Vicky gets activated...

Daredevel7

Adrenaline Junky
Premium Member
Reaction score
So my activation day came on December 18th (yesterday). Just in case, here is a little background story of my deafness. I was born profoundly deaf (90+ dB loss both ears) and wore hearing aids since I was 18 months old.

My mom and a good friend came with me. It was strange when the audiologist put the magnet on me, its sort of an official realization "wow I really do have a magnet in my skull!". The aud. started off with a sweep of the channels doing pulses, so the first thing I "heard" was pulses. Look, I'm 26 years old, can take a lot, not girly AT ALL, and the sensation of "hearing" those pulses were so surreal, offbase, and so not what I expected. It's a very surprising feeling. Almost as if my head was throbbing along with the pulses (without any pain). My hands started shaking and I was tearing up, not really out of joy or anything like that, but just sheer confusion and from being overwhelmed. Of course, I tried to play it cool (can't lose my bad ass reputation! :) ) , blinkin away any swelling up in my eyes, and said "oh hey I can hear pulses...cool". It's a very strange feeling because I keep expecting to HEAR, but I don't feel that I hear sounds, it seems that I FEEL the sounds. I am at a VERY low volume due to my degree of deafness and the fact I've never really used much of my auditory nerve. So this week is more about stimulating my auditory nerve rather than hearing. And it is so true. The auditory put in 7 programs in my CI. Each program is one volume level higher, so that if I get comfortable with this level, I can press a button on the CI to go to the next level. So yesterday I started off with level 1, and even though I had an overwhelmed feeling initially, I got used to it and comfortable after only 3-4 hours. However, everytime I put it a higher level, the cycle starts over again. I am at level 3 now (after less than 24 hours, not bad) but I am still getting used to it. However, by now it's obvious that I am aware of more sounds even though its still at such a low volume. That is pretty exciting.

I can see why some people get so overwhelmed upon getting the CI, it DEFINITELY isn't some easy miracle. It's a process and you have to keep at it. I've wanted to put on my hearing aid several times because at this point, I hear way more with the hearing aid than the CI.

They gave me a journal to write in about what I hear, etc., and I thought "That's so lame!". I'm eating my own words, cuz I am so doing that.. :D

So my activation day came on December 18th (yesterday). Just in case, here is a little background story of my deafness. I was born profoundly deaf (90+ dB loss both ears) and wore hearing aids since I was 18 months old.

My mom and a good friend came with me. It was strange when the audiologist put the magnet on me, its sort of an official realization "wow I really do have a magnet in my skull!". The aud. started off with a sweep of the channels doing pulses, so the first thing I "heard" was pulses. Look, I'm 26 years old, can take a lot, not girly AT ALL, and the sensation of "hearing" those pulses were so surreal, offbase, and so not what I expected. It's a very surprising feeling. Almost as if my head was throbbing along with the pulses (without any pain). My hands started shaking and I was tearing up, not really out of joy or anything like that, but just sheer confusion and from being overwhelmed. Of course, I tried to play it cool (can't lose my bad ass reputation! :) ) , blinkin away any swelling up in my eyes, and said "oh hey I can hear pulses...cool". It's a very strange feeling because I keep expecting to HEAR, but I don't feel that I hear sounds, it seems that I FEEL the sounds. I am at a VERY low volume due to my degree of deafness and the fact I've never really used much of my auditory nerve. So this week is more about stimulating my auditory nerve rather than hearing. And it is so true. The auditory put in 7 programs in my CI. Each program is one volume level higher, so that if I get comfortable with this level, I can press a button on the CI to go to the next level. So yesterday I started off with level 1, and even though I had an overwhelmed feeling initially, I got used to it and comfortable after only 3-4 hours. However, everytime I put it a higher level, the cycle starts over again. I am at level 3 now (after less than 24 hours, not bad) but I am still getting used to it. However, by now it's obvious that I am aware of more sounds even though its still at such a low volume. That is pretty exciting.

I can see why some people get so overwhelmed upon getting the CI, it DEFINITELY isn't some easy miracle. It's a process and you have to keep at it. I've wanted to put on my hearing aid several times because at this point, I hear way more with the hearing aid than the CI.

