Utah Deaf Hospital Rights

Barbaro

Reaction score
This is very important to read. You have power to make it happen. Sadly, I cannot go to Utah for protest due to circumstances and I live too far away. Deaf Hospital Rights Protest will be held at Utah State Capital in Salt Lake City, UT on October 26th on Saturday.

If you know anyone who faced discrimination at the hospital in Utah like requesting for live interpreter, but it never happened. Please contact Utah Deaf Hospital Rights on Facebook. They need more stories like you within 2 years and it has to be in Utah only. This is very important for you to spread the word.

You may recognize Jared Allebest, the lawyer. I believe @rockin'robin posted a thread here on AD about Jared Allebest being a lawyer a while ago. Two lawsuits filed against a major hospital in Utah due to failure to provide a live interpreter.

You can watch their horrible stories on Youtube Utah Deaf Hospital Rights. Again, if a similar situation happened to you at Utah hospital, you can share your story, too!

This is his Allebest Law Group

Here's a Facebook group- Utah Deaf Hospital Rights. Please like and share it!

Reminder Time! You can print this flyer and share it! if a similar situation happened to you in Utah. Contact either Utah Deaf Hospital Rights or the lawyer, Jared Allebest. You could save lives if you share your personal story!

1570810744136.png

I hope this pushes for the interpreting services at the hospital and for nationwide as well. My Kaiser have my sign language as primary communication on file and provides interpreter whenever I visit the hospital either live or VRI service. My last visit was optometry and they provided live interpreter which helped greatly. All hospitals should provide interpreter to make communication easier.

Reminder time!

October 26th is next week. Show up if you can. Please print a flyer from my #2 post and pass it to anyone. Please come and support them! You can make a difference in their lives!

Sorry, hospital will win in the lawsuit. End of story.

Actually, there are two lawsuits against the hospital. You're giving up because you think it is hopeless. You're not fighting, but we are blessed Jared Allebest is fighting for D/Deaf community and YOU. That's what the protest is for. Stop being apathy and spread the word instead. Actions speak louder.

Actually, there are two lawsuits against the hospital. You're giving up because you think it is hopeless. You're not fighting, but we are blessed Jared Allebest is fighting for D/Deaf community and YOU. That's what the protest is for. Stop being apathy and spread the word instead. Actions speak louder.
Keep fighting for us, hope Jared can afford 10 lawyers. Barbaro, you know nothing about hospitals - I've been working for them for 8 years and I know their system very well. Hospital provided a VRI as a communication tool, it is too bad for deaf people who dislike it very much. Losing in the action speaks louder, keep fighting leads to nowhere.

Keep fighting for us, hope Jared can afford 10 lawyers.
Drop sarcasm. Jared is a partner with other legal firms. Jared also has extra help from Utah Deaf Hospital Rights committee.

I've been working for them for 8 years and I know their system very well. Hospital provided a VRI as a communication tool, it is too bad for deaf people who dislike it very much.
How much do you know their system? Care to tell us? What do you do at your hospital? Do you personally know your hospital board director and members? If you do, have you discussed the issue with them, haven't you?

Everyone is already aware hospitals, medical and therapy offices do provide VRI is extremely common among the US. Clearly, you don't watch their personal stories. It is not just about VRI. It is about people's ignorant attitude. This is what we fight to change and educate them. For example, the woman in the language department happens to know ASL, but you know what she did? She chose to not sign ASL. She talked to the interpreter directly instead and ignored Deaf patient. She knew the Deaf patient requested for live interpreter two weeks earlier, but she made a lame excuse that she has personal problems in her life that she "forgot" to contact an interpreting agency. She lied. That's no excuse.

There are five interpreting agencies near the Utah hospital and they can be contacted at any time. Plus the hospital has an outdated policy- no more than 2 hours to pay interpreter/translator fees. The policy has to be changed.

Losing in the action speaks louder, keep fighting leads to nowhere.
Since you are single, why don't you make time and step and help out? I am sure you have plenty of times to do it except drive around in your sports car, hiking and traveling. Jared is busy fighting while you sit and enjoy your life.

Two lawsuits filed by two Deaf patients are fighting for their rights. You sit and do nothing except mock all you want.

A Deaf father filed a lawsuit against San Antonio Independent School District because he wasn't provided an interpreter and VRI for his hearing son's ARD meetings with teachers. You know what he did? He fought and won. He also made sure the schools are required to train all teachers to provide interpreters. Yet you think "Losing in the action speaks louder, keep fighting leads to nowhere?"

