Vision loss and reading credit card #s?

DeafDucky

Reaction score
For anyone with vision issues (blind, low vision, vision-impaired etc...) have a question. When you need to get your credit card number for say purchasing something online, how can one read or see the numbers on the card easily enough?

As you know my vision sucks. I have a credit card where the bank issued it with a mostly mid gray background and white stripes, numbers are in silver and embossed. Tactile could work but they're small and I am not good with that anyway lol.
I know somewhere in the past someone suggested an overlay of a different color but I don't think that will work because these do have a slot or hole for the numbers and the background will still be the same as the original card. Too bad my bank doesn't offer other designs (at least for the accounts I have) that are different colors. I miss the old cards I had in blue or red...

Think that's it... I tried to post earlier but my wifi dropped again (seems I may need a new router....) and only half my post was saved lol.

Thanks!

Try putting a piece of paper over it then run the side of the lead of a pencil across it till the numbers "show"?

First thing I tried was the pencil/paper trick. Didn't work as well as I'd hope. I also tried scanning it- not much better lol but should do that anyway in case of if it's ever physically stolen or lost.

Interestingly, I used to have my CC# memorized. I haven't really memorized this one as it's a recent new number because of somebody nicking my number for fraud and stuck me with international fees to boot hmph.

Thanks LB and Botts :) I'll think of something.

First thing I tried was the pencil/paper trick. Didn't work as well as I'd hope. I also tried scanning it- not much better lol but should do that anyway in case of if it's ever physically stolen or lost.

Interestingly, I used to have my CC# memorized. I haven't really memorized this one as it's a recent new number because of somebody nicking my number for fraud and stuck me with international fees to boot hmph.

Thanks LB and Botts :) I'll think of something.

What about a combination of the pencil & paper and scan ideas? Use the pencil & paper to make it dark and then scan that to keep from dealing with reflections from the shiny card?

There's a solution to it which I do mine. I find a fine sandpaper and a block to wrap around or finger file and sand it on top of all the raised print lightly until it become white. The print will turn to bright white and really stand out. I don't know if white will help you better with poor vision. Also be careful not to sand over the copper area (the chip reader)

Can you write it down in large print and save it somewhere? You don't have to write down that it's your cc number. I used to do a trick where I'd put dashes in the wrong place to make it look like a list of phone numbers.

If u got tablet, smartphone, whatever you call it that comes in with camera, snap shot the cc then blow it up, viola! Large font popped up.

Too bad it doesnt come in with braille.

I can't read braille anyway lol.

I'm hesitant to put it on the cell phone if somebody steals that but then again the back wouldn't be on there too. Hmm. AlleyCat's idea I may do instead- put it in my contacts as a phone number or something. Already used that idea for something else...since I always have my phone with me 99% of the time lol.

The sandpaper idea is an interesting one- might look into that one.

Not sure if the pencil/pen and Copy trick will work but may try it. Oops I meant copy (like copy machine) not scan in my OP.

what about a dymo label with the numbers and put that on the card itself? (if that would be large enough ?)

Just don't put the dymo label near the electronic swipe strip or it will come off/make the card not read in machines

I can read CC without problem but sometime, it can be hard for people with vision problem, especially acuity.

Try to read on back of CC or you could print the credit card statement that may contain full number or ask bank to print.

If u got tablet, smartphone, whatever you call it that comes in with camera, snap shot the cc then blow it up, viola! Large font popped up.

Too bad it doesnt come in with braille.

The numbers on CC has tactile that you can feel but I can't understand. :(

CC#0.JPG CC#1.JPG CC#2.JPG
Ok my iphone is ALIVE!! Now that I can take pix..... Ok here's first pix with with fingernail file, just sand it lightly. Second pix show the result between the original (number 53) and the 1312. See the differences. Now 3rd pix, is which with like normal eye sight, which one you can read it clear? Number 53 or 1312?

Taking pictures of the CC is not a safe way to store it. If you lost a phone, or wifi hacked and some can mistakenly send a wrong picture. Copy the numbers to piece of paper in a large print and leave it at home would be fine or what I did above.

I think what is implied but not outright said about the photos is that it is used as a method to get the number correct to start with. Then record it elsewhere but not keep the photo on the phone.

Also, by the way, don't any of you have digital cameras other than what is in your phone? I have had a digital version of an SLR camera for years and have never taken a photo with my cell phone.

I can't read braille anyway lol.

I'm hesitant to put it on the cell phone if somebody steals that but then again the back wouldn't be on there too. Hmm. AlleyCat's idea I may do instead- put it in my contacts as a phone number or something. Already used that idea for something else...since I always have my phone with me 99% of the time lol.

The sandpaper idea is an interesting one- might look into that one.

Not sure if the pencil/pen and Copy trick will work but may try it. Oops I meant copy (like copy machine) not scan in my OP.

Yep, understood the security concerns, don't take pix of both sides on CC, in order to be able to steal #, need both CC# and CVS 3 and both are on different sides.

Lastly, most CC offers $0 liability protection in event of somebody stealing CC#, that exceeded the minimum federal law which limits liability to $50 so there shouldn't be concern. Keep your SSN in safe place and never photo them on digital that has access to the net.

Taking pictures of the CC is not a safe way to store it. If you lost a phone, or wifi hacked and some can mistakenly send a wrong picture. Copy the numbers to piece of paper in a large print and leave it at home would be fine or what I did above.
Understood perfectly, but don't forget most CC will waive most, but usually ALL of the liabilities on you in the event it was stolen. Banks are now very good at it and will swallow the losses, not you and they will chase down criminals, not you.

View attachment 22904 View attachment 22905 View attachment 22906
Ok my iphone is ALIVE!! Now that I can take pix..... Ok here's first pix with with fingernail file, just sand it lightly. Second pix show the result between the original (number 53) and the 1312. See the differences. Now 3rd pix, is which with like normal eye sight, which one you can read it clear? Number 53 or 1312?

lol :applause: for the phone being alive :)

I can see 1312 one MUCH easier. When I have a chance to I'll show what my card looks like (part of it anyway).

Jane B said:
Also, by the way, don't any of you have digital cameras other than what is in your phone? I have had a digital version of an SLR camera for years and have never taken a photo with my cell phone.

Yes I have a digital point n shoot camera (can't afford a SLR or DSLR one just yet) but in general it is much easier to use the phone camera for quick and dirty photos plus I use the phone camera (and iPad's sometimes) to send RX scans to my pharmacy. With my camera I use that for vacation time or pics where I actually have time to do whatever I want. Not only that... It's easier to upload from the phone to social media when you are out and about and to my PC. I still have photos on my camera's SIM card from NOVEMBER I have yet to upload to my PC and some I want to post to FaceBook... Yes I'm lazy. There I said it! :lol:

Back