VRS, WiFi and new modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you live in a multi-user household, it's easier to have WiFi so that there isn't a line standing waiting to use a single computer hooked up to an Ethernet cable. In my house, there's at least 5 devices using WiFi.

But to each their own.

Isn't anyone reading this post? Care explain who she is talking about?

She is not talking about herself, she is talking about in general.

I am not sure if it is really easier to use WiFi than Ethernet, she seems to say that with Ethernet cable, have to swap the cable in order to be able to use more than one devices. Maybe she does not have enough ports on her router, or she had tried used Switch with multiple host and was confused between private IP address and public iP address. It is NOT hard to set up multiple devices using Ethernet, and if doing right don't need to depend on just one Ethernet for multiple devices, I would say about the same.

WIFI is convenient for most people... if you want to use ethernet only, you'd need to buy ethernet hub to connect multiple equipments. Some people do not want this headache and use WIFI, it connects easily.

Some of the people have questions about technology, every one of us have opinions how to use them... giving suggestions is welcome but the decision is entirely up to individuals.

No, she seems single out on me.

I am just sharing my experience and what I learn. Yes, it is nice to have wireless that frees up the clutters. But when it comes to "real time" Wireless isn't that great, and Ethernet has always been best method of connection when it comes to connection quality. Often wireless is fine for most applications. The real time application generally involves Video calls in real time, even voice calls as well and with wireless security issues, it does interference real time application considerable and in order to fix it, one would have to give up some quality, as its kinda impossible to fix it by 100%. So, if one wants wireless, need to realize that they give up the quality of real time connection in exchange for clutter free environment. Many of people have asked me why Netflix, other video streaming works great while Videophone have lousy video? Simple put, these netflix, other videostreaming uses "Canned" system, which means when you start a videostream, you notice delay in start up, right? That is to allow about 3 minutes worth of buffer to allow device correct lost, damaged packet so you won't even notice it at all. No way with real time video.

Oh my ..

I really was talking about the general population. Some prefer Ethernet, some prefer WiFi, some prefer nothing. Whatever floats THEIR boat (I'm sorry -- I won't use "you" anymore since you thought I was singling you out.) You're posting your experiences and your preferences, exactly the same I was doing for MY experience and MY preferences.

Oh my ..

I really was talking about the general population. Some prefer Ethernet, some prefer WiFi, some prefer nothing. Whatever floats THEIR boat (I'm sorry -- I won't use "you" anymore since you thought I was singling you out.) You're posting your experiences and your preferences, exactly the same I was doing for MY experience and MY preferences.
Well you could always do what members of another forum did after quite a few dust-ups and misunderstandings on what people meant by "you"-- you= directed at a particular poster in reply, g-you=Everyone on the forum, the continent, the planet and the universe "general you"

a pain but it made most people happy.

I'd use WIFI for other devices such as Smart TV, phones and other equipments, it's better than having clutter around the house with ethernet wires. Like AC says to each their own with their preference... I use WIFI for TV, PS4, phones... the only thing I use ethernet is this Mac and VP. That's pretty much it.

WIFI is a good reason to keep areas clear of clutter and wire tangling with power cord, and other things.

Same goes for me. I use ethernet is for my iMac, VP, and printer. AppleTV, two iPhones, and iPad rely on WIFI.

This thread is about new modem with Wifi and VRS. This is precisely why I bring up VRS, if one wants best video quality on Videophone making videoconferencing (This includes VRS calls and P2P calls) Ethernet is best connection method than anything else.

I don't care about wireless connecting to whatever devices that have nothing to do with VRS.

videophone demand constant connection to VRS server, most wifi doesn't maintain constant connection, due to security reason they drop out and verify the username and password and reconnect. This is why many VRS provider equipment abandoned WiFi as added features. This have been tried too numerous times with little success, remember "little success" meaning there are few that have success but majority of them with full of problems. If that WiFi modem has Ethernet port, use them instead. I am TWC customer and have WiFi modem, I asked them to turn it (WiFi) off from gateway modem, problem solved.

That's myth.

Sorenson, Zvrs, and other VRS still have wireless.

