Vocational Rehabilitation Employment Assistance

Has anyone closed their case with VR because you felt they were not helpful? I feel worse being with them than finding employment on my own. I thought they might be helpful than looking on your own, but I am not seeing it's any better than looking for a job on your own. Having a case with them just seems to delay than help you get closer to employment. Switching counselors is not a guarantee that the next counselor will be better. In fact, no counselor's been able to find me a job in the past. It's easy for them to pay for your things than help you find employment.
My experience has been that it's not their job to find you a job, but to help you with accommodations, skills assessments, resume writing, interview skills, training, etc. They may provide lists of jobs that they feel we're suited for but it's not their job to apply and interview for those jobs.

No, I know it is not their job to apply and interview for jobs. I wouldn't want them doing that for me.

What I have been offered is a list of employment providers who assist people that have disabilities. You pick the one you want. You can change if you want. Each agency might be different. I tried one from the list and the lady got personal with something I said. That made me uncomfortable and it was unprofessional, so I decided not to work with that agency.

I switched to one the counselor recommended, but I haven't heard for almost a month now. I contacted her but she has not responded. At first, she found an interview at a place I have already been to before but I don't like the place. She found another job lead I have been to before but not what I am looking for. I feel the person is informal in the process. There's no sense of order or weekly follow ups. I don't see anything she does better or helpful than I already do on my own.

Anyone tried an employment provider? What was it like for you?

I guess I should decide to either keep on doing this myself or keep changing employment providers until I find one that works...

hey how do i go about as an adult getting childhood benifits for having profound deafness, my mom never applied for me.
ps any good lawyers?

hey how do i go about as an adult getting childhood benifits for having profound deafness, my mom never applied for me.
ps any good lawyers?

what kind of benefits?

I don't think you can... I recall saying on my SSDI application the date of my deafness was my birthdate... but you don't get retroactive payments for that (since I worked previously anyway). I don't know how it would work for somebody who grew up, went to college but never really had a full time job after graduating (basing that on a deaf-blind person I know)

go to www.indeed.com and apply for 5 jobs a day. put down your home VP number. and email with your name on it (Not I likeexyixen@.com). remove deaf from my our resume.

Don't depend on the VR/DORS counselor or the job placement counselor to do everything for you.

No, I know it is not their job to apply and interview for jobs. I wouldn't want them doing that for me.

What I have been offered is a list of employment providers who assist people that have disabilities. You pick the one you want. You can change if you want. Each agency might be different. I tried one from the list and the lady got personal with something I said. That made me uncomfortable and it was unprofessional, so I decided not to work with that agency.

I switched to one the counselor recommended, but I haven't heard for almost a month now. I contacted her but she has not responded. At first, she found an interview at a place I have already been to before but I don't like the place. She found another job lead I have been to before but not what I am looking for. I feel the person is informal in the process. There's no sense of order or weekly follow ups. I don't see anything she does better or helpful than I already do on my own.

Anyone tried an employment provider? What was it like for you?

I guess I should decide to either keep on doing this myself or keep changing employment providers until I find one that works...

you never work? get SSI
You worked before? You get SSDI if you passed all the medical required tests like audiograph. Then you have to wait for two years in order to get medicare. no back pay now. new rules.

ps any good lawyers?

you never work? get SSI
You worked before? You get SSDI if you passed all the medical required tests like audiograph. Then you have to wait for two years in order to get medicare. no back pay now. new rules.

Interestingly I know of one person who gets both SSI and SSDI. No- I don't know how that was managed. Neither is a good enough amount to survive on in general even if you've worked more than a total of 15 years (for SSDI, SSI and SS- the more work history you have the higher the amount).

Deleted because the post I was replying to is no longer here.

Last edited:
Back