Utah father says newborn’s mother placed child for adoption

rockin'robin

Reaction score
adoptive parents against his wishes

SALT LAKE CITY -- Breaking into tears, Colby Nielsen says watching his baby girl being taken away was the hardest thing he’s ever had to do.

“I couldn't even get her out of her car seat,” Nielsen said.

Kaylee was born on November 4, and, since then, the 20-year-old father never left her side. Until he was forced to give her to adoptive parents this week, after Kaylee’s mother put her up for adoption.

“My favorite moments is when she would just lay on my chest and we would watch TV and she just slept,” Nielsen said.

Nielsen thought he had done everything to keep her. He filed for paternity, and he got the birth certificate amended, naming him as the biological father. It turns out, that’s not enough.

Nielsen’s lawyer, Wes Hutchins, says a technical reading of the Utah Adoption Law allows biological mothers to put their babies up for adoption without notifying the biological father.

“They took this man's daughter without his knowledge or consent: That is essentially, by definition, stealing,” Hutchins said.

In order to keep Kaylee, Nielsen needed to file a paternity action, an affidavit, and a commencement notice with Utah’s vital records, a day before the mother signed the adoption papers relinquishing her rights. However, in Nielsen’s case, he says the mother only gave him a few hours’ notice about what she was doing.

Senator Todd Weiler calls this is an unfortunate situation, but he said this is the way it has been for unmarried fathers in Utah for decades.

“In this case it's a heartbreaking story, but a simple Google search would've told this father the steps he needed to take,” Weiler said.

Nielsen’s lawyer says the law is unconstitutional.

“A statute that allows this to happen is skewed against biological fathers,” Hutchins said.

Nielsen says his girlfriend has been influenced by her religious parents who were upset that the child had been born out of wedlock. Even though Nielsen thought he had convinced her to let him raise Kaylee on his own, she ended up signing the adoption papers, relinquishing her rights to a couple that is friends with her parents.

“I would like her back,” says Nielsen tearfully.

Nielsen’s lawyer is confident they will get Kaylee back, either by changing the legislation by proposing amendments, or taking this case all the way to the Supreme Court.

http://fox13now.com/2015/11/20/utah...ild-with-adoptive-parents-against-his-wishes/

I've always thought that both parents should have signed the paper giving up the rights and give them up for adoption not just the mother. That is a huge blow to the biological father, I hope he gets his daughter back.

Mothers parents a disgrace.i do hope biological father wins..Because have nuts law I thought the the things on the constitution be on fathers side...not a load of poligimus Jeses preaching nutters who on the look of it are sadistic

How sad this is . I hope the father will be able to get his baby back . :( I don't think I would had felt good adopting the baby knowing one of parent really wanted it.

You have a loving single father that actually wants his child and they give the baby away. Sadly, even if he fights it and wins, he will lose precious time with his baby. The adopting parents need to do the right thing and give him his daughter back. Better now than when she is like two or three years old.

I am lost, why does the adoptive parents not fix this issue by giving the child to the father? Seems the proper action...

In oregon both parents have to give permission, that is how my dad found out about my brother and ended up raising him. I believe both parents should have a say. What if that baby was thrown into the foster care system, bouncing from house to house when her father wanted her from the start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Well....at least the mother didnt murder (abort)..the baby....

That stated.

Harsh all round for the father..

True she could have killed the child after it was born like so many have. So at least his child gets to live although not with him. Maybe it will be an open adoption and he will get to see her

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Does anyone have updated information on this situation?

If I were going to be an adoptive parent, and knew that one of the biological parents wanted to keep the child, I could not in good conscience keep that baby away from it's biological parent. It would be on my mind at all times. (Unless the biological parent was a problem parent.) I hope the father gets the baby back.

What kind of people are the adoptive parents!!!??? I could see how laws can be screwed up and judges are required to obey them but what kind of people could do that?

I hope it does go to the supreme court. I don't understand how they can take that mans baby away.

In the Mormon scheme of things, women do not have as many rights as men. However, due to their extreme ambivalence about sexuality, this is an exception. Because women are raised to be so subservient, fewer women leave Mormonism. Men are more likely to leave. Thus, a woman who makes a sexual mistake is urged to give up the child for adoption http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/12/mitt-romney-pressure-adoption-book_n_1200865.html . This is to ensure that the child is raised in a Mormon family with two parents.

I could speculate about infertility as a result of abortions to escape the stigma of unwed pregnancy, particularly among the aristocracy of Mormons, but I won't here.

In the Mormon scheme of things, women do not have as many rights as men. However, due to their extreme ambivalence about sexuality, this is an exception. Because women are raised to be so subservient, fewer women leave Mormonism. Men are more likely to leave. Thus, a woman who makes a sexual mistake is urged to give up the child for adoption http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/12/mitt-romney-pressure-adoption-book_n_1200865.html . This is to ensure that the child is raised in a Mormon family with two parents.

I could speculate about infertility as a result of abortions to escape the stigma of unwed pregnancy, particularly among the aristocracy of Mormons, but I won't here.
Do we know she was Mormon? I only read the first post and it said " influenced by her religious parents". Just because it's in Utah does not mean they were Mormon. I'm sure there are many other "religious parents" of different denominations who would tell their daughters to put their baby up for adoption. Unfortunately there are also many parents who would force their daughters to have abortions.

I agree that it is not right to assume. However, non-Mormons and ex-Mormons in Utah are generally much more liberal than devout Mormons (this excludes jack-Mormons, who may in some respects still believe, but do not conform to LDS practices). And, of course, the devout are more likely to be among the aristocracy. Even Catholics in Utah are much more liberal--, but, again, that requires a lot more explaining than appropriate here. See the flaws in Mormon culture, and resolve to not practice them in one's own culture.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/20...ke-city-elects-lesbian-mayor-jackie-biskupski SLC, for example, is much less Mormon than one might expect.

Catholics are more supportive of girls raising out-of-wedlock children, realizing that a lapse of judgement, or alcohol abuse, are forgiven, and judgmental attitudes encourage abortions.

I know that fathers have disadvantages when it comes with baby which is not a good thing. :(

I read most of the comments included in the link in Deaf Ducky's post, and it does appear this is a Mormon family.

That being said, I don't think this thread needs to be hijacked about religious beliefs. I stand by my statement in that I would have a very difficult time adopting and keeping a child knowing full well the biological father wanted her.

Back