They gave me a journal to write in about what I hear, etc., and I thought "That's so lame!". I'm eating my own words, cuz I am so doing that.. :D

Awesome Vicky! We were activated on the same day. Happy sounds!!

Well done Vicky, we are in same boat, i was born profound deaf, aided all my life then CI at 30... big big difference, I can assure what you described is excatly like what i have been through, Hang there...

Well done again.

That is wonderful! I'm sure as the days go on things will get better and more exciting, and hopefully less overwhelming. Keep us posted on how things go !! :D

vicky,

congrats on your activation! :)

writing a ci journal will be one of the best things you can do for yourself. my former ci audi recommend that i write one and i'm so glad i did.

keep enjoying your new world of sound! :)

Hey there....long time no see! Congrats and good luck with everything!

I will be very interested to learn of your progress!

What brand did you go with?

I went with Nucleus Freedom. Seems pretty good! I wanted the disposable batteries because I travel a lot and sometimes to places where power outlets are not available. (Oh Africa how I heart thee.)

And everyone, thanks for the support!! :D

I am actually adjusting to the "overstimulation" of the auditory nerve fairly quickly! Went to a friend's house, and my heart jumped because her dogs started randomly barking at some invisible ghost or something. Talk about OVERSTIMULATION! I say overstimulated instead of being loud because that's how it feels right now. Next mapping is actually Christmas Eve! I thought it was so nice for the audiologist to make the time to see me because I go back to Alabama the Sunday after Christmas. I took a LOT of time off already and did not want to use any more vacation days. Can't wait for the next mapping because I dunno, I feel like it's sort of a challenge now. A challenge with hopefully amazing rewards. :) Sorry that I am not updating frequently but it is the holidays after all! Gotta spend time with the family. (psst... Merry Christmas to everyone!) :D

You said you had 7 programs put in your CI, and you have the Nucleus Freedom. A NF CI speech processor holds only 4 programs. Were you given two CIs for your one ear, and did you mean to say that the audiologist put the first 4 programs on 1 CI speech processor, and the next 3 programs on the 2nd CI speech processor? (I was implanted in my left ear, and I was given 2 CI and speech processors for that ear.) I'm trying to understand here.

You said you had 7 programs put in your CI, and you have the Nucleus Freedom. A NF CI speech processor holds only 4 programs. Were you given two CIs for your one ear, and did you mean to say that the audiologist put the first 4 programs on 1 CI speech processor, and the next 3 programs on the 2nd CI speech processor? (I was implanted in my left ear, and I was given 2 CI and speech processors for that ear.) I'm trying to understand here.

That is correct. They gave me 2 CI processors. P4 in the first processer is the same as P1 in the 2nd processer because they wanted a buffer. So thats 7 programs overall.

I had the 2nd mapping, and they only gave me 4 more programs for increasing the "volume", so I am close to the threshold in terms of volume. My next mapping will deal with the sensitivity. I look forward to that. I've had a few CI moments (such as being able to hear the specific different notes in a piano, not talking about stand alone notes, talkin about overlapping notes and cooked soft rice being dropped in tupperware by my mom while I was 10 feet away, wtf??). My old speech therapist came over and gave me a simple program/game that tested my hearing. It would give me 3 choices, and I have to pick one of them based on what sound I hear. For example, one of them was ma, fa, ta. With the CI, after figuring out which sound is which, I could easily tell. With the hearing aid, it wasn't as easy even though it was MUCH louder than the CI. Those games make the benefits of the CI more obvious. It's hard to tell how much you are benefitting from the CI from everyday hearing, because the progression is too slow to be obvious on a day by day basis. I've only had it for exactly 8 days. Although I will go to an auditoral-verbal therapist at some point, my old speech therapist gave me things to do to give myself therapy to speed up the adjustment process, such as reading outloud to yourself, listening to some simple tracks she gave me, retest myself using those games I mentioned, and so on. After New Years, I will start doing them everyday. :D

Nice progress.

I am a little jealous that everyone on here seems to be getting a lot of communication and follow ups with their audiologists. When I go back in after New Years, I am NOT leaving until she spends at least half a hour mapping the thing! I am beginning to think I have a lazy audiologist.

