Vodka-flavoured ice-cream sparks protest

CatoCooper13

Reaction score
A new vodka-flavoured ice-cream on sale in Victoria will introduce children to the tastes of alcohol at too young an age, anti-drug campaigners say.

Streets say their "Illicit Vodka Cranberry Magnum" contains no alcohol and is designed for adults.

But the director of the Community Alcohol Action Network, Geoff Munro, said ice-cream was a "quintessential" children's product and Streets were ignoring the huge problems Australians had with alcohol.

"It introduces children to the taste of alcohol at potentially a very early age and I think that should be avoided," he said.

Mr Munro said the description of the ice-cream as naughty and illicit would reinforce the perception among young people that alcohol was forbidden and exciting.

The new ice-cream continued a trend for extension of alcohol flavours into foods, he said.

"These products normalise alcohol and suggest to people that they ought to be thinking about alcohol just about every hour of the day," he said.

The opposition to the new ice-cream mirrors the row over the appearance of alcoholic biscuits earlier this year.

Arnotts introduction of the new Tim Tam Tia Maria and Kahlua slice biscuits in February drew a rebuke from federal Opposition Leader Mark Latham who said alcohol flavoured products targeted at children were a bad idea.

Arnotts said the biscuits were not targeted at children, but at women aged between 20 and 45.

:-o This is shocking! I wonder if this sort of thing is similarly happening in other countries? I've had Arnott's Tim Tam Maria and Kahula and must admit they both taste delicious. I just don't like the idea of introducing alcoholic flavoured biscuits/crackers, etc that kids like to eat as well. :ugh: Not really impressed with the company's decision in introducing such items that will be openly accessible to kids.

wow, that's their clever "advertising" for
licking ice cream... hmmm lol

This would definitely be good for people who are afraid to get drunk! They can still have vodka-flavored milkshakes! Heh!

Ewwwww! dont think i will like the vodka flavor in ice cream! grozzz! i hate the taste of vodka anyways.....

My friends recently have tried avocado ice cream. I think it sounds too weird but they say it's good. I'll have to take their word for it though as I can't eat avocado.

Megalofyia said:
My friends recently have tried avocado ice cream. I think it sounds too weird but they say it's good. I'll have to take their word for it though as I can't eat avocado.
Wait until you try seaweed ice cream! They have that at a local japanese restaurant near here. Heh!

Back