Vardon Family to lose Extreme Makeover House

Interesting...when u win something, and they force u to pay for it.

Seems like the family was perhas tricked? Honestly it seems that these days when u win a prize, and these prizes arent even completely free. You would have to pay some taxes for it anyway.

The Encomony is in really bad shape. I've seen alot of houses on sale in alot of places as well and not many can really afford these houses like WhisperHorse mentioned since everything cost too much now and money has become tigher and tigher its hard to keep up.

I am shocked that they are not free on Extreme Homemaker. I wonder why they fix up the house but not solving the mortgage on that.

I am scratching my head.

Gas are now half the price as 3 months ago. That shouldnt be a factor anymore. But the food has not gone down because store are "milking" the money until they finally profit. There are several business went out few months ago because of gas price but now gas are down... they missed their opportunity to save a lot money.

Thanks to all who agreed with me, commented and shared information!

What makes me wonder is the 11% interest. That is so high. I can understand on a boat, car loan if the borrower is risky but on a house? Most rates are something like 4% to 6.25%? That's so much money to lay out and so little toward the principal. I know banks don't want to deal with foreclosed houses but it would benefit them to restructure loans to keep income coming through payments and interest. Never mind the property taxes and etc that jack up the whole monthly layout. I just had the plumber in today. It cost $225.00 but not my problem because it's getting deducted from the rent.

It's good to see some people in here because I learn something from reading other posts.

Thanks to all who agreed with me, commented and shared information!

What makes me wonder is the 11% interest. That is so high. I can understand on a boat, car loan if the borrower is risky but on a house? Most rates are something like 4% to 6.25%? That's so much money to lay out and so little toward the principal. I know banks don't want to deal with foreclosed houses but it would benefit them to restructure loans to keep income coming through payments and interest. Never mind the property taxes and etc that jack up the whole monthly layout. I just had the plumber in today. It cost $225.00 but not my problem because it's getting deducted from the rent.

It's good to see some people in here because I learn something from reading other posts.

i wonder if the 11% interest rate had to do with the vardon's credit history?

the vardon's weren't tricked. when they agreed to be on home extreme makeover, they agreed to all of the terms of the show -- including the mortgage payments. who knows? perhaps they failed to read all of the fine print. in any case, home extreme makeover isn't to blame. if people can't afford the homes they buy, they shouldn't be living in them in the first place.

Hmm...I see. Makes sense I guess they should've been more careful before making those decisions.

Maybe the high interest rate would have to do with the fact they kept borrowing against the loan to keep paying for the mortgage?

I don't know. I admit I kept watching that video clip so I could at least catch the signing because my vision isn't up to par.

Maybe the high interest rate would have to do with the fact they kept borrowing against the loan to keep paying for the mortgage?

I don't know. I admit I kept watching that video clip so I could at least catch the signing because my vision isn't up to par.

that very well could be.

later today i'm going to check out that video. hopefully it has voiceover because i'm totally blind and can't see signing.

Can you please spread the "deaf rumors" around about me wanting to buy his house. :)

That's horrible about your dad. I'm so sorry to hear that---a lot of people are dealing with this. Again, that's why some people are making choices to make sure they stay out of situations like this. If the "gov't" took everything, then he must have had something in exchange for it, like Medicaid. I am not very versed in this, but it sounds like your dad had to let go of alot of assets to go on Medicaid or Medicare. ????? This is where I am aware I may be "not careful" with what I'm saying so if this offends you, then I am very sorry. I'm only making a point here and there about people making choices. My parents have set up long term care insurance in case "this situation" ever occurs.

It bothers me alot because itself medicare in State of Rhode Island is not friendly to allow my Dad out of the State of R.I. to admitting him into New England Home for the Deaf to interact with other Deaf eldery people. It makes me extremely furious because State put him into hearing nurse home. His mental and physical deterioration. My sister and I will find out why State of RI medicare not willing to let my Dad into Deaf Nursing Home in Massachusetts.

The family who signed "on the wrong spot" for their house---this exactly made my point. People need to be very careful signing contracts and reading the fine print. I am not saying this to make you feel bad. Peace.

Yes exactly, many people are not educated about the mortgage like adjust and fixed. Include tax property. It causes their budget is instablity.

The reason I put large font as bold, I wanted to express my furious with Government take away many eldery homes when their health deteriorated to force them into nursing homes. Their children could not take care of their eldery parents due to lift for bathroom and bathe, etc... I took care of my Dad for 72 hours straight. Oh gosh, my body was all ache and outburst.

It breaks my heart to seeing my Dad very very sad and depress to interact with other hearing eldery people at nurse home. He does not deserve it !

My point is that goverment sold my Dad s house worth half million dollars which that house value only $180,000 dollars. Tell me why government sold that house that almost million dollars ??? What would the government do with all of my Dad s car, house, IRA, investment, etc...

What is more, State of RI medicare reject Dad going into Deaf Nursing home in Massachusetts? It makes me wonder why, State of RI would keep all of that money instead of State of Massachusetts. My sister and I are doing reseach to find out why medicare reject him out of the state? Isn't it discriminate against his Deaf???

I am shocked that they are not free on Extreme Homemaker. I wonder why they fix up the house but not solving the mortgage on that.

I am scratching my head.

Yeah, it makes me wonder why ? I thought, Extreme Homemaker donation for this special child accessiable. Government is such ripping off !!

With my own eyes to seeing my Dad went down the hill when the Government sold his house worth half million dollars to put him into hearing nurse home. That is piss me off !