Nice progress.

I am a little jealous that everyone on here seems to be getting a lot of communication and follow ups with their audiologists. When I go back in after New Years, I am NOT leaving until she spends at least half a hour mapping the thing! I am beginning to think I have a lazy audiologist.
I think the main reason Daredevel7 has two processors set to different levels is because she lives in a different state. It is harder for her to travel all that distance and take time off work. Once her hearing has progressed to a certain point, I imagine both processors will have the same settings, as mine will have.
While I do think your audi has not spent enough time with you, that could be his/her approach for someone that has not been hearing for a long time. It gives you a chance to adjust to raw sound before fine tuning. IDK, but I can ask my audi on the 8th when I go back for my first "real" mapping.
I am up to P4 but had to adjust the S level as my hubby's TV was driving me crazy and drowning out my own TV in the next room.

I think my audiologist wanted to me progress as much as I could without giving me too much, hence the 7 programs so I can increase to the next level without waiting for the next mapping. I am going back to Alabama today, and will continue the mapping in Birmingham. Hopefully the change of audiologist will not interfere with anything. I am up to P3 today, but technically its really P10? Since I had 7 levels last week, then I got 4 new programs or "levels" in the 2nd mapping. What do I call this level? P3 or P10? Is this a common thing? The audiologist said that most likely, after I reach P4 (P11?), I will not need to increase the volume anymore.

I don't think P3 or P10 mean much as once the volume and your hearing settles and is used to the stimulation, the programs would be like, one normal, one ADRO, one Auto sensitvity, One for music, one for every day etc that kind of thing.
i guess in few months they will set your other processor same as your usual processor so you would have one as spare just in case one breaks. You are lucky to have 2 processor for one ear as i am only allowed one!! ;-( it would be great to have a spare one without worrying about making appointment for another visit to audi. I have been back and fro from audi alot since switch on which is good sign as my ear is used to the implant quite quickly. At 4 and a bit month and 47 maps later, i think it had started to level out loudness wise as i haven't used my louder program yet. I have P1 Normal, P2 ADRO P3 is ADRO + Audio sensitvity and P4 is louder of P2, I am currently using P2 as i prefer it to P1 but don't like any of it! It sounds flat so i guess a trip to Audi is needed!

An update:

I just had my 3rd mapping in Birmingham yesterday. I'm pretty happy with the results of the mapping. Before, the voices sounded too low for me, and now it seems much louder! We did a mini sound test comparing the program I had before to the program I have now. My audiogram before was similar to the hearing aid (30-40db range) and now I can "hear" within the normal range across most frequencies for a hearing person (~15-20db+). I thought I could hear a lot already and they just needed to adjust the loudness. Man I was wrong, evidently there's a lot more for me to hear! And we haven't even done the sensitivity part yet! Right now Im hearing the computer hum. I thought my CI was just too sensitive and was just making a constant white noise but I pulled myself closer to the computer and bam whammo. It was the dang computer! I'm excited!!!

Well, not so much anymore, since I am at work. Working from a cubicle... so I hear a lot of the surroundings...why do people TALK ALL DAY?! AND THIS EARLY?!

An update:

I just had my 3rd mapping in Birmingham yesterday. I'm pretty happy with the results of the mapping. Before, the voices sounded too low for me, and now it seems much louder! We did a mini sound test comparing the program I had before to the program I have now. My audiogram before was similar to the hearing aid (30-40db range) and now I can "hear" within the normal range across most frequencies for a hearing person (~15-20db+). I thought I could hear a lot already and they just needed to adjust the loudness. Man I was wrong, evidently there's a lot more for me to hear! And we haven't even done the sensitivity part yet! Right now Im hearing the computer hum. I thought my CI was just too sensitive and was just making a constant white noise but I pulled myself closer to the computer and bam whammo. It was the dang computer! I'm excited!!!

Well, not so much anymore, since I am at work. Working from a cubicle... so I hear a lot of the surroundings...why do people TALK ALL DAY?! AND THIS EARLY?![/QUOTE]

I've often wondered the same thing!:lol:

Great to know that you are progressing so quickly.

Back