VRS, WiFi and new modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeafDucky

Reaction score
Figured I'd try asking here as well...

We switched to a new cable modem not too long ago (not by choice- TWC made us) from an Arris modem with no wifi (Used an older Linksys router) to a UBee modem with wifi (through TWC- thought we'd try that...).

Now, I thought I had used VRS (ZVRS) since we switched and the upload/download speeds upgrade (Same package just a bump up in speed- TWC roll out for all customers). But...In the last 2 weeks I haven not been able to use my VRS. Here's the break down--

1. With ZVRS, I can log in fine but after dialing a number, it waits a bit, never goes to the VRS center. The application then kicks me out and my wifi drops out. WiFi will then reconnect after about a minute or 2.

2. With Sorenson, when I tried to call the CIR dept (to get a new number- seems the one I had expired oops), I was able to connect for about 2-3 minutes and talk to the guy, but then the wifi dropped and the application stopped working.

Not even going to try Purple or Skype.

Have noticed the wifi dropping every so often on its own but other than that neither me nor my father has had issues with browsing, email, viewing Youtube, Netflix and Amazon Prime videos (in fact I had just gotten done viewing a Cheers episode on Amazon) and the speed is right where it's supposed to be when I tested it on my PC (dad's mac is connected to the modem via ethernet cable).

Has anyone ever run into this problem? And what can I do? Tweak modem settings? Drop TWC wireless and just go get a new wireless router? Hoping to get this resolved soon as it is a big part of my job hunting- using the mobile version is out of the question- too small for me to see well enough.

Still waiting to hear back from ZVRS support- they are slow via email (since I can't call by phone!). Just sent a note to Sorenson too.

(which one I like/should stay with is a whole other story.. I can't decide lol).

Figured I'd try asking here as well...

We switched to a new cable modem not too long ago (not by choice- TWC made us) from an Arris modem with no wifi (Used an older Linksys router) to a UBee modem with wifi (through TWC- thought we'd try that...).

Now, I thought I had used VRS (ZVRS) since we switched and the upload/download speeds upgrade (Same package just a bump up in speed- TWC roll out for all customers). But...In the last 2 weeks I haven not been able to use my VRS. Here's the break down--

1. With ZVRS, I can log in fine but after dialing a number, it waits a bit, never goes to the VRS center. The application then kicks me out and my wifi drops out. WiFi will then reconnect after about a minute or 2.

2. With Sorenson, when I tried to call the CIR dept (to get a new number- seems the one I had expired oops), I was able to connect for about 2-3 minutes and talk to the guy, but then the wifi dropped and the application stopped working.

Not even going to try Purple or Skype.

Have noticed the wifi dropping every so often on its own but other than that neither me nor my father has had issues with browsing, email, viewing Youtube, Netflix and Amazon Prime videos (in fact I had just gotten done viewing a Cheers episode on Amazon) and the speed is right where it's supposed to be when I tested it on my PC (dad's mac is connected to the modem via ethernet cable).

Has anyone ever run into this problem? And what can I do? Tweak modem settings? Drop TWC wireless and just go get a new wireless router? Hoping to get this resolved soon as it is a big part of my job hunting- using the mobile version is out of the question- too small for me to see well enough.

Still waiting to hear back from ZVRS support- they are slow via email (since I can't call by phone!). Just sent a note to Sorenson too.

(which one I like/should stay with is a whole other story.. I can't decide lol).

So you use TWC's new modem with WIFI? If so then call to TWC and complained about Wifi dropped issue. You can connect your used old router to modem.

videophone demand constant connection to VRS server, most wifi doesn't maintain constant connection, due to security reason they drop out and verify the username and password and reconnect. This is why many VRS provider equipment abandoned WiFi as added features. This have been tried too numerous times with little success, remember "little success" meaning there are few that have success but majority of them with full of problems. If that WiFi modem has Ethernet port, use them instead. I am TWC customer and have WiFi modem, I asked them to turn it (WiFi) off from gateway modem, problem solved.

well the strange thing is we had the ARRIS modem before this (an older model even) and VRS worked perfectly fine with that modem (and a 5+ year old router). I cannot do a ethernet port because MY computer is in the room next to where the cable for internet originates. My father's computer is the one plugged into the ethernet port.

