Veganism

I tried adopting a vegetarian diet for health reasons but I had to stop because it was so expensive. I bought a bag of fresh fruits and vegetables that were in season at Walmart. It cost me $50! I was like WTF?!? No wonder people don't eat healthy anymore, its too expensive! So now I try to balance everything out as best I can and stay within budget.

Exactly why i am doing it.. I know everyone dies from anything so eat whatever you enjoy. lol

I tried adopting a vegetarian diet for health reasons but I had to stop because it was so expensive. I bought a bag of fresh fruits and vegetables that were in season at Walmart. It cost me $50! I was like WTF?!? No wonder people don't eat healthy anymore, its too expensive! So now I try to balance everything out as best I can and stay within budget.
I don't think Walmart carries anything organic, why the $50 ... beats me where that came from. I do shop there (shame on me but I do). "Healthy" isn't = to going vegetarian or vegan. It's going organic and non-GMO. I know we're all more resistant to antibiotics for many reasons including livestock being treated with it. I know vegetables are treated with Round-up and names I don't know how to spell. That means the vegs. we eat are also pesticides we eat.

Last edited:
Yeah there are some vegan militants out there... like one of my step daughter. When we first brought new Honda C-RV that have leather seat covers and when she first got in the car and she shout "SMELL LIKE DEAD ANIMAL INSIDE!!"

I was like....oh crap.....
Yeah, I haven't given up my 2004 Subaru Impreza but finally bought a new car (built to my partner's dreams but she says it's not her car). We'll share it in the end. I told my sis-in-law about it. I ended up apologizing immediately when I said it has heated front and rear leather seats. Mary laughed. She took my dad's kitties when he died and turned them vegan - they're doing fine. Shocked the heck out of me.

Yeah, I haven't given up my 2004 Subaru Impreza but finally bought a new car (built to my partner's dreams but she says it's not her car). We'll share it in the end. I told my sis-in-law about it. I ended up apologizing immediately when I said it has heated front and rear leather seats. Mary laughed. She took my dad's kitties when he died and turned them vegan - they're doing fine. Shocked the heck out of me.

Yeah, my wife pick that car and she love it with all the bell and whistle, a$$ and back heat, all the adjustable seat and such... and she know that her daughter will not be happy about it. Originally we want cloth type seat but there's none that fit her needs. it's either do a special order or pick it from the lot.. so we ended up that leather seat and she doesn't give a sh$t what she will say....(She thought her daughter will refuse to ride with us in that car, but she did)..

Not sure at all. She got married and will soon have her first baby. I think it might just be good judgement and making sure the baby gets the best start possible.

I was a vegetarian when I became pregnant with my daughter and raise her as a vegetarian too , she was a very healthy child and did not miss any school for two years in a row. That was very good not having a cold for 2 years , I do not know of any kids that when that long with no colds or the flu.
You have to know what you're doing when you're a vegetarian . Some people think it mean you just stop eating meat and they endup getting sick.

I was a vegetarian when I became pregnant with my daughter and raise her as a vegetarian too , she was a very healthy child and did not miss any school for two years in a row. That was very good not having a cold for 2 years , I do not know of any kids that when that long with no colds or the flu.
You have to know what you're doing when you're a vegetarian . Some people think it mean you just stop eating meat and they endup getting sick.

We were vegetarian for many years, and my children had healthy vegetarian starts in life.

There is a huge difference between vegetarian and vegan.

If you really want to become a vegan, its best to do a slow transition and learn as much about it as possible because you still need the same vitamins in your body that are commonly found in meat and meat products.

I like one of the Food Network shows where cameras are set up in restaurants to catch employees doing bad things. This week's show was done in a vegan joint. But the owner allows cheese. When a plant (person from the show) went there and asked for cheese on her sandwich, the head waitress called it murder and I think the owner wanted to murder her for turning away business. She kept her job. Vegans can get extreme as we all can. It's worse in Asheville than anyplace I've lived because it's more health conscious.

No debating and I eat garbage and health food. I read what was in milk, and that dropped out of my diet unless the 1/2 & 1/2 is organic - closest I get to milk (along with non-organic brie boo hoo!!!!).

It's called Mystery Diner - I just saw that episode. The owner kept her but told her
only if she start keeping her extreme opinions to herself.

And he is right! If she doesn't like the fact cheese is served there, she should quit.