Gallaudet students fought for Deaf president and won. Where is your inspiration? Oh, wait you give up because you're apathy. Let me quote your own quote again- "Losing in the action speaks louder, keep fighting leads to nowhere."

There are plenty of stories out there where Deaf people fought and won.

Just print flyers and pass them. Thank you.

Losing in the action speaks louder, keep fighting leads to nowhere.

I wouldn't be so sure about that Authentic... A Deaf guy sued UPS with class action lawsuit over 15 years ago and won. UPS has powerful lawyers over the years, they ended up settled in court to provide interpreter, TTY (at the time before texting came) and captions in the training videos. UPS had to pay big money to those involved including me.

There is some successful stories about winning a lawsuit against the employer, public service such as hospitals, Police, Fire Dept. If someone documents everything, the stronger case it gets. Supporting one another for their cause is good to have instead of telling someone "It's not going to happen" or "You'll never win the lawsuit" that loses their morale and feel discouraged.

My hats off to Jared Allebest for fighting it, I hope he wins and make changes. We need more people like him and those Deaf people won their cases against those who discriminates.

Updates from Utah Deaf Hospital Rights- two videos were live today and posted on Facebook. Please click them below. I apologize for no transcripts since they were live. I will try to summarize it as much as I can.

Protest Announcement in ASL
Janelle is at Utah Capital Building. She needs your help and invite all of you to come here. Arrive here at 10. The protest starts at 10:30 am. It ends at around 12:30 pm. She explains the rules what to do at the Utah Capital Building. The building has asked us to keep it clean and do not bring food or drink. It is important to keep this area clean. Be nice to anyone and do not fight or yell or argue with another one. The bathroom is at the capital. Please use bathroom before the protest starts.

Protest Agenda in ASL
Janelle: We will do nation allegiance. I will sign. My sister will sing. We encourage all of you to sign with me. Why? Because this is amazing country- we can change our laws with everything will be so much better for all of us, our children, and your children. Secondly, We have a few speakers. I am not telling you who yet, but we have speakers. If you know any good Deaf comedian, please let us know. We could use some laugh! We have audience will participate. What does it mean? I need you to share your story. It is not just my story, not Kim Smith's story, and stories we have interviewed for videos. This is yours. We turn this over to you. Each of you have 5 minutes to share your story- Did you request for interpreter? Is VRI working? We need to hear that. Thirdly, we are done after the stories with amazing and awesome song all of us will do it together.

If I miss anything else from updates please inform me. I am in the middle of caring for my son now.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure about that Authentic... A Deaf guy sued UPS with class action lawsuit over 15 years ago and won. UPS has powerful lawyers over the years, they ended up settled in court to provide interpreter, TTY (at the time before texting came) and captions in the training videos. UPS had to pay big money to those involved including me.

There is some successful stories about winning a lawsuit against the employer, public service such as hospitals, Police, Fire Dept. If someone documents everything, the stronger case it gets. Supporting one another for their cause is good to have instead of telling someone "It's not going to happen" or "You'll never win the lawsuit" that loses their morale and feel discouraged.

My hats off to Jared Allebest for fighting it, I hope he wins and make changes. We need more people like him and those Deaf people won their cases against those who discriminates.

UPS is private business - easy win in lawsuits.
ADA is FEDERAL, you hardly win against the government.

You will need a Deaf president of ADA to change the law #36.303.

Good luck!

Drop sarcasm. Jared is a partner with other legal firms. Jared also has extra help from Utah Deaf Hospital Rights committee.

How much do you know their system? Care to tell us? What do you do at your hospital? Do you personally know your hospital board director and members? If you do, have you discussed the issue with them, haven't you?

Everyone is already aware hospitals, medical and therapy offices do provide VRI is extremely common among the US. Clearly, you don't watch their personal stories. It is not just about VRI. It is about people's ignorant attitude. This is what we fight to change and educate them. For example, the woman in the language department happens to know ASL, but you know what she did? She chose to not sign ASL. She talked to the interpreter directly instead and ignored Deaf patient. She knew the Deaf patient requested for live interpreter two weeks earlier, but she made a lame excuse that she has personal problems in her life that she "forgot" to contact an interpreting agency. She lied. That's no excuse.

There are five interpreting agencies near the Utah hospital and they can be contacted at any time. Plus the hospital has an outdated policy- no more than 2 hours to pay interpreter/translator fees. The policy has to be changed.

Since you are single, why don't you make time and step and help out? I am sure you have plenty of times to do it except drive around in your sports car, hiking and traveling. Jared is busy fighting while you sit and enjoy your life.

Two lawsuits filed by two Deaf patients are fighting for their rights. You sit and do nothing except mock all you want.