So it baffles me as to why THIS modem ( a slightly newer one...??) is not playing nice with the VRS services at all.

I can't see why they would abandon wifi for those who can't connect to ethernet (no I will not string a cable from here to there) or those who are out and about and have to use wifi to connect anyway. Strange to me.

So going from my past experience it should work. Maybe we'll go back to the set up we had before- turn off UBee wifi and put back Linsys router) and see what that does. Or add in the router anyway and see what happens.

Wifi does not drop that often. It only drops when I try to use the VRS.

DD, I understand what you mean, the problem is that there are great various on design and set up on router/gateway modems. There is no such thing as universal routers. Have you ever wondering why many VRS provider have abandoned WiFi? Perfect example is Ojo VP, they thought they could stun every modem/router and in the end they found the truth, it is next to impossible. So, to guarantee best connection is without WiFi and this does not mean WiFi won't work, it might or might NOT work depending on brand, model, and firmware. I have seen two identical WiFi routers and one of them works with VP and the other one won't work well... the only difference is the firmware. Your new gateway Wifi modem may have lousy firmware in it. Sometimes hardware portion may be part of the problem and can not be fixed.

After experiencing as technical support, and Alpha/Beta tester (Alpha means they are testing before ever released to the public), we had hit and miss success to the point where too many complaints flooded up regard to WiFi connection, we abandoned the "Guarantee" that it (VP) would work with WiFi.

I don't understand technology (wifi + VRS combo) enough to answer your question, but I had a very similar problem about 5 years ago. I could not connect to VRS without cutting out the WiFi, and then after making a VRS call, I could not get the WiFi back on without re-booting the whole router. Each and every time. I even posted about it here at that time. I finally gave up on the VRS. I guess I preferred being able to access WiFi over VRS at that time. :) Sorenson was my VRS provider at that time, and they made numerous house calls, and they could not get the problem resolved. So to this day I still don't know what didn't work right. So I feel for you.

I don't understand technology (wifi + VRS combo) enough to answer your question, but I had a very similar problem about 5 years ago. I could not connect to VRS without cutting out the WiFi, and then after making a VRS call, I could not get the WiFi back on without re-booting the whole router. Each and every time. I even posted about it here at that time. I finally gave up on the VRS. I guess I preferred being able to access WiFi over VRS at that time. :) Sorenson was my VRS provider at that time, and they made numerous house calls, and they could not get the problem resolved. So to this day I still don't know what didn't work right. So I feel for you.
yeah would hate to give up VRS due to job hunting. I could go back to using my cell phone but that just frustrates me with voice only :(. Thought about getting the standalone devices from either ZVRS or Sorenson... but that still won't solve the issue of wifi dropping. Don't want to give up WiFi either lol.

If I can find my box of cables, might have a super long one to try direct ethernet if there's room on the modem to do more than 1.

That odd I been doing same thing all morning but I gave up will to live and nothing been done

This is something I really don't understand whats the fuss of WiFi? I can live without WiFi and teetering myself than having nothing at all which I can't at all. Sometimes compromises needs to be made :dunno:

I recall a nice customer that I had assisted who lives in real nice and remote countryside where they don't see their neighbors at all. Here's a story, that person does not want to give up the videophone and had "impossible to solve" problems (Bad video). I envy that person on where they lived, so peaceful down there anyway back to the issue that this person is having... I was able to have a chat with customer's on-site field technician from Internet company, the technician told me exact the problem and was frustrated even that this company maxed out the speed, there is no way to increase speed and the problem is the endpoint of where this customer resides exceeded the limitation and is at 5th hops from backbone, the true limit is 4 hops. The only way to fix this problem is that the telephone company isn't willing to extend the backbone just for 1 or so customer. Cable installation isn't cheap. Other choice that this customer would have is compromise for the beauty of view or relocate for better video.

