VERIZON smartphone suggestions? And ? about data plan

Reaction score
I'm currently with sprint, unfortunately the area I am moving to is only Verizon or At&t. I have choosen Verizon due to their more widespread range out in the county. Vs. At&t Yes I'm talking about the big move from a suburbs that has everything near a major city in the US to middle-of-no-where area. Yikes. Family members that live in the area I will move to are on verizon and alot are using smartphones so its not an issue.

I loved my HTC evo 3D with sprint along with super cheap deaf plan. I was only paying 43 after taxes a month for unlimited everything but voice plan (obviously I wont need a voice plan) I have been looking at the HTC DNA with Verizon (was looking at best buy for the feel of the phones) and it feels so light and cheap not like my evo 3D. I cannot get used to the feel of the cheapness yet for most of the phones I looked at. Very overwhelmed in the selections nowadays.

I'm asking people who has Verizon which phones handled VP the best and might be a dumb question but if I use an app for VP on the phone do I get charged phone minutes or charged data plan? I'm not used to the idea of limited data plans it sounds scary for a sprint user that never paid attention to their data useage to move to another company that has a cap on data plans before charging arm and leg.

Unfortunately, Sprint is the only carrier that offers unlimited plan. No other providers offers that. I have had Verizon for over a year already, and the coverage is CHAMP! I wouldn't recommend what I have but since the last major OS upgrade my Thunderbolt seems to behave much better. Guess it is OS issues after all. I got 4GB for 2GB plan when they were on sale, I locked that deal and it comes together 65 a month which is not too bad. I have not reach 1GB at all, and I don't use VP much.

The trick to manage usage is using free WiFi. HTC has two options, using carrier wireless or any WiFi connections. Most restaurants, stores, even hospital offers free WiFi so it won't impact the carrier wireless usage much.

And yes mine is on Data only plan. I am not sure where you are but most reps had no idea of Deaf plan. I was in "NTID Territory" I walked in and talked with reps who happens to be store manager, he knew what (Deaf plan) I am talking about. Back then I used to work for Sorenson, I explained to him about the Videophone and he said ohhh now I got it, no wonder why I was confused with so many Deafies. So, got me decent deal.

Even though Sprint offers unlimited plan, I STILL prefer Verizon because I almost never had issue with connection. Once had issue is when I was in very deep mountains and way into the heart of forest and I happen to be in the valley, that is when I got disconnected. Very reasonable! My wife and my friend uses Sprint Network, they kept borrowing mine!

So, if you are living around mountains, Verizon rocks!

I'm currently with sprint, unfortunately the area I am moving to is only Verizon or At&t. I have choosen Verizon due to their more widespread range out in the county. Vs. At&t Yes I'm talking about the big move from a suburbs that has everything near a major city in the US to middle-of-no-where area. Yikes. Family members that live in the area I will move to are on verizon and alot are using smartphones so its not an issue.

I loved my HTC evo 3D with sprint along with super cheap deaf plan. I was only paying 43 after taxes a month for unlimited everything but voice plan (obviously I wont need a voice plan) I have been looking at the HTC DNA with Verizon (was looking at best buy for the feel of the phones) and it feels so light and cheap not like my evo 3D. I cannot get used to the feel of the cheapness yet for most of the phones I looked at. Very overwhelmed in the selections nowadays.

I'm asking people who has Verizon which phones handled VP the best and might be a dumb question but if I use an app for VP on the phone do I get charged phone minutes or charged data plan? I'm not used to the idea of limited data plans it sounds scary for a sprint user that never paid attention to their data useage to move to another company that has a cap on data plans before charging arm and leg.

I cannot help with VP as I do not use it.

But . . . as you are going to a Verizon area you might want to look at PagePlus which is a MVNO that uses Verizon towers. They offer better rates there is no extra charge to use a smartphone. You can buy a phone through them, or bring any Verizon 3G phone the was on Verizon's postpaid service (phone's from Verizon's prepaid division are banned) the other thing that you cannot use without a lot of work are 4G phones. https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

Another place to learn a lot about PagePlus is a certain dealer's forum Kitty Forums

I have NO connection to PagePlus or Kitty Wireless other than being a very satisfied customer of both.

Welcome to the country

thanks im more confident now on my decision with verizon. :) both of your feedback was appericated

now the hard choice of picking which smartphone not just htc dna as i would like to keep my mind open and which vp app to use thank you !

any suggestion besides htc dna on verizon to look at

If you're deaf, get deaf plan at Verizon. You'll get 2GB cap with discount.

I have iPhone 5 with Verizon plan and I'm happy with it. It has ZVRS, P3 (I believe), and Sorenson apps.

It is tough to decide which device. Two issues that VRS providers had to deal with when it comes to mobile VP, First one is since we are small customer base for them and develop apps for each device costs them $, secondly technology changes all the times making it harder for VRS providers to catch up the trends and any OS upgrades. Not all smartphone were designed same, not even coding the same. That is the problem.

I used to work inside VRS provider and I know some on how they runs, and believe other VRS providers deals with same issues. So, no guarantee if it works today, then it quit working tomorrow due to wireless carrier decided to upgrade OS on smartphones which might cause VRS software to become incompatible. I have seen it happened especially blackberry.

This is basically the reason why I love stand alone VRS equipment so only one company can deal with it exclusively to prevent any problems in future. For example VP-200, NTVP, SVP, Z20, whatever is out there.

Like I said earlier when I bought Thunderbolt, I have too many problems with it and complained to Verizon had to replaced it three times. As soon as they upgraded OS (About a month ago), I had issues with VP but other issues that I had were finally solved. I just wait and ride out until VRS provider figured out and fix it. They did so now it is alright.

So, no promises in long term :(

thanks im more confident now on my decision with verizon. :) both of your feedback was appericated

now the hard choice of picking which smartphone not just htc dna as i would like to keep my mind open and which vp app to use thank you !

any suggestion besides htc dna on verizon to look at

I'm satisfied with the iPhone on Verizon. It has been great for the past two years.

Back