Vizio won't show DVD CC; why?!

I didn't set anything - I just hooked it to DVD player with components (I originally planned to hook AV component, but decided on "better" component) and play, it worked. *shrug*
That info is useless because you don't know what mode it is in. 480p or 480i? It makes a difference. If you don't know how to find out, forget it!

Sheesh... If sometihng works, I don't care the specifics. :P

I just turned on and the HDTV displayed "480i SD."

Sheesh... If sometihng works, I don't care the specifics. :P

I just turned on and the HDTV displayed "480i SD."
That's why you are able to see DVD movies with CC. If it's set to 480p for better resolution, you will not be able to see CC. You can test it yourself if you like. BTW, you will notice a difference in picture quality. So if a DVD movie has subtitles or SDH, I would rather watch it in 480p. If no subtitles or SDH but it has CC, then I would have to switch it to 480i which sucks like Foxrac said.

That's why you are able to see DVD movies with CC. If it's set to 480p for better resolution, you will not be able to see CC. You can test it yourself if you like. BTW, you will notice a difference in picture quality. So if a DVD movie has subtitles or SDH, I would rather watch it in 480p. If no subtitles or SDH but it has CC, then I would have to switch it to 480i which sucks like Foxrac said.

You will likely to watch upscaled DVD to 1080p with HDMI if DVD has subtitle/SDH.

Eww. We use HDMI. Our HDTV is Vizio for over 6 years or so. No problem with CC thru HDMI. :)

I used component cable for TEST ONLY, not use on daily basis. Most newer LED HDTV doesn't have component/composite built-in now and you have to use break-up cable if you want use component/composite, especially my newer Vizio HDTV.

I used all 4 HDMI to my 46" Vizio HDTV (got in December 2011) - PS3, Xbox 360, DVR and VP.

CC? How are you defined? The HDMI doesn't support to send CC signal from TV. If your DVD/BD player have CC decoder built-in so it is likely to work. My Directv DVR has CC decoder built-in so works fine with HDMI but not CC from TV.

The CC from TV only work if you use local HD via antenna, also this thread is about CC from TV.

You will likely to watch upscaled DVD to 1080p with HDMI if DVD has subtitle/SDH.
I don't have a BD player yet. I still have a DVD player with component video output (no HDMI port). I always watched DVD movies with subtitles in 480p, however my HDTV upconverts it to 1080p which is its native resolution. The pictures looked pretty good.

Nevertheless, I don't purchase or rent DVDs anymore since I watch 720p or 1080p torrented movies with subtitles (sometimes SDH) on my HDTV via XBMC. It saves me alot of money.

I have two Vizio TVs, 37" and 32". Both have same issue that if I use HDMI, its menu tab where CC settings located disappeared. I am fully aware of it so I have to use Subtitle on PS3 for Blueray or DVD. My old Toshiba DVD player use RCA, it does have Progressive but I decide to stick with older method. I am looking foward to get new LED TV with Digital and Analog CC built-in. Perhap more likely another Vizio TV but 60" wide :evil: for my basement.

Interesting to note that when I use HDMI or Progressive connected to Cable Converter, It pop warning message and refuse to let me watch HBO or some channel that it thought I was trying to hack and copy the movie from converter when actually direct connected from Converter to TV. I just simply want less messy cable, just use HDMI 1, 2, and 3 instead of Component. I ended up switching back to sucky old fashioned RCA to shut em up. I plan on replacing my old Toshiba DVD player for newer DVD/BlueRay player with HDMI connector. Cuz Toshiba DVD player is getting funky and picky over minor scratched DVDs (it froze whenever it hits scratched part and kinda locked up my DVD player until I had to hit eject or power off and on.) It's over 9 years old already and I can tell it's going to come down anytime soon. I don't want DVD/Blueray player with Internet ready cuz there were issue with Netflix not showing subtitles option while PS3, Laptop, and my EVO shows it have. MY friend had that issue.

Catty

Because component video is junk.
Old DVD players like mine don't have HDMI ports so what do you expect? Anyway if you play an old DVD on a BD player, you still won't be able to watch it with CC via HDMI if this disc doesn't have subtitles or SDH.

BTW, component video can deliver 480p, 720p and 1080i signals (video only, no audio). All of those resolutions are HD. HDMI can deliver those signals plus 1080p which is true HD and also up to 9.1 audio channels.

I don't want DVD/Blueray player with Internet ready cuz there were issue with Netflix not showing subtitles option while PS3, Laptop, and my EVO shows it have. MY friend had that issue.

Catty
Currently, a few BD players have subtitles capability for Netflix streaming movies. You have to contact the company and ask what brands and models support its subtitles. Panasonic is one of the brands but not all of its models support it.

Old DVD players like mine don't have HDMI ports so what do you expect? Anyway if you play an old DVD on a BD player, you still won't be able to watch it with CC via HDMI if this disc doesn't have subtitles or SDH.

BTW, component video can deliver 480p, 720p and 1080i signals (video only, no audio). All of those resolutions are HD. HDMI can deliver those signals plus 1080p which is true HD and also up to 9.1 audio channels.

No matter, Most newer blu-ray player and dvd player with HDMI should have decoder built-in. That's right you can look thru player's menu to enable CC without a disc.

BTW all blu-ray disc should come with SDH.

Don't forget about hertz Refresh Rate. The DVD up to 60Hz and BD up to 240Hz or so. You should watch between 60Hz and 240Hz thru BD at store. 240Hz feels like 3D to me.

No matter, Most newer blu-ray player and dvd player with HDMI should have decoder built-in. That's right you can look thru player's menu to enable CC without a disc.
Please give me the model numbers/brand names (BD players only) and I will look them up to see if they have a CC decoder built-in.

BTW all blu-ray disc should come with SDH.

Don't forget about hertz Refresh Rate. The DVD up to 60Hz and BD up to 240Hz or so. You should watch between 60Hz and 240Hz thru BD at store. 240Hz feels like 3D to me.

Not all, unfortunately. I came across several documentary show on BR that does not have SDH and one of Jackie Chan movie combo that also does not come with SDH or subtitle. :roll:

Not all, unfortunately. I came across several documentary show on BR that does not have SDH and one of Jackie Chan movie combo that also does not come with SDH or subtitle. :roll:

It looks like they are not widely commercial films.

Not sure what happened there - probably trying to save their budget. Some of documentary are history stories such as WWII, Rome, etc... which should be included SDH and there's no excuse for not adding SDH if they're trying to teach us on history thing.

Jackie Chan movies which I bought (I'm huge Jackie Chan fan) are called Miramax Double Feature: Supercop & Twin Dragons. I don't know why they wouldn't include SDH (their DVD have CC on them).

Not sure what happened there - probably trying to save their budget. Some of documentary are history stories such as WWII, Rome, etc... which should be included SDH and there's no excuse for not adding SDH if they're trying to teach us on history thing.

Jackie Chan movies which I bought (I'm huge Jackie Chan fan) are called Miramax Double Feature: Supercop & Twin Dragons. I don't know why they wouldn't include SDH (their DVD have CC on them).

We could tell the congress to pass the law to require all film companies to include SDH on all DVD/BD releases in USA.

Back