Multi-users household with too many WiFi host CAN slow down considerable. The more WiFi connections, the more inferences there is. Ethernet on other hand can handle more hosts better than WiFi does. If one lives in very isolated area with little WiFi available, one or two hosts, the better it is. These WiFi router antenna has its limitation, same with Cell phone towers, they can handle up to certain numbers of connections before they start to slow down.

Ethernet, if done properly with switches built in or stand alone would handle far better than WiFi, because they got their own port, just like an antenna, and switch is programmed to memorize the route of all Internet connections which reduces broadcasting noises throughout. WiFi on other hand constantly broadcast ALL signals no matter what which forces every hosts listening and figuring out whether it is for them or not, if it is for them, they have to respond back to WiFi Access Point let them know it is for them and verify the authentication of connection which slows down the connection speed, Ethernet cables do not have to go though authentication because Ethernet is physically connected, no way anyone can crack in without actually messing up with cables, so there is limited need for authentication

Keep in mind, Wireless is the weakest when it comes to security, this is precisely why there is too many time outs, what generally time outs is for? To verify the connection is the correct one not somebody else trying to hack in. Ethernet has advantage when it comes to security, thus requires much less authentication process.

That's myth. We have over 10 wireless devices and not much noticed between ethernet and wireless for speed. Apple tv at livingroom, another apple tv at bedroom, Macbook Air, iPad, Android tablet, two iPhones, Google chromecase, desktop PC, and Raspberry Pi 2 It's all depends on builds, router wireless, computer wireless devices. If you have problem with wireless then you just gave up so easy and switch to ethernet right away? Try work harder next times. The wireless is not simple to set up. You have advanced mode to change channel correct to avoid from the inferences.

This thread is about new modem with Wifi and VRS. This is precisely why I bring up VRS, if one wants best video quality on Videophone making videoconferencing (This includes VRS calls and P2P calls) Ethernet is best connection method than anything else.

I don't care about wireless connecting to whatever devices that have nothing to do with VRS.

Because you just gave up so easy.

That's myth. We have over 10 wireless devices and not much noticed between ethernet and wireless for speed. Apple tv at livingroom, another apple tv at bedroom, Macbook Air, iPad, Android tablet, two iPhones, Google chromecase, desktop PC, and Raspberry Pi 2 It's all depends on builds, router wireless, computer wireless devices. If you have problem with wireless then you just gave up so easy and switch to ethernet right away? Try work harder next times. The wireless is not simple to set up. You have advanced mode to change channel correct to avoid from the inferences.

Try 5.4 GHz to avoid inference.

Try 5.4 GHz to avoid inference.
That would be 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz.

Most are set at 2.4 because many (older) modems, PCs and routers are not compatible for 5.0 ghz. I think there's a move towards 5.0 though because so many other things are on the same band of 2.4 like microwaves and cordless phones.

When I first moved back here I had my cordless phone set up in my 'mini office' with my PC set up on wireless and the router in the next room. I couldn't figure out why my wireless dropped sometimes until I realized the only time it dropped was when the phone rang. So... bye bye phone (I can't hear well on it anymore anyway- even amplified). We're set at 2.4 ghz and I have not really noticed any severe interference. I may play around and see if anything improves by changing the band or channels..

Myth? Show me a stand alone Videophone with WiFi built in from any VRS providers, can you? If not, why not?

There WAS a built in WiFi on Sorenson VP, that was in Alpha stage only, never released to public and I was not the one that gave up. It has very high failure rate to the point where they (Company) decided to remove WiFi feature off from Videophone. There are many features that I have seen, you may never seen it before. It was cool but because of technical limitation, they were either locked or removed.

There are other cool features that you may never know that once exists but had to remove due to technical limitation and issues, call it Myth? That is for you to decide and for me to know.

Keep in mind, this is for Videophone, not for any other applications where WiFi generally isn't an issue.

Somewhere I lost the link but there was a guy who used to work as engineer for Ojo Videophone,. He admitted he thought he can design device that would stun any modem or router to do automatic configuration, he said that after too many attempts, he had to scrap the concept of stun because to too many variables with set up on each modem and routers making it very difficult to set up right every time.

