Vardon Family to lose Extreme Makeover House

Thanks and it is not easy but she is getting better
all the time.
Yep, we blame mostly on her mentally ill mother, not
her father cuz he left her mother when she was a little
girl. We have known for years what she has gone thru,
so it is really sad.
Oh by the way, her mother is now deceased so it was
not easy for her to live on her own, imagine that.

ooohhh.... that explains a lot... wow.... she's surely in for a big shock but it is great that you're helping her make a transition into this world.

+10 :thumb:

Thanks and it is not easy but she is getting better
all the time.
Yep, we blame mostly on her mentally ill mother, not
her father cuz he left her mother when she was a little
girl. We have known for years what she has gone thru,
so it is really sad.
Oh by the way, her mother is now deceased so it was
not easy for her to live on her own, imagine that.

i think it's awesome of you to help her like that. :D i'm sure she will always be grateful to you for your efforts. :)

ooohhh.... that explains a lot... wow.... she's surely in for a big shock but it is great that you're helping her make a transition into this world.

+10 :thumb:
Thanks!

You have no idea..but she is getting better, thanks to us.
It will take time but she will be fine.

i think it's awesome of you to help her like that. :D i'm sure she will always be grateful to you for your efforts. :)

Thanks!
Its funny, she is always asking all kinds of questions
about everything, she is like a little kid eager to learn
about stuff. Its probably cuz she never had any contact
with anybody to learn about life. Its her mother..we knew
that her mother wont let her visit with any deaf or hearing
people..that was so wrong.

Thanks!
Its funny, she is always asking all kinds of questions
about everything, she is like a little kid eager to learn
about stuff. Its probably cuz she never had any contact
with anybody to learn about life. Its her mother..we knew
that her mother wont let her visit with any deaf or hearing
people..that was so wrong.

you're welcome. :) yes, what this woman's mother did was wrong, but perhaps she treated her that way because of her (the mother's) mental illness. i'm not excusing her behavior, but some people who are mentally ill tend to be very isolated and isolate/overprotect their children as a result. having said that, i'm so glad this woman is curious about the world around her and is asking so many questions. i have a feeling she's going to be just fine -- especially since you are in her corner. :D

This is why I am cautious when making big purchases. Consider the entire price, save up for half and add another 1,000 to cover any hidden fees.

Always read the fine print and you can never ask too many questions, and write everything down.

This is why I am trying to finish my degree without having to take out student loans. I met one of my former co-workers yesterday, she has just finished her bachelor's degree has two teenage kids and a mountain of student loans to repay. That's something I don't need or want to contend with as a single parent when I finish my degree.

When I do finish, sure I will get a place of my own, but I will likely start with a small apartment and get a good rental history and work history on myself so when the day does come that I could afford a small house to buy for myself, then I will have a stable history to look back to and the loan rep will be more likely to consider me a low-risk borrower and give me more financing options. Of course I should have enough cash on hand to cover the downpayment, fees, and homeowners insurance. This is something you don't do on a spur of the moment. This is something you need to think long and hard about, consider your needs, your means, and wants, and tell yourself to live comfortably within your means.

wow! they still have to pay mortage! i thought the show pay for them! werid! what happen??

wow! they still have to pay mortage! i thought the show pay for them! werid! what happen??

hell no. no such thing as free bread! The remake is free but you still gotta pay for mortgage and such.

ohhh! i saw one time they torn their mortage paper payment.. that was other time as the same show group..

I may contact with ADA lawyer in Washington, DC under NAD if the medicare constantly reject out of the state.

I am fighting for my Dad's right.

Not necessarily...

The first step is that you should contact the Disability Law Center, Inc. (in Boston, MA..) Their website is: www.dlc_ma.org/ . I wish you a good luck! :)

ClearSky, we are thinking the same thing! :)

i said originally that i didn't think medicare discriminated against the op's father (since they have a habit of paying for the lowest common denominator when it comes to health services), but i was wrong. there's no reason why medicare shouldn't allow the op's father to live in a nursing home for the deaf. i wish the op all the best with her fight. :)

What I heard on this family was that the mortgage was paid through either the Extreme Homes Makeover show/volunteers and/or charitable contributions. No mortgage on the house when they accepted it from Extreme Homes. However, the debt apparently came from them borrowing against the house equity (ie taking a mortgage out on it) and that's what they can't afford to pay back. Don't know anymore details on the overall story.