Fuzzy

I'm beginning to omit meats by and by lately. Stopping using aspartame too and used stevia in raw instead. Eating fruits and veggies more as well as gluten free foods. I take vitamins too. Sadly I'm allergic to peanuts.

I'm beginning to omit meats by and by lately. Stopping using aspartame too and used stevia in raw instead. Eating fruits and veggies more as well as gluten free foods. I take vitamins too. Sadly I'm allergic to peanuts.

I thought Stevia was an artificial sweetener. I just limit my sweets to Coke and the occasional candy bar.

I use Stevia in the Raw too. Usually in my oatmeal and in my hot tea.
Some years ago I saw an allergist and the testing showed peanut reaction, so have not eaten peanuts since, though I like them. I love peanut butter. But I have a lot of allergy and sensitivities to things and my mom has had an anaphylactic reaction so I decided to be careful with the peanut issue.
Today for lunch I had cashew butter and apricot spread sandwich with steamed veggies.

I never heard of stevia then googled it. Is it like a sugar? is it some effect side?

Stevia is a herb that is used as a sweetener alternative to refined sweeteners like sugar. I mostly avoid refined sugar and chemical alternatives to sugar so I use Stevia often. Here's some info: Guide to Stevia

I mis-typed in my post before - I used both Stevia in the Raw and Sweet Leaf brands of Stevia. Stevia in the Raw does have small amount of what ends up being sugar <dextrose> added in and is therefore a bit controversial as a natural sugar alternative. I bought some of the Stevia in the Raw when I couldn't find the Sweet leaf one before.
Stevia in general does have an aftertaste but I'm used to "health food" so don't mind.

I also use raw honey or sometimes Eden's barley malt syrup as a sweetener.
Or - unsweetened applesauce goes good <to me> in my hot cereal.

I am vegetarian: no meat, no chicken, no fish. Love it!
I think it's great that you can do it. I tried when I was in my 20s and lasted three months. At Prudential (was there for 5 years), I primarily stayed with the huge salad bar and people frequently asked me if I was a vegetarian. Asheville's meat products are a lot higher than in NY/NJ where we lived, so I just do with a lot less of it. The brie I moaned about in NJ is probably up to maybe $9/lb (triple cream) but down here it's @$14/lb and in four years of living here, I haven't eaten it. Now, knowing what's in it, I still crave it but it's too expensive.

It's called Mystery Diner - I just saw that episode. The owner kept her but told her
only if she start keeping her extreme opinions to herself.

And he is right! If she doesn't like the fact cheese is served there, she should quit.

Fuzzy
Righteo, thanks! Mystery Diner it is. Yes, she was allowed to stay and stopped pushing her extreme beliefs on customers. I don't know if you're murdering cows to get cheese (not in Asheville, you're not) and I don't know if the other thing(s) she said were true. I hear it and try to ignore some of it and I'm aware of making my own choices. "You're murdering cows!" I really like the fact that minimally Food Network allows months to pass and reports on how they're doing.

FF - Still no arguing :) . Good topic!

Peanuts and other products that can be made in the same process plant as peanuts seems like a disaster. I really sorry you're allergic.

I remember listening to NPR talk about the different arguments about aspartame. I usually don't listen to that stuff that well. But it was probably 20 years ago and apartame was called a neuro-toxin and the fight was not to allow it in our food. The FDA (we've talked a lot about them) was considering allowing it. I think that was the beginning of my being very conscious of the FDA but not knowing what to believe. It was fascinating. Why would a government agency consider allowing what was called a neuro-toxin in our food? Was it true? (In retrospect, probably it is. We can speculate that's what happened to the guys fighting in Iraq with the aspartame sodas sitting in the heat.)

@1995 (I remember the year by where I was working and a movie I saw - Mr. Holland's Opus), I was drinking about six aspartame sodas/day. I had just gotten new glasses. Periodically, I got migraines but what happened to me was beyond that and the symptoms were different. I had headache "attacks." They came on frequently and dissipated. My partner said she could see them coming on by my body and facial expression. I'm good with pain levels but this was exponentially beyond anything I had experienced. First I went back to my eyeglass place - glasses were fine. Then I went to a neurologist and told him factually (not subjectively) what happened. I did not add I thought I had a brain tumor - no evidence. He literally dismissed me. I figured it out by looking at my diet and figuring out what changed a lot. I knocked out the sodas and the headaches went with them.

No arguments here. But this is the FDA that allowed aspartame on the market and I'll stop here :) .

Last edited:
Back