Verizon plans

cdmeggers

Reaction score
I'm debating switching from T-Mobile to Verizon in May when my T-mob contract is up. I'm still happy with T-Mobile, have no serious issues with them. Customer service has been great for me, and I'm extremely happy with just the Data only plan at $29.99 a month. But the thing is, Wyoming is not a T-Mobile state (no T-mobile retailers in Wyoming), so I have to use online chat tech support if I have problems with my sidekick (just recently they had to send me a new SIM card via UPS since I couldn't just go pick one up at a retailer). Verizon is everywhere in Wyoming (we also have Alltel, but I think AT&T is buying out Alltel? and I've heard from local deaf people and they've said Alltel have been pretty lousy and they prefer Verizon). Makes more sense to me to switch to Verizon, it's more "local" and accessible for me, and the rest of my family all use Verizon as well.

Just curious what sort of "deaf" plans Verizon has to offer, if they have any. Thought some of you guys here might be knowledgeable with this, since I'm clueless. I'm looking at just strictly data plan only, unlimited (texting, internet, emails, IMs, pic messaging). I don't want any voice plans (right now with my Data plan from T-mobile, I have voice blocked from my Sidekick, and that works great for me).
How about their phones? Which of Verizon's phones are more deaf friendly? I'm not really looking for full-out fancy smart phones like the iPhones or anything (anything similar to the Sidekick is good enough for me, I have an ipod touch for the fun stuff and I usually take my ipod everywhere I go, don't really need fun apps for the phone).

Any input would be great!

I'm debating switching from T-Mobile to Verizon in May when my T-mob contract is up. I'm still happy with T-Mobile, have no serious issues with them. Customer service has been great for me, and I'm extremely happy with just the Data only plan at $29.99 a month. But the thing is, Wyoming is not a T-Mobile state (no T-mobile retailers in Wyoming), so I have to use online chat tech support if I have problems with my sidekick (just recently they had to send me a new SIM card via UPS since I couldn't just go pick one up at a retailer). Verizon is everywhere in Wyoming (we also have Alltel, but I think AT&T is buying out Alltel? and I've heard from local deaf people and they've said Alltel have been pretty lousy and they prefer Verizon). Makes more sense to me to switch to Verizon, it's more "local" and accessible for me, and the rest of my family all use Verizon as well.

Just curious what sort of "deaf" plans Verizon has to offer, if they have any. Thought some of you guys here might be knowledgeable with this, since I'm clueless. I'm looking at just strictly data plan only, unlimited (texting, internet, emails, IMs, pic messaging). I don't want any voice plans (right now with my Data plan from T-mobile, I have voice blocked from my Sidekick, and that works great for me).
How about their phones? Which of Verizon's phones are more deaf friendly? I'm not really looking for full-out fancy smart phones like the iPhones or anything (anything similar to the Sidekick is good enough for me, I have an ipod touch for the fun stuff and I usually take my ipod everywhere I go, don't really need fun apps for the phone).

VZ's Deaf Plan
Nationwide Messaging Plans

Sprint's Deaf Plan
Data Only Plan - Sprint Relay Store

AT&T's Deaf Plan
Hearing Aid Compatibility and wireless phones - AT&T wireless services

T-mobile do not have Deaf plan that I know so far.

I'm still using the same old Data plan only service from when I first got the Sidekick 3 4 years ago.

thanks for the Links! Will check them out.

Alltel was bought out by Verizon 2 or 3 years ago. No Alltel stores should still exist and all remaining Alltel stores should be bearing the Verizon logo by now.

Verizon has good coverage but their data on all non-advanced devices is slow. I have an LG EnV3 that uses the 1X technology for data and it is slow so I very seldom use it. However you might be able to get a non-advanced device that uses the EVDO technology which I heard is fairly comparable to AT&T's EDGE network. I would recommend a Samsung over an LG, as Samsung tends to last a bit longer than LG.

However their customer service can get pretty shitty and when you call you will talk to a computer for forever before you ever connect with an actual person. So if you have any questions or concerns be prepared for this or go speak to a sales rep at a Verizon store.

if I encountered issues, I'd more than likely go to an actual person at a Verizon store.

and as for Alltel/Verizon, I've heard from different folks locally, and they are saying it's AT&T taking over Alltel locally. I don't know much of anything about this so I'm not worried.

Thanks for the input. Will definitely speak with a Verizon rep sometime about the phones and their data speed. Will also do some more browsing around/research. thanks again!

if I encountered issues, I'd more than likely go to an actual person at a Verizon store.

and as for Alltel/Verizon, I've heard from different folks locally, and they are saying it's AT&T taking over Alltel locally. I don't know much of anything about this so I'm not worried.

Thanks for the input. Will definitely speak with a Verizon rep sometime about the phones and their data speed. Will also do some more browsing around/research. thanks again!

FWIW Verizon has been reported to the BBB by me because....

I went to "speak" with a sales person about my old crackberry messing up daily. I told him I was nearly deaf and could not hear anything he said (he was the manager). He REFUSED to write for me, and kept trying to talk louder to me. I contacted Verizon corporate and the BBB. Corporate wrote me a letter, stating I had difficulties with an employee because of my hearing, etc, etc. At the end of the letter it says "if you need further assistance feel free to CALL me at XXX-XXX-XXXX".

I was like WTF dude?

Luckily another local store helped me out and got me a new phone. I heard that the guy had a few words with his boss......

FWIW Verizon has been reported to the BBB by me because....

I went to "speak" with a sales person about my old crackberry messing up daily. I told him I was nearly deaf and could not hear anything he said (he was the manager). He REFUSED to write for me, and kept trying to talk louder to me. I contacted Verizon corporate and the BBB. Corporate wrote me a letter, stating I had difficulties with an employee because of my hearing, etc, etc. At the end of the letter it says "if you need further assistance feel free to CALL me at XXX-XXX-XXXX".

I was like WTF dude?

If you are complaint. You need to contact Verizon office that they take care of you. They glad to assistant. Some manager will take care of it and they will get trouble.

If you are complaint. You need to contact Verizon office that they take care of you. They glad to assistant. Some manager will take care of it and they will get trouble.

The other store replaced my blackberry and gave me a droid :D

Back