visually impaired and studying ASL

OpheliaSpeaks

Reaction score
Hi all,

My best friend is visually impaired and uses a guide dog. She would like to take ASL classes at the local university. She has already studied some ASL through the community college where she used to live.

I suggested she request an interpreter to sit in front of her and re-sign everything that goes on in the classroom. She hadn't thought of that idea, but liked it. Before, she would move around the room, which I think could get distracting to the teacher and students.

Anyone else have any feedback or ideas? She specifically asked what this kind of interpreter is called. I wasn't sure - I suggested she call it a "low vision ASL terp"?

Thanks!

Hi Ophelia,

I think the idea of your best friend using a terp in ASL class is an excellent idea. If she plans to use close range signing, terps don't go by any other name other than a "terp."

She might also benefit from using tactile sign in which case she would request a "tactile terp for the deafblind."

I should emphasize that if she wants to use tactile that she request a "tactile terp" due to the fact that "ordinary" terps are uncomfortable and/or may not have experience with doing tactile sign.

Hope this helps! :)

i like the idea, i think thats what im going to do next semester, have someone sit in front of me and resign everything.

Back