Video Calls in the Car?

deafbajagal

Reaction score
First, don't pass judgement me and preach to me about safety or the law. I don't want to hear it.

I want the capability to make calls while in the car. I'm thinking i-Pad2 (or any tablet) with velcro or something to be able to put it on the dashboard, and using some kind of program (ZVRS?) to make direct VP calls or use the relay. Will this work? I don't know.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

you might use a cellular hot spot (cellular to WIFI) with an iPad. Or get an iPad with cellular built in. I don't know what the quality would be like though. I might get a chance to try this out in a month.

I always make call via siprelay from AIM. If you had video phone in car, police may notice and ticket you.

Not saying that video phones are not allowed in cars, but polices usually don't understand Deaf Culture or hearing assistance devices. Try explaining to police if you get ticketed for using video phone in car.

One issue with 3G/3.5G, both with UMTS/CDMA or HSPA is that a lot of the service is capped or slow on upload speeds depending on coverage. I'm not sure how well ZVRS/Purple works when you are in a moving vehicle, have you tried it before?
Also no clue how ZVRS works on Ipad 3G. Never saw someone not using the wifi on it, maybe someone can provide input.

You can wait until 4G LTE is fully rolled out and you will receive blazing fast speeds on mobile.

There's still another option out there I can think of, although it's not exactly cheap. You can just use whatever notebook you have and get a police laptop dock:
police-laptop-mounts.jpg

Get Verizon NationalAccess / Mobile Broadband: ($60ish a month for 1400kbps download/500-800kbps upload) Data Services: Mobile Broadband

a20791f1313f260cbd8c7f_m.jpg

With this, you get a laptop and mobile connection in a car to do anything. Provided you are in a large area where NationalAccess coverage is strong.
This may actually be a better idea if you already own a laptop: You only pay for the monthly service, some are already offered in 4g which is probably better in terms of overall service quality vs 3G on ipad.

You can use videophone if you're simple stop on the far side of road and make the call.

I use my HTC thunderbolt and make VP calls all the time. I just place it on dashboard and chat as I go. I've had relay operators close their eyes with hand in disbelief that I was chatting as I drove. I said hearing ppl have Bluetooth .. this is deaf version wink

So until the invention of VP glasses and gloves come, as long as im not holding the phone I dont see any laws broken.

There is another way but it is in the future... maybe 10-20 years?

Wait until they make transparent touchscreen LCD glass for windshield. You can sign and drive same time, no problem
Samsungs-Worlds-First-Transparent-LCD-Display_thumb.jpg

iPad / iphone FaceTime work for this. Others tell me...I drive hands 10 and 2...eyes forward...seat belt on...no higher speed limit...every time. Yep yep.

I've done chatting my friend on cellular videophone (HTC EVO) while I was driving (I had good 4G signal in that area and it was truely a wonder while I drove 45mph on Parkway). My friend think I'm really nut.

Seriously, we all deafie fallen through loophole of the law (No texting while driving and some state No Cell calls while driving). I sure hope that we don't abuse it and get involve accident because of videochatting while driving forcing State to create brand new strange No Videochat whle driving law that Hearing people never heard of!!!. I am planning to buy dashboard or windshield mount so I can easily videochat with my friend. I do that briefly (I need it for my GPS on phone).

I DO pull over or park my vehicle and call VRS or friends through Cellular VP often. I don't want to juggle driving and chatting while on BUSY highway!!! Yike! :eek2:

I would videochat while on long lonely highway IF there are 4G signal along the way but watch for deers :lol: (I admit it's safer to chat that way because dashboard mount and I can easily see road and VP. in front of me without interference.)

Just use your COMMON SENSE while driving PLEASE!!! I don't want your friends or VRS operator to watch your specular vehicle accident on Cellular VP while you drive. (watching airbag pops and your face digs hard into airbag and your arms flail forward to dashboard, background of you shown road with yellow marker zipping going up on side of car window with spark flying, glass flying around along with your stuff. After that seeing you with bloody face and arm and twisted metals and broken glass all over the place. Your friend or VP Operator would be helpless but to watch you suffer.) It sucks to be like one. :eek3: Careful!!!

Catty

Back