You called it Myth, have you worked inside Videophone company before? I don't mean Field installer like trainers from Sorenson, I am talking about actually working INSIDE the company I missed working inside the company, but corporation world SUCKS! I had to leave, I have seen enough, and FYI, Sorenson is NOT bad company as many people think they are. Too many stabatoges against Sorenson, sad!

Finally, don't forget, too many complains is costing any corporation dearly and they can't afford continue whatever that would end up one thing... complaints.

Care tell me if there was WiFi Built in:

VP-100?
VP-200?
NtouchVP?
SmartVP?
Z-VP?

None? Why not? Call it myth? :hmm:

Most are set at 2.4 because many (older) modems, PCs and routers are not compatible for 5.0 ghz. I think there's a move towards 5.0 though because so many other things are on the same band of 2.4 like microwaves and cordless phones.

When I first moved back here I had my cordless phone set up in my 'mini office' with my PC set up on wireless and the router in the next room. I couldn't figure out why my wireless dropped sometimes until I realized the only time it dropped was when the phone rang. So... bye bye phone (I can't hear well on it anymore anyway- even amplified). We're set at 2.4 ghz and I have not really noticed any severe interference. I may play around and see if anything improves by changing the band or channels..

Thats called inferences, you notice when you switch to 5.0GHZ, it either improves or worse, right? It has a lot to do with inferences, forcing devices filtering out garbage from wireless atmosphere.

Thats called inferences, you notice when you switch to 5.0GHZ, it either improves or worse, right? It has a lot to do with inferences, forcing devices filtering out garbage from wireless atmosphere.
I'm not that dumb...Yes I know it was "interference" after I did a lot of googling and paying attention to what happens with my set up. That is how i figured out the phone was the one interfering- because it was too close to the source. So I just decided to unplug the thing as I never used it anyway.

Other than that I never noticed any difference in speed /usage when switching between the two.

Myth? Show me a stand alone Videophone with WiFi built in from any VRS providers, can you? If not, why not?

There WAS a built in WiFi on Sorenson VP, that was in Alpha stage only, never released to public and I was not the one that gave up. It has very high failure rate to the point where they (Company) decided to remove WiFi feature off from Videophone. There are many features that I have seen, you may never seen it before. It was cool but because of technical limitation, they were either locked or removed.

There are other cool features that you may never know that once exists but had to remove due to technical limitation and issues, call it Myth? That is for you to decide and for me to know.

Keep in mind, this is for Videophone, not for any other applications where WiFi generally isn't an issue.

Somewhere I lost the link but there was a guy who used to work as engineer for Ojo Videophone,. He admitted he thought he can design device that would stun any modem or router to do automatic configuration, he said that after too many attempts, he had to scrap the concept of stun because to too many variables with set up on each modem and routers making it very difficult to set up right every time.

You called it Myth, have you worked inside Videophone company before? I don't mean Field installer like trainers from Sorenson, I am talking about actually working INSIDE the company I missed working inside the company, but corporation world SUCKS! I had to leave, I have seen enough, and FYI, Sorenson is NOT bad company as many people think they are. Too many stabatoges against Sorenson, sad!

Finally, don't forget, too many complains is costing any corporation dearly and they can't afford continue whatever that would end up one thing... complaints.

Care tell me if there was WiFi Built in:

VP-100?
VP-200?
NtouchVP?
SmartVP?
Z-VP?

None? Why not? Call it myth? :hmm:

Your talk is cheap. Because you gave up so easy like them. No wonder you had to leave them.

My good friend made his own network and no problem so far. Looks date!

http://illustrator.blog-alloon.com/archives/116

Dude, You needs to catch up the VR technology. They already created the apps for tablet and mobile which they are WIRELESS. Try to remember your Android have ntouch app which it's wireless. :roll:

Your talk is cheap. Because you gave up so easy like them. No wonder you had to leave them.

