Visor Alert

Saavik

Reaction score
I'm still sick today and I decided since I needed to pass time that I'd look at the DMV's website where I found this thing called Visor alert. I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. Right now I guess I'd feel like I have a neon sign saying "Hey, look at me! Over here, look, I'm different!" but the wallet sized one seems to be a more private way and helpful. Not sure I'd keep that thing on my visor.

What do you think?

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Interesting. I think I prefer to tell the cop I am deaf myself. I've done so and it's no problem. I don't need a neon orange card announcing that I'm deaf as if I'm something to be cautious/danger to him.

I think it's pretty safe as it is concealed except if police stop you.

It doesn't advertise to the world that you are deaf and might make a good target.

Yeah, I guess it might not be as bad as I feel it is. If it sits on my sun visor all the time, then I wouldn't want it as it stands out badly.

Oh, and for anyone that is deaf, apparently Virginia allows you to get a handicap placard, which I find strange, but maybe it's just me?

Is there a benefit to these plates?

$%28KGrHqJ,!ogFHwGUiT9HBSFitycc4!~~60_57.JPG

Those plates probably will only benefit the police officers that pull you over. They are required to call in the plate before approaching you, so the dispatcher probably will reply with "Owner is hearing impaired, armed, and dangerous. Proceed with caution. Bring pencil & paper."

Still....it is better than "HC" and taking advantage of HC parking spots that should only be used for those that really need 'em.

Those plates probably will only benefit the police officers that pull you over. They are required to call in the plate before approaching you, so the dispatcher probably will reply with "Owner is hearing impaired, armed, and dangerous. Proceed with caution. Bring pencil & paper."

Still....it is better than "HC" and taking advantage of HC parking spots that should only be used for those that really need 'em.

I just had this great mental image of a cop with his gun drawn, crouching behind his open door for cover. Then he ducks down behind the door all the way, writes a note, crumples it into a ball, and hurls it at the armed and dangerous Deaf driver he's pulled over to read. Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I'm actually laughing out loud at this right now. :laugh2:

I just had this great mental image of a cop with his gun drawn, crouching behind his open door for cover. Then he ducks down behind the door all the way, writes a note, crumples it into a ball, and hurls it at the armed and dangerous Deaf driver he's pulled over to read. Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I'm actually laughing out loud at this right now. :laugh2:

I had the same picture when I read previous message. :laugh2:

After reading your message again, another thought occurred to me. How would cop hold a gun and write a note at same time? :hmm:

I'm super paranoid of getting pulled over and dealing with cops. I got pulled over years ago, but talked my way out of that speeding ticket (Was going through town well over 10 miles per hour over).

My knees are bad, but I can walk over 20 feet as long as I'm not carrying anything and I don't need to run, I haven't been able to run in several years. My point being, I don't need HC plates yet and hope I never do because I hold it as an axiom that people who park in HC spots never seem to actually park IN the space (Worst parking jobs ever).

Maybe if I ever get HI plates, they won't shoot me for 'flashing gang signs'. lol

Honestly, I have no idea what documentation I'd even need for that plate, let alone having HI on my license. I would assume a copy of my last hearing test would suffice, but it's the government we're talking about so fat chance of it being that straight forward.

HAHAHA.. :giggle::laugh2::lol::hmm:

That was extremely funny to picture

After reading your message again, another thought occurred to me. How would cop hold a gun and write a note at same time? :hmm:

His partner would write the note or hold the gun? Maybe the cop is the liquid terminator and just gave himself more hands? I don't know. :P

Back