Veganism

Righteo, thanks! Mystery Diner it is. Yes, she was allowed to stay and stopped pushing her extreme beliefs on customers. I don't know if you're murdering cows to get cheese (not in Asheville, you're not) and I don't know if the other thing(s) she said were true. I hear it and try to ignore some of it and I'm aware of making my own choices. "You're murdering cows!" I really like the fact that minimally Food Network allows months to pass and reports on how they're doing.

FF - Still no arguing :) . Good topic!

OF COURSE you are NOT murdering cows to get cheese or milk or other dairy products!! cheese is made from milk btw, as is butter.

In fact, if a cow is not milked daily, it can get seriously sick, because her udder is full of milk that goes spoiled
and eventually turns into bacterial infection mastitis which may be even deadly:

It is very painful for high-producing milk cows to be milked even a few hours late. They will let you know about it too, bawling, stomping their feet and carrying on to express their discomfort. They can and do get mastitis, which is an infection in the udder, from not being milked and mastitis can kill them. It is not a pretty death.

If you don’t milk a cow…..and then some - Farmlife

If one does not want a cow to produce milk, one must not ever milk a cow after it tends to a calf.
Quite like a human, once a calf is weaned a milk production will cease naturally.

The cows are encouraged by humans to produce milk continuously by daily milking, that's why they steadily produce moo juice.

But calling it murder is flat out bonkers. some people do not quite live in reality, sheesh.

Fuzzy

Peanuts and other products that can be made in the same process plant as peanuts seems like a disaster. I really sorry you're allergic.

I remember listening to NPR talk about the different arguments about aspartame. I usually don't listen to that stuff that well. But it was probably 20 years ago and apartame was called a neuro-toxin and the fight was not to allow it in our food. The FDA (we've talked a lot about them) was considering allowing it. I think that was the beginning of my being very conscious of the FDA but not knowing what to believe. It was fascinating. Why would a government agency consider allowing what was called a neuro-toxin in our food? Was it true? (In retrospect, probably it is. We can speculate that's what happened to the guys fighting in Iraq with the aspartame sodas sitting in the heat.)

@1995 (I remember the year by where I was working and a movie I saw - Mr. Holland's Opus), I was drinking about six aspartame sodas/day. I had just gotten new glasses. Periodically, I got migraines but what happened to me was beyond that and the symptoms were different. I had headache "attacks." They came on frequently and dissipated. My partner said she could see them coming on by my body and facial expression. I'm good with pain levels but this was exponentially beyond anything I had experienced. First I went back to my eyeglass place - glasses were fine. Then I went to a neurologist and told him factually (not subjectively) what happened. I did not add I thought I had a brain tumor - no evidence. He literally dismissed me. I figured it out by looking at my diet and figuring out what changed a lot. I knocked out the sodas and the headaches went with them.

No arguments here. But this is the FDA that allowed aspartame on the market and I'll stop here :) .

You are right. Aspartame is one of the main big migraine triggers. so is MSG.

Fuzzy

Right that's the reason why I stopped taking anything that have Aspartame. They are poison. We need to tell FDA to please remove Aspartame. The more people complain the more they will remove it.

Dixie, Stevia came from a plant. Dextrose was added to it but better than aspartame. More safer. It taste funny at first but now I am used to the taste. I used it on everything now.

Splenda is not safe too. Too many poisons out there!!! Ugh.

I was attempting to go vegan since I am already allergic to dairy. Seems I was not eating properly and ended up in hospital. Doc has informed me that I need to stick with dairy free and gluten free as I also have a gluten intolerance.

You are right. Aspartame is one of the main big migraine triggers. so is MSG.

Fuzzy
Audio, you've made a number of good points (or concurred I'm not off the wall with my statements :) ). I forgot about MSG primarily because we live in Asheville and there are no acceptably good Chinese restaurants here, so it's off our radar. We also went only to places where NO MSG was clearly stated and if it was in the food, I felt it quickly.

Yes, cows need to be milked. The waitress on Mystery Diner was stupid or ignorant, I'm not sure which. Fortunately, she had the brains to turn herself around.

Aspartame is just insanity again and, to me, since I lived through my own side-effects shows the colors of the FDA. People are so inundated and on overload, they don't see it and they just may not want to. It will never be taken off the market (never type never but I am). It produces money. I think most sugar replacements also make you hungry, so we end up pay for more food stuffs. When you look at the transition of life from (we can make it simple) when I was born to now, it's mostly pretty creepy. FUZZY: The head issues I had were very different from migraines. I went to a doctor some years before about the migraines I was getting (I outgrew them). Migraines came with flashes of light, nausea, and hours of pain. The apartame were a series of a small amount of pain that began at some point in my head (brain) and built up into one large BANG that eventually subsided (within in minutes) but then it would happen again. In odder words for me, the aspartame effect hurt exponentially worse than my migraines and came in waves. Migraines happened, visited for some hours and went away and I never knew when the next attack would be. Aspartame ... it was a matter of time waiting and that was unnerving. Each person will react differently.

I rarely mention this stuff because people don't like to hear it. It sounds like I'm an activist. I'm not. I just try to bring awareness so we can have some responsibility in creating our own future rather than having it run 100% by the government. Now, where's my soda with aspartame in it? (Kidding!)

Last edited:
Just wanted to correct myself about the title of Mystery Diners
-as it turns out it's plural dinerS,
so Mystery Diners,
sorry for my mistake!

I have watched more episodes by now and lol, peeps,
the look on the caught-with-hand-in-the-pot
faces is so worth watching this show :)

What I've noticed, the majority of rude people who steal and lie and
generally do a bad job-
they never apologize and.or admit they did anything wrong.

Very few apologize and admit they did wrong and ask for second chance.

I guess, if you are rotten, you are rotten thru and thru..

Fuzzy

I am not sure if the word Veganism is a proper word for labelling people. :dunno2:

anyway, Yesterday i was at a SKI resort. One of those Deaf friend who happens to be vegan. She saw my daughter eating the PB sandwich. She overreacted about the white bread. She said, " your girl is eating, white bread." Of course, My response was " yeppers, its a white bread. " with a big smile on my face. :giggle:

I wonder do veganism overreact to let others know what they are eating food that is UNHEATHLY?

No need debates here. it kills my time. :lol:

Vegan... hmm. Well, I rarely eat a lot of red meat, and I primarily eat white meat, and I do eat eggs, as well, every now and then, and I drink milk, but not as often as I should, though. As for cheese, I mainly eat the white cheese I make my Mexican snack with (Dreamer03-- you know what I mean?), and it's good, but gives me bellyaches. I don't eat a lot of bread, either, but when I do, I try to get white whole wheat, as I try to include SOME wheat in my diet. That's as far as I go in terms of doing things right.... could do better.

Righteo, thanks! Mystery Diner it is. Yes, she was allowed to stay and stopped pushing her extreme beliefs on customers. I don't know if you're murdering cows to get cheese (not in Asheville, you're not) and I don't know if the other thing(s) she said were true. I hear it and try to ignore some of it and I'm aware of making my own choices. "You're murdering cows!" I really like the fact that minimally Food Network allows months to pass and reports on how they're doing.

FF - Still no arguing :) . Good topic!

You do murder a cow to make cheese if the cheese has rennet in it. I believe rennet comes from the stomach part.

Back