My dad heard that on the Detroit News. Since, it's very true because I saw too many houses are on foreclosed/selling.(I only went to a few cities, still too many even I read the book for the houses selling, it's very thicker than before)

lol yeah its so bad houses are being auctioned off for like 10 grand and still no one buys 'em. Sad.

Detroit sucks anyway though.

An echo in my head "There no free lunch". For anything that is free, its also taxed on.

I was watching Texas Hold'em on Saturday night. Dude won 2 million dollars in WPT. I know he gonna pay half to taxes and keep only 1 million or even less. I am thinking, possible same rule applied to Home Extreme Make over... nothing is free.

If you know how taxes works, there are bypasses around the taxes. Cannot avoid taxes penalties but can get around it to your own advantage than be one that suffers.

Message I have received via EMAIL today.

Quote:
PLEASE SPREAD THIS WORDS TO OTHER DEAF COMMUNITY THANKS !

We the Vardon Family like to say something.

Some of you saw us on channel 4 local news here in Detroit, MI about our home.

Some of our deaf community asked me some questions because TV news was short and not enough information. I can help to answer some questions.

We did not call channel 4 for help. We have been working with “The Lighthouse” of Oakland County, Michigan to save our home. The Lighthouse is a non-profit group that helps people save their homes before foreclosure happens. We went to The Lighthouse to ask for advice on our mortgage problems. The Lighthouse asked us to go on channel 4 news and explain that The Lighthouse is the place to go if you are having problems with mortgage problems. We wanted to show people that it is okay to ask for help and go to The Lighthouse.

We really do want to save our home because the house we have is built for our son, Lance. Please remember Lance is blind and has autism. Lance needs specific things that can help Lance live each day. We can move to another home if it was just deaf things like flashing lights for phone, doorbell, VP, but the things needed for Lance and it is familiar place for Lance, no other home will provide the same things Lance needs. We worry about Lance’s running away if we move to another home. We fight for Lance.

Yes, we are in threat of a foreclosure because our medical bills for Lance are high. We had 3 eye operations for Lance and his autism therapy. The medical bills are pricey for us. We just can not keep up with the medical bills and our mortgage bills at the same time. ABC Extreme Home Makeover

made changes and were greatly helpful to us and our lives changed for the better. However, we still needed to pay our mortgage.

I said my thanksgiving prayer is to save our home and send other families to The Lighthouse before the foreclosures happens for other families. We want to educate people about The Lighthouse of Oakland County, Michigan.

We hope you understand and God Bless you.

Regards,

The Vardon Family

"We had 3 eye operations for Lance and his autism therapy. The medical bills are pricey for us. We just can not keep up with the medical bills and our mortgage bills at the same time."

if the vardon's had medical bills piling up, why on earth did they choose to go on extreme makeover?

epic fail!

<warning: current mood ---> irritated>

Well, what happened with this family so far, any news?
I wonder if they still have their new home or did they
lose it??
I hope and pray for Vardon family that they still have their
new home as they truly deserve it!

Here's an updated news about their family.

Extreme Makeover Family Facing Foreclosure || WXYZ.com | WXYZ-TV / Detroit | Detroit News, Weather, Sports and More

(WXYZ) An Oak Park family who received an Extreme Makeover for their home is now in danger of losing it to foreclosure.

Larry and Judy Vardon got into financial trouble because of extensive medical bills for their youngest son, Lance. The 16-year-old is blind and autistic. His medical treatments are not covered by their insurance.

The Vardons were also hit by the subprime housing crisis. Their mortgage rate jumped to 11 percent after it adjusted. Larry Vardon is also worried about being laid off from his job at the Chrysler Stamping Plant in Sterling Heights.

Many of the Vardons' neighbors had thought that their mortgage was paid off when they appeared on the show in November 2004, but that was not the case. Now the home is one of the 390 in Oak Park currently in foreclosure.

The Vardons' property taxes are also part of their financial problems. They jumped almost $1,000 after the makeover.

After their appearance on the show, Larry was laid off and they remortgaged the house. Since then the mortgage has been resold to different companies three times, with the interest rate jumping each time.

The family's debts include $20,000 in medical expenses for Lance. The family has set up a fund to try and raise money. If you want to help you can contact the Friends of the Vardon Family Fund, P.O. Box 721084, Berkley, MI 48072-0084.

Back