It bothers me alot because itself medicare in State of Rhode Island is not friendly to allow my Dad out of the State of R.I. to admitting him into New England Home for the Deaf to interact with other Deaf eldery people. It makes me extremely furious because State put him into hearing nurse home. His mental and physical deterioration. My sister and I will find out why State of RI medicare not willing to let my Dad into Deaf Nursing Home in Massachusetts.

Yes exactly, many people are not educated about the mortgage like adjust and fixed. Include tax property. It causes their budget is instablity.

The reason I put large font as bold, I wanted to express my furious with Government take away many eldery homes when their health deteriorated to force them into nursing homes. Their children could not take care of their eldery parents due to lift for bathroom and bathe, etc... I took care of my Dad for 72 hours straight. Oh gosh, my body was all ache and outburst.

It breaks my heart to seeing my Dad very very sad and depress to interact with other hearing eldery people at nurse home. He does not deserve it !

My point is that goverment sold my Dad s house worth half million dollars which that house value only $180,000 dollars. Tell me why government sold that house that almost million dollars ??? What would the government do with all of my Dad s car, house, IRA, investment, etc...

What is more, State of RI medicare reject Dad going into Deaf Nursing home in Massachusetts? It makes me wonder why, State of RI would keep all of that money instead of State of Massachusetts. My sister and I are doing reseach to find out why medicare reject him out of the state? Isn't it discriminate against his Deaf???

medicare isn't discriminating against your father because of his deafness. when it comes to nursing home care, medicare pays for the absolute bare minimum. i'm sorry to hear about your father being placed in a hearing nursing home. i bet life would be so much more comfortable for him if he were allowed to attend the nursing home for the deaf in massachussets.

Kalista,
I am so sorry to hear about your dad's situation. I agree with you that it's best place for him at NEHD because they do have deaf services there. NEHD's number one.

I suggest you to talk to the Executive Director about this. Maybe he can help you with your dad's transfer to NEHD, a deaf nursing home from a hearing nursing home.

If everything fail and then, I suggest you to contact an attorney, if you can't afford to hire one and then, contact a free legal lawyer to fight your dad's rights, etc.

Please let us know how it went?

I wish you the best of luck! :)

Kalista,
I am so sorry to hear about your dad's situation. I agree with you that it's best place for him at NEHD because they do have deaf services there. NEHD's number one.

I suggest you to talk to the Executive Director about this. Maybe he can help you with your dad's transfer to NEHD, a deaf nursing home from a hearing nursing home.

If everything fail and then, I suggest you to contact an attorney, if you can't afford to hire one and then, contact a free legal lawyer to fight your dad's rights, etc.

Please let us know how it went?

I wish you the best of luck! :)

I thought the same thing. It's might be worth talking to a lawyer.

I thought the same thing. It's might be worth talking to a lawyer.

I may contact with ADA lawyer in Washington, DC under NAD if the medicare constantly reject out of the state.

I am fighting for my Dad's right.

300,000? What source do you have on that. I find that number off the chart of what they are telling on the news.

My dad heard that on the Detroit News. Since, it's very true because I saw too many houses are on foreclosed/selling.(I only went to a few cities, still too many even I read the book for the houses selling, it's very thicker than before)

Extreme Makeover Deaf Couple to lose house
Local Home Makeover Winners About To Lose Home

Video

Back in 2004, when Extreme Home Makeover came to Detroit to help a deaf couple with 2 sons (one son with autism and blind) with a house renovation. Now, the family is about to lose a house. Pray for Vardon Family

Extreme Makeover Deaf Couple to lose house
Local Home Makeover Winners About To Lose Home

Video

Back in 2004, when Extreme Home Makeover came to Detroit to help a deaf couple with 2 sons (one son with autism and blind) with a house renovation. Now, the family is about to lose a house. Pray for Vardon Family

Aww, that is so sad and unfair, i know but i think they didnt
understand that they had to pay taxes or whatever. A lot of
deaf people dont, you would be surprised! We are currently
helping this lady who has no idea about buying a car since she
never had one before and she didnt realize that she had to have
a driver's license, buy a car tag, get a car insurance!! Thats because
she was so isolated from the hearing world, no contact from any deaf
people..she dont even know sign language! We are helping her all we
can because we want her to have a normal life.

Aww, that is so sad and unfair, i know but i think they didnt
understand that they had to pay taxes or whatever. A lot of
deaf people dont, you would be surprised! We are currently
helping this lady who has no idea about buying a car since she
never had one before and she didnt realize that she had to have
a driver's license, buy a car tag, get a car insurance!! Thats because
she was so isolated from the hearing world, no contact from any deaf
people..she dont even know sign language! We are helping her all we
can because we want her to have a normal life.

That's nice of you to help her. I cannot believe how or why is she so isolated. SHAME ON HER PARENTS! :mad2:

That's nice of you to help her. I cannot believe how or why is she so isolated. SHAME ON HER PARENTS! :mad2:

Thanks and it is not easy but she is getting better
all the time.
Yep, we blame mostly on her mentally ill mother, not
her father cuz he left her mother when she was a little
girl. We have known for years what she has gone thru,
so it is really sad.
Oh by the way, her mother is now deceased so it was
not easy for her to live on her own, imagine that.

Thanks and it is not easy but she is getting better
all the time.
Yep, we blame mostly on her mentally ill mother, not
her father cuz he left her mother when she was a little
girl. We have known for years what she has gone thru,
so it is really sad.
Oh by the way, her mother is now deceased so it was
not easy for her to live on her own, imagine that.

Aww, that's really sweet of you helpin' her. She will never forget your kindness. :)

Back