Video Card & PSU "12V Rails" mean?

True, I left gaming PC desktop (750 watts) for 24/7 but VERY tiny impact on electricity bill.

I was living with parent's house. It was $50 to $100 electric bill monthly. I hate parent's rules. They bothered me due play games. I moved out myself. lol

750w power supplys dont draw 750w constantly thats just its peak, while idling they will draw only a fraction of that.

you show me URL they had 100.4a, other 28a but you said 20a, you read wiki new 2012 is new technology more than 20a

100 amp for HDD/SSD/dvd burner? Oh my lord!

No, It's for video card only. Again, max 20 amp for hdd/SSD/and blu-ray/dvdburner only, that's what rail for.

you want buy new PSU 1000 watt? 1200 watt? you want 1600 watt?? you don't know... you will get bills electic MORE!!! MORE 1!! $$$$$$$$ forget it ... I had ITX with 80 watt, cheap bills!! lol...

It doesn't matter about bill electric as computer is idle or not use GPU power as game and CAD.

750w power supplys dont draw 750w constantly thats just its peak, while idling they will draw only a fraction of that.

I am 100% agreed with you.

And CAREFUL... if had 1000 to up watter, Do not use outlet, only one alone plug to wall plate... warning limit 15amp on wall page!!! ..if 16 amp or more electic will shut from fuse control!!!

I can't buy any 750 watter or more... crazy

I must 500 watt or less becuase I had four computer, one HTPC upsatir, I not use
3 computer, 470 watt + 350 watt + 80 watt = 900 watt plus router, docsis, switch 1000, camera, printer, more amp around 1000+ amp!!
I hate bills!!

3 computer for I work and leran server
1 htpc for relex

And CAREFUL... if had 1000 to up watter, Do not use outlet, only one alone plug to wall plate... warning limit 15amp on wall page!!! ..if 16 amp or more electic will shut from fuse control!!!

Watt has nothing with amp. Amp is measure of electrical current. PSU use regular electrical plug like other common applications as electrical code required so. Watt measures how much power an electrical device can consume in order to work. For example, 100 watts light bulb can consume power five times than 20 watts light bulb, more brighter and hotter.

A fuse can be blew if it can't handle amount of amps used by an application or run all applications in a kitchen at once. It's like if you try to plug an 240 V electrical range to 120 V outlet, end up got a fuse blow up.

However, fuses can be upgraded to handle more amps with help of a professional electrician.

What Makes a Fuse Blow?

Many electronics use type of power supply called switch mode power supply. Mobile phones and laptops use those.

My god... if you want saving money. I suggest you install ENGERY STAR LIGHT BULBS. avoid old-fashion standard light bulbs can eat your bill up
all-about-energy-saving-candle-bulbs-4ed87736ade54.jpg

or... your PSU is not "Gold 80 plus" label mean saving your money on your electrical bill.
attachment.php

Attachments

• PSU.JPG
    PSU.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 28
IT IS 15 AMP, ONLY PLUG ONE TO WALL PLATE NOT USE OUTLET or SURGE PROTECTOR

if you say no matter, you get risk up to you, I not help you sorry yourself go 1200 watt on outlet

whoa whoa whoa, you are completely wrong. every psu had a PFC. pfc mean power factor correction. it is a effective saving bills and second, some power surge is effecive worth saving. and for bulbs. if you really want a best effective saving for your bills. i would recommend a smart energy saving at 30 to 45 watts and for if you want a expensive best bulds. i would choose LEDS bulbs. they're 5-8 watts around. thats huge saving bills. my custom pc had a 750 watts. and it use a 40 to 80 watts. understand this. power supply is ampify to get more power like 500 to 1000 watts. thats no big deal. lmao! i cant believe some deafs like you to pretend you know everythings about psu. i recommend you to go learn in school again.

Wirelessly posted

Zeroblazer21's right. I have torn apart few tossed-out PC PSUs in the past. Those are switchmode power supply. For 1kW, only 12 Amps is drawn, largely due to the resistance and reactance of both the transformer and MOSFET (or IGBT), which at 45 to 255 kilohertzs, determines the PSU's overall efficiency. PFC in newer PSU, do better jobs by presenting the resistance load to the 110 volts wall outlet, taking reactance out of equation - drawing much less power in return. What he meant "amplify" is the co-efficiency of the reactance currents (10s of Amps at lower voltage), in which the main load transformer just behaves like an inductor. Therefore, always read the PSU labels carefully. 350 Watts PSU will just release the magic smokes when used with powerful video cards requiring 450 watts. That's it, period.