So, I see it is easier to just take the Ethernet and shove WiFi if want better video than running around asking people to make calls or spending on gas to get to some place just to make an appointment and so on.

that's true that ethernet is a much better option and if I ever get to move out (this isn't my home lol) I always do that- ethernet the PC and set up wifi after that... hm I think that's how I set it up last time. It changes so much year to year unfortunately.

I've managed to set up the wifi with my router (and in the process saving 5.00 a month for parents lol), and we also solved the issue with the VRS in the end after trying to work out a different issue- the TWC rep was a huge help with both issues. All it was, changed the wireless security mode to a different one (WPA/Mixed Mode) and that worked. I'll be testing more tomorrow as the CIR for Sorenson is closed down for the night.

Soooo.. yep I see your point DHB but I guess with WiFi it makes it easier for people to not be tethered to their PC all day and take laptop downstairs or something. Then again better to not be tethered to anything either. :)

I happen to noticed that more and more newer modem that have what called WMM, Wirless Multi Media, it's more of QOS and if you have it in the Wifi setting, you may want to do experiment on that. If enabled, try disabling it and see what happen. It may have other setting as well.

This is something I really don't understand whats the fuss of WiFi? I can live without WiFi and teetering myself than having nothing at all which I can't at all. Sometimes compromises needs to be made :dunno:

I recall a nice customer that I had assisted who lives in real nice and remote countryside where they don't see their neighbors at all. Here's a story, that person does not want to give up the videophone and had "impossible to solve" problems (Bad video). I envy that person on where they lived, so peaceful down there anyway back to the issue that this person is having... I was able to have a chat with customer's on-site field technician from Internet company, the technician told me exact the problem and was frustrated even that this company maxed out the speed, there is no way to increase speed and the problem is the endpoint of where this customer resides exceeded the limitation and is at 5th hops from backbone, the true limit is 4 hops. The only way to fix this problem is that the telephone company isn't willing to extend the backbone just for 1 or so customer. Cable installation isn't cheap. Other choice that this customer would have is compromise for the beauty of view or relocate for better video.

So, I see it is easier to just take the Ethernet and shove WiFi if want better video than running around asking people to make calls or spending on gas to get to some place just to make an appointment and so on.

If you live in a multi-user household, it's easier to have WiFi so that there isn't a line standing waiting to use a single computer hooked up to an Ethernet cable. In my house, there's at least 5 devices using WiFi.

But to each their own.

I happen to noticed that more and more newer modem that have what called WMM, Wirless Multi Media, it's more of QOS and if you have it in the Wifi setting, you may want to do experiment on that. If enabled, try disabling it and see what happen. It may have other setting as well.
Very true. Both the ZVRS tech and I learned a few things (I should have asked for a fee for sharing the ultimate solution with him...). So far everything is working as it should so I'm happy about that. The video did seem to skip/black out once or twice on Sorenson but I think I fixed that (I had enabled tunneling on their settings so disabled it).

Every time I end up with new technology, there's always something I gotta fiddle with to get everything working lol. Dad still hates El Capitan (I haven't played with it enough but it's definitely different than what he had- Snow Leopard or Lion I think).

If you live in a multi-user household, it's easier to have WiFi so that there isn't a line standing waiting to use a single computer hooked up to an Ethernet cable. In my house, there's at least 5 devices using WiFi.

But to each their own.

Multi-users household with too many WiFi host CAN slow down considerable. The more WiFi connections, the more inferences there is. Ethernet on other hand can handle more hosts better than WiFi does. If one lives in very isolated area with little WiFi available, one or two hosts, the better it is. These WiFi router antenna has its limitation, same with Cell phone towers, they can handle up to certain numbers of connections before they start to slow down.

