Using WebTel to listen to answering machines?

Presbyter

Reaction score
How do you use the WebTel to listen to what's left on your answering machines?

How do you use the WebTel to listen to what's left on your answering machines?

use webtel to call to your phone number and then enter special code (most starts with #) and then enter your pin number... and you will read your messages. OP will ask you if you want to delete or save it.

that's about it.

use webtel to call to your phone number and then enter special code (most starts with #) and then enter your pin number... and you will read your messages. OP will ask you if you want to delete or save it.

that's about it.

Mine isn't the kind that uses that type of listening. I have the simple answering machine that plays messages out loud. The Captel phone has a feature that allows you to put the mouthpiece to the answering machine and have them to listen/relay for you. I think the phone reverses the earpiece to the mouthpiece. I was wondering if I did the same with Webtell. I've read that the relay doesn't hear what the deaf caller say or only listens to one party and relays to the other party.

Mine isn't the kind that uses that type of listening. I have the simple answering machine that plays messages out loud. The Captel phone has a feature that allows you to put the mouthpiece to the answering machine and have them to listen/relay for you. I think the phone reverses the earpiece to the mouthpiece. I was wondering if I did the same with Webtell. I've read that the relay doesn't hear what the deaf caller say or only listens to one party and relays to the other party.

wow... sounds like you have a very ancient version of answering machine with a tape. pretty much all answering machine has a feature that allows you to access into the message with pin number anywhere. I suppose you should try what you just said. :dunno:

wow... sounds like you have a very ancient version of answering machine with a tape. pretty much all answering machine has a feature that allows you to access into the message with pin number anywhere. I suppose you should try what you just said. :dunno:

Sort of but let me put it in another way.
OHHH!
now you got me thinking. I wanted to say that I do have the feature where you call the number of my answering machine and order it to play back messages. I have only one line and it would'nt work if I pick up the phone to call through Webtel. The phone would be busy or in use if I tried to call my own phone number.
But you started my thinking process and now I know to use regular relay to call my answering machine while the phone is ~on~ the hook.

I guess thats the only way to do this. Right?

Sort of but let me put it in another way.
OHHH!
now you got me thinking. I wanted to say that I do have the feature where you call the number of my answering machine and order it to play back messages. I have only one line and it would'nt work if I pick up the phone to call through Webtel. The phone would be busy or in use if I tried to call my own phone number.
But you started my thinking process and now I know to use regular relay to call my answering machine while the phone is ~on~ the hook.

I guess thats the only way to do this. Right?

ooohh... I thought webtel is the online relay service. you should try using online relay service instead of webtel.

ooohh... I thought webtel is the online relay service. you should try using online relay service instead of webtel.

Webtel ~IS~ the online relay for both voice users on both ends. No typing- Two voices. One voice is captioned.

Captel is the phone that does everything automatically. One number to call on a two-line Captel. Two numbers to call on a single-line Captel. I'ts like a mini-webtel built into the captel phone.

For now, I wanted to use a regular phone and Webtel, til I get a better setup.

Follow?

Webtel ~IS~ the online relay for both voice users on both ends. No typing- Two voices. One voice is captioned.

Captel is the phone that does everything automatically. One number to call on a two-line Captel. Two numbers to call on a single-line Captel. I'ts like a mini-webtel built into the captel phone.

Follow?

yes I have CapTel. I was confused by your post that your phone would be busy if you tried to call your own number. Are you using modem for computer?

yes I have CapTel. I was confused by your post that your phone would be busy if you tried to call your own number. Are you using modem for computer?

AHHH creative question. I have DSL. So, if I can use the computer on line through DSL and also use the regular landline phone, then you can't call the same lindline phone to listen to your messages.
I guess the regular relay services would be the best way to call your own answering machine.

AHHH creative question. I have DSL. So, if I can use the computer on line through DSL and also use the regular landline phone, then you can't call the same lindline phone to listen to your messages.
I guess the regular relay services would be the best way to call your own answering machine.

ah-ha... yes with DSL - you can use computer and phone at same time so yes you should be able to use WebTel (or any other online relay service) to call your answering machine. no problem :)

Follow?

Hi I am using Webcaptel and regular phone with voicemail. It is ALOT better than using CapTel phone w/ancient answering machine with tape. My machine fell apart and it cost $$$ to repair. Gave up looking for new analog answering machine to replace. So I ended up using WebCapTel and got rid of my CapTel phone and use digital phone comes with voicemail (mainly at work). It's fantastic! Hope that helps you.

In the meantime I'm waiting for VP to work at my workplace for almost a year due to firewall on network's internet and DSL/cable network unavailability at my work location (3 buiding complex). On-going issue everyday. :hmm:

I think the feature for using WebCapTel to get answering machine messages is not available at this time. But you can contact CapTel customer service to confirm - captel@captelmail.com.

Back