).

Also - many people don't have a basic idea of what and how Db is calculated and thus don't realize that how the increments work in db (ie that the volume difference between 20db & 21db is totally different than between 80db &81 db)

I really dislike when professionals decide it's "too complicated" - hearing loss is a permanent thing that will impact their life... Professionals need to take the time to educate their clients not only in vague "mild, mod, severe etc" but in what the proper measurement of their hearing is.

Even grade school kids can understand how db works - just like they understand how degrees (for temp), weight, length etc work.

If your clients are having trouble understanding db - it's because of who you explain it, not because it's "complicated", "hard" or "technical".

As to the validity of the supposition- " cultural deafness" each person can judge themselves- if relevant in their life if/when one becomes DEAF.

I have said before- the use of DEAF is to shift from the sociological discussion: culture.

Quixotic?

Get Real:Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto -Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Get Real: deaf vs. Deaf

Deaf is related to culture.

deaf is audologically/medically.

You are deaf. No need to SCREAM DEAF at us.

That's unfortunate - understanding db is very important (and not all that complicated).

Also - many people don't have a basic idea of what and how Db is calculated and thus don't realize that how the increments work in db (ie that the volume difference between 20db & 21db is totally different than between 80db &81 db)

I really dislike when professionals decide it's "too complicated" - hearing loss is a permanent thing that will impact their life... Professionals need to take the time to educate their clients not only in vague "mild, mod, severe etc" but in what the proper measurement of their hearing is.

Even grade school kids can understand how db works - just like they understand how degrees (for temp), weight, length etc work.

If your clients are having trouble understanding db - it's because of who you explain it, not because it's "complicated", "hard" or "technical".

Since I'm typically explaining some bad news to them, they typically have more on their mind than a driving need to learn logarithmic math..which, incidentally, I've had to teach to nurses and grad level audiology students, and it's not that easy. It is nothing like temp, weight, length, etc; it's a non-linear expression based on a ratio of the measured versus a reference which differs across weightings and, depending on the weighting, may differ across frequencies.

Patients ask questions like 'What is normal' and 'what should I expect' and 'would a hearing aid help', not 'so what does a 3 dB step equate to in tems of sound intensity relative to the reference pressure?' Typically, it takes a few weeks for them to come to emotional grips with the hearing loss. But should they ever show an interest in math that's unfortunately most advanced than most people remember or even had in school, while grappling with the understanding that their spouse's 'mumbling' and all the other indications that things aren't working the way they used to are likely permanent a condition, I will be sure to delve into it.

If you say so ... We learned about db in 7th grade science & maths.

The basics of db are very easy to grasp ...and well worth explaining (on visit 2 or 3) to anyone of average intellegence over grade school age.

That's true ..I learned about dB in science in like 6th grade or so..there is also an episode of the magic school bus that teaches about hearing and decibels

AliciaM said:
That's true ..I learned about dB in science in like 6th grade or so..there is also an episode of the magic school bus that teaches about hearing and decibels

Yup - it's just not that complicated (unless poorly explained).

Db is super easy to explain compared to explaining management of diet & insulin to new diabetics, and millions of children,young adults and adults are instructed on and understand that relatively enough.

Perhaps the difficulty is that for most of my patients, 7th grade math was a long time ago (2-7 decades), and they didn't have much cause to remember what the heck logarithms were in the meantime. I've spent a lot of time trying to clear up confusion on the subject, and for people outside the audio-related fields, there's not even a lot of interest in understanding it, other than how it relates to their sensory perception. Even when they have a hearing loss, most of my patients are far more interested in how that pertains to their ability to hear speech, and what can be done about it, than in different weighting, equivalent energy, controversy over exchange rates as they pertain to risk to hearing, etc.... Fellow ear geeks were few and far between in private clinical practice.

Of course, it would not be surprising if the people in this forum cared much more, especially those who were learning the math WHILE experiencing a hearing loss that made it more pertinent.

Back