My good friend made his own network and no problem so far. Looks date!

http://illustrator.blog-alloon.com/archives/116

Dude, You needs to catch up the VR technology. They already created the apps for tablet and mobile which they are WIRELESS. Try to remember your Android have ntouch app which it's wireless. :roll:

I left vrs that have nothing to do with this. I was injured at work and now on disablity, so this is not a myth, I asked you provide a STAND ALONE VP device thats got wireless capablity, vp app is not a stand alone, and theres problems still, I have seen more than you might have seen. Guess you cant provide one which means your talk is cheap.

Once you work inside VRS you will understand better, you know adding wifi on any device, but for stand alone VP wouldnt cost company much, but theres too many variables on networking setups making reliable connection every time is impossible. The link you provided about a guy who successfully set up, I can believe that because its only a short term test, if he had done in long term testing he will soon find out theres more problems waiting to show up. I wasnt the one that quit, its not quit, its on the table and until somebody figured out how on greater scale, and long term success, then it will be out in public. Keep in mind anytime when theres problem with vp, the vrs provider technical support will have their phone rung off the hook constantly... from complaining customers. Thats why they wont have wifi on vp device, like I said it wasnt my decision. It was corp executive decision.

Keep in mind, I never said that I never got it working right, I sure had success with WiFi connection, I saw more failure rate than success, so it does not make sense going at larger scale at this time... In future its matter of MAYBE, thats all.

My advice, if you never work inside VRS, keep to yourself! Cause your talk is cheap as well. You may not know enough to realize.

Last edited:

I means 5.0 GHz, not 5.4 GHz.

I use 5.0 GHz for Apple TV because it does have clear crystal HD quality video when streaming via Airplay and my MacBook Pro.

I left vrs that have nothing to do with this. I was injured at work and now on disablity, so this is not a myth, I asked you provide a STAND ALONE VP device thats got wireless capablity, vp app is not a stand alone, and theres problems still, I have seen more than you might have seen. Guess you cant provide one which means your talk is cheap.

Once you work inside VRS you will understand better, you know adding wifi on any device, but for stand alone VP wouldnt cost company much, but theres too many variables on networking setups making reliable connection every time is impossible. The link you provided about a guy who successfully set up, I can believe that because its only a short term test, if he had done in long term testing he will soon find out theres more problems waiting to show up. I wasnt the one that quit, its not quit, its on the table and until somebody figured out how on greater scale, and long term success, then it will be out in public. Keep in mind anytime when theres problem with vp, the vrs provider technical support will have their phone rung off the hook constantly... from complaining customers. Thats why they wont have wifi on vp device, like I said it wasnt my decision. It was corp executive decision.

Keep in mind, I never said that I never got it working right, I sure had success with WiFi connection, I saw more failure rate than success, so it does not make sense going at larger scale at this time... In future its matter of MAYBE, thats all.

My advice, if you never work inside VRS, keep to yourself! Cause your talk is cheap as well. You may not know enough to realize.

So what? Sorenson with VP can't made stable WIFI because they gave up so easy like you and switched to Apple tablet and Android tablet due stable WIFI. BTW I tried between VRS and Facetime under LTE and I noticed Facetime is more smooth than VRS at exactly same location. Apple did great job for codec.

Why you still keeps talk about Sorenson again and again? This thread talking about WIFI issue which DO NOTHING with VRS. It's router or model or ISP or house/apt/condo/builds.

Your advice is very bad and I tired of heard your negative about WIFI all time which mostly of us have no problem with WIFI as you setup up correct. So many of my friends/families use their tablets more than their computers.

Funny-Wifi-cartoon.jpg

So what? Sorenson with VP can't made stable WIFI because they gave up so easy like you and switched to Apple tablet and Android tablet due stable WIFI. BTW I tried between VRS and Facetime under LTE and I noticed Facetime is more smooth than VRS at exactly same location. Apple did great job for codec.

Why you still keeps talk about Sorenson again and again? This thread talking about WIFI issue which DO NOTHING with VRS. It's router or model or ISP or house/apt/condo/builds.

Your advice is very bad and I tired of heard your negative about WIFI all time which mostly of us have no problem with WIFI as you setup up correct. So many of my friends/families use their tablets more than their computers.

Please re-read the title of this thread.

Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back