VRI or Live Interpreter?

jrsysure76

Reaction score
I am curious if Deaf people on this forum prefer VRI or Live Interpreters for their access to communication....especially in hospital settings. I run into a good number of Deaf people that complain about having to use VRI, and would prefer using live interpreters. The problem is in community settings, especially hospitals, the Deaf consumers rarely fight for the use of live terps. I am wondering why they don't press this issue more when the hospitals try to force them to use VRI. Can any Deaf give me their opinions on this?

I recalled that ADA approved VRI so hospital just followed the guide policy without bothering to listen to OUR needs, and stick with VRI, not live interpreter. My hometown, one hosptial did get a VRI when we arrived, which was emergency. THe following one hour later, the live interpreter showed up. I thought its great. Surprised some hospitals dont do that.

I rather having an live interpreter.

Its best to have both, even though VRI has some technical issues, will improve over time. the plm is net neurality is what screws, FCC never thought of this because nobody complains or voice concerns that people with disability that depends on video should have given higher priority which could help vrs, vri, and point to point vp.

It would be mistake to just pick one and forget others, so be wise get both of the world. Terp is NOT everywhere. Sometimes timing so important that VRI gets service much faster.

I've yet to experience VRI...and so many times a live Terp was hours before coming...even with the last surgery I had, the live terp arrived in the operating room just a few minutes before they put me out....and a paper was put before me to sign...and I didn't have my glasses and no Terp or a VRI...

Yes, I was upset...but realize these inconveniences do happen....I'm not about suing the hospital or the Interpretor Agency, as some people threaten to do. Our City has a severe shortage of live terps.

This is precisely why I support VRI, it is about timing. Live terp takes time to show up, VRI on other hand can be ready in no time, but the plm is often it comes to bad connection which result poor quality VRI. Bad connection often has to do with bottleneck effect, with net neutrality, the priority remains same for everybody regardless, BAM! VRI not that important to them.

Another problem is many IT technicians at hospital knows little about firewall, and knows almost nothing about firewall when it comes to video part. I know it is very easy but to them, they are pretty much clueless, thats because most firewalls open are for outbound transmission, most firewalls have been set by default at factory for IN-bound (Blocking) transmission firewalls thus blocked video transmission (Very common issue) where you see black screen.

Thats why it is bad idea to be selective with one avenue and ignoring other avenue.

VRI is very similar as VRS, only difference between VRI and VRS is VRI is in same room conversation while VRS is used for remote conversation like different room, or different building. The technology used on VRI and VRS remains the same.

I've yet to experience VRI...and so many times a live Terp was hours before coming...even with the last surgery I had, the live terp arrived in the operating room just a few minutes before they put me out....and a paper was put before me to sign...and I didn't have my glasses and no Terp or a VRI...

Yes, I was upset...but realize these inconveniences do happen....I'm not about suing the hospital or the Interpretor Agency, as some people threaten to do. Our City has a severe shortage of live terps.

Only if we got lack of idiot IT technicians.

I know crystal smooth video on VRI is very possible when one knows inside and outside of VRI system, only plm is... ineptness.

When it comes to audio part... BAM! they become experts and yes I have seen them like that.

VRI needs to be SOLID with connecting with the network.

At my workplace (USPS), there's a VRI for safety talk or official discussions. I already asked one interpreter on VRI how soon a supervisor can call for an appt when the supervisor needs to talk to a deaf employee (ex: suspension or termination). The interpreter said 10 minutes in advance if the supervisor needs the service right away. Naturally, it is very costly. As for regular meetings, call 24 hrs in advance or set up the schedule with VRI (in other words, it's a contract).

If an ER has a VRI, a Dr should be able to talk to you via VRI after the ER calls VRI 10 min in advance. Goodbye, live interpreters who can't make it in 10 min.

Actually VRI is allowed by ADA if all REQUIRMENT IS MET otherwise Deaf people have the right to request for a live interpreter if the requirement is not met.

Check out the revised ADA requirement, it covered VRI now ...

http://www.ada.gov/effective-comm.htm

Actually VRI is allowed by ADA if all REQUIRMENT IS MET otherwise Deaf people have the right to request for a live interpreter if the requirement is not met.

Check out the revised ADA requirement, it covered VRI now ...

http://www.ada.gov/effective-comm.htm

The VRI was installed at my workplace by Sorenson. The video camera is about 3 inches in diameter. VRI interpreter is able to zoom it in or out and position it to another direction. As for video quality, there was no problem. Sometimes there was a sound problem since someone messed with it so I figured out to make it work again.

I see the issues with VRI if it's at the place that have noise level. It make difficult from the audio/speaker than the live terp.

Urban and suburban- Live interpreter
Rural in middle of nowhere- VRI

Urban and suburban- Live interpreter
Rural in middle of nowhere- VRI
What's up with your butterflies? LOL They represent peace? If so, I love them.

Anyway, yes that's true, in the middle of nowhere, that's why there are VRIs. Who wants to wait for a live interpreter to show up in an ER for 1 hour or so?

What's up with your butterflies? LOL They represent peace? If so, I love them.

Anyway, yes that's true, in the middle of nowhere, that's why there are VRIs. Who wants to wait for a live interpreter to show up in an ER for 1 hour or so?

Lol Thanks. I think they are beautiful.

Yeah. I hate living in the middle of nowhere. No access for Deaf people.

Back