A Deaf father filed a lawsuit against San Antonio Independent School District because he wasn't provided an interpreter and VRI for his hearing son's ARD meetings with teachers. You know what he did? He fought and won. He also made sure the schools are required to train all teachers to provide interpreters. Yet you think "Losing in the action speaks louder, keep fighting leads to nowhere?"

Gallaudet students fought for Deaf president and won. Where is your inspiration? Oh, wait you give up because you're apathy. Let me quote your own quote again- "Losing in the action speaks louder, keep fighting leads to nowhere."

There are plenty of stories out there where Deaf people fought and won.

Just print flyers and pass them. Thank you.
LMAO you had to use my personal life into this conversation. Keep talking, and you will see the unappealing results that will make you feel old really quick. Nitwit.

UPS is private business - easy win in lawsuits.
ADA is FEDERAL, you hardly win against the government.

Private hospitals are owned by private companies. Yes, they're a private business, too. Ever heard of investors? You said "easy win in lawsuits" yet you said your famous quote - "Losing in the action speaks louder, keep fighting leads to nowhere." You are contradicting yourself. Think harder before you write down.

Calvin was talking about a private company, not the government. ADA applies to private and public jobs. Yeah, Previous President George Bush was the government and passed ADA. Have you ever worked in US government agency? Are you naturalized US citizen, aren't you?

You will need a Deaf president of ADA to change the law #36.303.
Umm, have you taken political science courses at a college, haven't you? You just made it up by saying "president of ADA" unless you're referred to the President of American Dental Association. We all know that American with Disabilities Act (ADA) presidential position DOESN'T exist. ADA is just a guideline full of clauses and tell you what to do like filing a complaint with EEOC. ADA is a part of Civil Right Division, which is under The Department of Justice- I believe what you referred to- Assistant Attorney General, not President of ADA. My advice is If you don't know, then don't say anything.

Are you sure you actually watched the video? Do you understand what she said? Do you realize that you posted the video that support our posts? Actually, there is nothing wrong with the clause-#36.303. The Utah hospital did violate #36.303. Please re-watch the video again.

Last edited:
LMAO you had to use my personal life into this conversation. Keep talking, and you will see the unappealing results that will make you feel old really quick. Nitwit.

You are the one who wrote the personal post about yourself- "I've been working for them for 8 years and I know their system very well. Hospital provided a VRI as a communication tool, it is too bad for deaf people who dislike it very much."

That's why I question your credibility.

Calling people names won't make any difference unless you come up with credible posts like explain how much your hospital is involved with the language department and does your hospital know their concerns? Why is it so hard for you to avoid answering?

Why aren't you fighting for d/Deaf community? What are you so afraid of? Are you going to print flyers, and tell your friends?

There should be laws in Utah that will support accommodations. Federally it is the Americans with Disabilities act I believe. We always request interpreters and we always get them.

There should be laws in Utah that will support accommodations. Federally it is the Americans with Disabilities act I believe. We always request interpreters and we always get them.

Hi DOD,
Please read Jared Allebest's press release above your post. It will explain everything why it is the major problem in Utah. Also, it is the major problem nationally. He is a lawyer and works for Deaf clients who filed lawsuits against the hospital. Kim Smith is the president of Utah Association of the Deaf. She also is very involved in the protest. In my first post, you may recognize Kim Smith in YouTube videos who interviewed Deaf patients about what happened to them. You can turn on CC and read their stories. if you have any questions, I will do my best to answer your questions.

We have also used VRI and most of the time it works fine. There are times where we have experienced technical difficulties with making the connection. At that point, depending on the reason for the healthcare visit, we have the option to re-schedule with a live interpreter or give them time to get the technical difficulties worked out. That is a huge inconvenience for patients and in some cases may not even be an option but sadly it is reality. I would say if a provider consistently has issues with VRI then they should be made to get it fixed or provide live ASL interpreters or be held accountable for not upholding the ADA laws. If Jared is a lawyer then he should hopefully be able to get the hospital to do the right thing.

We have also used VRI and most of the time it works fine. There are times where we have experienced technical difficulties with making the connection. At that point, depending on the reason for the healthcare visit, we have the option to re-schedule with a live interpreter or give them time to get the technical difficulties worked out. That is a huge inconvenience for patients and in some cases may not even be an option but sadly it is reality. I would say if a provider consistently has issues with VRI then they should be made to get it fixed or provide live ASL interpreters or be held accountable for not upholding the ADA laws. If Jared is a lawyer then he should hopefully be able to get the hospital to do the right thing.

Jared is legit, trust me. I met him in person. I sure hope the hospitals will hear our voices, too.

Back