Ethernet, if done properly with switches built in or stand alone would handle far better than WiFi, because they got their own port, just like an antenna, and switch is programmed to memorize the route of all Internet connections which reduces broadcasting noises throughout. WiFi on other hand constantly broadcast ALL signals no matter what which forces every hosts listening and figuring out whether it is for them or not, if it is for them, they have to respond back to WiFi Access Point let them know it is for them and verify the authentication of connection which slows down the connection speed, Ethernet cables do not have to go though authentication because Ethernet is physically connected, no way anyone can crack in without actually messing up with cables, so there is limited need for authentication

Keep in mind, Wireless is the weakest when it comes to security, this is precisely why there is too many time outs, what generally time outs is for? To verify the connection is the correct one not somebody else trying to hack in. Ethernet has advantage when it comes to security, thus requires much less authentication process.

I didn't say either the Ethernet or Wifi was the more ideal solution. I was only stating MY reason for sticking with Wifi. Again, to each their own preferences.

I didn't say either the Ethernet or Wifi was the more ideal solution. I was only stating MY reason for sticking with Wifi. Again, to each their own preferences.

Define "IF you blah blah"? DO you mean it is for you AC? You could have said better way, like "For me, blah blah" then it is different story.

Keep in mind I was technical support and part of Alpha-beta testing team. There was a lot of cool features and stuff that was never reveal, nor released to the public and because of bunch of limitations we have dealt with many of them will never happen, or won't be around for long time.

I'd use WIFI for other devices such as Smart TV, phones and other equipments, it's better than having clutter around the house with ethernet wires. Like AC says to each their own with their preference... I use WIFI for TV, PS4, phones... the only thing I use ethernet is this Mac and VP. That's pretty much it.

WIFI is a good reason to keep areas clear of clutter and wire tangling with power cord, and other things.

Define "IF you blah blah"? DO you mean it is for you AC? You could have said better way, like "For me, blah blah" then it is different story.

Keep in mind I was technical support and part of Alpha-beta testing team. There was a lot of cool features and stuff that was never reveal, nor released to the public and because of bunch of limitations we have dealt with many of them will never happen, or won't be around for long time.
I believe she was using "you" to mean the generic population as a whole.

AlleyCat said:

Her first statement is just saying 'in general...' and is not aimed at any one particular person- a 'general you' and she did say in the next sentence "in MY house" to explain how hers is set up. The way she worded it was fine.

Seemed like you (DHB) might have singled her out or something.
Keep in mind too most people are not that savvy with wifi information and everything that goes along with it (including me) but what's out there now is fine in general for the average person.

I believe she was using "you" to mean the generic population as a whole.

Her first statement is just saying 'in general...' and is not aimed at any one particular person- a 'general you' and she did say in the next sentence "in MY house" to explain how hers is set up. The way she worded it was fine.

Seemed like you (DHB) might have singled her out or something.
Keep in mind too most people are not that savvy with wifi information and everything that goes along with it (including me) but what's out there now is fine in general for the average person.

No, she seems single out on me.

I am just sharing my experience and what I learn. Yes, it is nice to have wireless that frees up the clutters. But when it comes to "real time" Wireless isn't that great, and Ethernet has always been best method of connection when it comes to connection quality. Often wireless is fine for most applications. The real time application generally involves Video calls in real time, even voice calls as well and with wireless security issues, it does interference real time application considerable and in order to fix it, one would have to give up some quality, as its kinda impossible to fix it by 100%. So, if one wants wireless, need to realize that they give up the quality of real time connection in exchange for clutter free environment. Many of people have asked me why Netflix, other video streaming works great while Videophone have lousy video? Simple put, these netflix, other videostreaming uses "Canned" system, which means when you start a videostream, you notice delay in start up, right? That is to allow about 3 minutes worth of buffer to allow device correct lost, damaged packet so you won't even notice it at all. No way with real time video.

She was talking about HER own set-up at least twice. I have the same situation as she does....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back