Wirelessly posted

AHA! I forgot to add one more thing. The Active PFC PSU (Gold Certified or better) do support auto-throttle. In some rather expensive PSU, the mains switching transistor driving the main load transformer is also linked to a microcontroller (be it your favorite Microchip PIC18 or the capable ARM Cortex M3), controlling the way PSU draw the power, basing the Discontinuous Mode PWM architecture implemented in the firmware, on the current consumed by the load, like our precious computers - basically calculating the PWM on-time required, from measuring the few hundred millivolts from the current sense resistors at the DC rails.

whoa whoa whoa, you are completely wrong. every psu had a PFC. pfc mean power factor correction. it is a effective saving bills and second, some power surge is effecive worth saving. and for bulbs. if you really want a best effective saving for your bills. i would recommend a smart energy saving at 30 to 45 watts and for if you want a expensive best bulds. i would choose LEDS bulbs. they're 5-8 watts around. thats huge saving bills. my custom pc had a 750 watts. and it use a 40 to 80 watts. understand this. power supply is ampify to get more power like 500 to 1000 watts. thats no big deal. lmao! i cant believe some deafs like you to pretend you know everythings about psu. i recommend you to go learn in school again.

In bold, not just for deaf people only, also it does applies to some hearing people who don't know about PSU.

rhr's statement is completely utter bullshit since 2005.

Wirelessly posted

Bravo! Well said, Foxrac. I had to also explain few incredibly simple things to few of both the deaf and the hearing peoples, they just stiffen up like an ironing board after seeing or hearing what I gotta tell them. And I bet what rhr is COMPLETELY UNAWARE of, the appliance I know of, and use daily, draws LOT OF AMPERE. Ta-Da! A electric stove! Turning everything on it on will draw up to 50 Amps.

Question me

if I buy PSU 750 Watt in computer

I use Super 3D game or business run high watt 750 watt
when I finish it, quit 3D back to desktop, 750 will down to 300 watt ?? Is it true?

I wish Automatic Swtich between two PSU 300 watt and 750 watt in one? like meter usage up and down watt for save bills ??

all PSU had automatic swtich high and low? It is true?

I remember I bought AT PSU (not ATX) long time ago... I saw label show me, have 150 watt and 300 watt like Graph 0..50...100% with watt long long time ago

you not understand, 30-60 amp for multi plate share in house

some old and new between 30 amp and 60 amp

if PSU 750 watt or more on one plate wall..another near plate wall that use Vacuum cleaner then fuse will be off... computer is lose!
becuase control fuse limit between 3 and 6 plate wall per between 30-60 watt for some old or new house

Wirelessly posted

Bravo! Well said, Foxrac. I had to also explain few incredibly simple things to few of both the deaf and the hearing peoples, they just stiffen up like an ironing board after seeing or hearing what I gotta tell them. And I bet what rhr is COMPLETELY UNAWARE of, the appliance I know of, and use daily, draws LOT OF AMPERE. Ta-Da! A electric stove! Turning everything on it on will draw up to 50 Amps.

you not understand, 30-60 amp for multi plate share in house

some old and new between 30 amp and 60 amp

if PSU 750 watt or more on one plate wall..another near plate wall that use Vacuum cleaner then fuse will be off... computer is lose!
becuase control fuse limit between 3 and 6 plate wall per between 30-60 watt for some old or new house

you're completely wrong!. that's different. psu is able to amplify. in short it is kinda of generator that produce more power. and it just use plug for a small watts. its smart how they made a psu. that's why you're panicking about how high in watts omg. i feel like...I'm talking to a elementary kid right now.

In bold, not just for deaf people only, also it does applies to some hearing people who don't know about PSU.

rhr's statement is completely utter bullshit since 2005.

yeah. rhr's statement is like a elementary kids level at same time panicking :p

Why it was so hard to understand what Ausrider mean? Do you know what peak mean?

Question me

if I buy PSU 750 Watt in computer

I use Super 3D game or business run high watt 750 watt
when I finish it, quit 3D back to desktop, 750 will down to 300 watt ?? Is it true?

I wish Automatic Swtich between two PSU 300 watt and 750 watt in one? like meter usage up and down watt for save bills ??

all PSU had automatic swtich high and low? It is true?

I remember I bought AT PSU (not ATX) long time ago... I saw label show me, have 150 watt and 300 watt like Graph 0..50...100% with watt long long time ago

No. It's all depends what hardware you have. Let said GTX 460, ATX Mobo, Intel Quad cores, 4GB DDR3 ram, and single hard drive then they are around 400watts. and it won't go up to 750 watts as PSU label.

Don't matter, The motherboard's chipset take care of CPU/GPU to take underclock as idle which they will drop watts to low (from 450 watts to 200 watts or less)

powersf.png

This is idle and my CPU got underclock to 1.99 Ghz and 2.6 watts

power1.png

This is open game (Fallout 3) and CPU went up to 2.3Ghz and 6.8 watts. My Quad cores still powerful enough for Fallout 3 and don't need go up to 2.6Ghz.

Back