Using Naughty Language

tbone

Reaction score
This a serious question for Deaf parents.

What do you do if you see your deaf child signing something naughty? Do Deaf parents tell their deaf children to wash their hands with very hot water and soap or do they hit their hands?

I'm just very curious. Thanks for answering.

This a serious question for Deaf parents.

What do you do if you see your deaf child signing something naughty? Do Deaf parents tell their deaf children to wash their hands with very hot water and soap or do they hit their hands?

I'm just very curious. Thanks for answering.

How about just explaining what is wrong? No need to hit or burn your child.

Reason with them.

We were discussing this is class today and were just curious.

Thanks for answering Bottesini. :)

People with a strong deaf culture tend to be more graphic in their signing and see nothing naughty with many words or terms hearing people do not publically use. The kids jst ape the parents language

People with a strong deaf culture tend to be more graphic in their signing and see nothing naughty with many words or terms hearing people do not publically use. The kids jst ape the parents language

this very true,if go to deaf clubs you may be shocked but normal it gets point over...putting childs hands under hot water rather cruel maybe you need parenting class on bringing up deaf child

What about defiant teenagers?
For example, in some families the teenagers start to wear clothing that is not very flattering (very short skirt, t-shirt that exposes midriff, low cut jeans, ripped clothes, unsafe clothes). A typical conversation in a hearing house might go something like this:

Mom: Child, what are you wearing?
Child: It's my clothes. I bought them. Leave me alone.
Mom: You're not going to school in that.
Child: I'll do whatever I want.
Mom: You need to change! You can't wear that.
Child: No! [lots of expletives here], mom! Leave me alone! (rages out the door)
Mom: Watch your language!
Child: [more expletives]!!

How would this conversation go down in a Deaf family?
Would the teenager and the mother ever reach a point where they are just exploding on each other? Or do they keep reasoning with each other?
Or is clothing, piercings, and tattoos a non-issue for most Deaf families?

What about defiant teenagers?
For example, in some families the teenagers start to wear clothing that is not very flattering (very short skirt, t-shirt that exposes midriff, low cut jeans, ripped clothes, unsafe clothes). A typical conversation in a hearing house might go something like this:

Mom: Child, what are you wearing?
Child: It's my clothes. I bought them. Leave me alone.
Mom: You're not going to school in that.
Child: I'll do whatever I want.
Mom: You need to change! You can't wear that.
Child: No! [lots of expletives here], mom! Leave me alone! (rages out the door)
Mom: Watch your language!
Child: [more expletives]!!

How would this conversation go down in a Deaf family?
Or is clothing, piercings, and tattoos a non-issue for most Deaf families?

like in every other family,i imagine this been said world over by mums dads teenagers and will to world ends..my parents said that to me so i waited until out of hawk eyes sight and hoiked it up.
i once called my mother a bitch next thing i was flying threw air with clump from dad...i was lucky short skirts not issue with my son but noikia trainers were and he did not get them....swearing !well he went to boys school i told him if he needed verbal release get his grammer right as mine is awful and he could get more over with well aimed phrase..he once asked about tats and we agreed over 18 by that time he was at univercity and change his mind......i never had situation i needed stick his hands under hot water

The "F-U" word....not in my home....but it's happened and believe me, my boys got an ear full of my rage!...I see it all the time among teens everywhere I go, even the grocery store....

I/ve always grounded my boys for infractions such as this, and taken away things they enjoy playing with (electronics, guitar, etc.), for several weeks, even more....

Raising teenagers, hearing or deaf...is not an easy job.....and we can only do the best we can do.

I have found it's a regional thing or maybe a personal thing - I had a Deaf ASL teacher who grew up in Israel and lived in Montreal, she was shy about telling us a naughty sign - wouldn't even tell us what it meant, just "never do this!" But most of the people in my office have no fear of using any sign they want, naughty or otherwise - they have more of the "bluntness" or plain-spoken-ness some people associate with Deaf culture.

I have found it's a regional thing or maybe a personal thing - I had a Deaf ASL teacher who grew up in Israel and lived in Montreal, she was shy about telling us a naughty sign - wouldn't even tell us what it meant, just "never do this!" But most of the people in my office have no fear of using any sign they want, naughty or otherwise - they have more of the "bluntness" or plain-spoken-ness some people associate with Deaf culture.
I've heard and read about bluntnes in Deaf culture but I haven't experienced it in person. One example that I remember is when my friend was learning colors in class, one person signed "pink" from the nose instead of the chin. The teacher's reaction was "oh lol make sure to sign from the chin. If you sign from the nose, it means penis." She also mentioned when they were learning the regional version of pizza (tap index finger and thumb onto corners of the mouth) that if they do it with an L hand it can mean "lesbian".

It is a college class, but still.. not something you would expect a hearing teacher to say in, for example, a Spanish class.

There's also this video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T5Giorr4YI]Deaf Culture: Openness (ASL) - YouTube[/ame]
But since it's on the internet, it might be made up... who knows? :hmm:

no get what you mean what wrong teacher showing sign for lesbian

You have to teach your children from the day they are born what is right and wrong. You can't expect to put your child in front of the TV as a babysitter and then check back into their lives when their teens. I can honestly say that all three of my adult children are the most compassionate people I know. Christmas time in our family we always adopt a less fortunate family. My kids learned early on that asking for a lot of non essential toys was not right when this adopted family were asking for pj's, blankets and slippers. More parents need to take the time because if you wait until their teens you are out of luck! IMO

Well, I had my butt busted by my grandfather plenty of times....(no parents)...Now-a-days, it's child abuse...And I grew up OK...respect my elders, etc.

If there is one thing I've learned while slowly becoming active in the Deaf community, then it is the fact that Deaf people are extremely blunt and are not afraid to tell others how they feel because it is apart of their culture. They value information sharing! They cannot get enough of it. So can they relay a message if they do not know how the other person feels? They cannot unless the person is using facial expressions.

If there is one thing I've learned while slowly becoming active in the Deaf community, then it is the fact that Deaf people are extremely blunt and are not afraid to tell others how they feel because it is apart of their culture. They value information sharing! They cannot get enough of it. So can they relay a message if they do not know how the other person feels? They cannot unless the person is using facial expressions.

You make a good point here. But why?

My theory or take on this is :

everyone has a limit on how much info they can take or naturally need to absorb by minimum. With hearing people - they dont realize it but what they hear is information. they are used to hearing things - not just conversation but can be sounds. Politeness comes from too much information overload. With deaf - because they dont hear sounds, or is limited to certain sounds at any given time - the deaf sees the exact same amount of "data" same as hearing - but lacking sound data . So they are starving for more data -- so bluntness is the only way to gain that extra data. ;)

Anyways - thats my take on it. :D

You make a good point here. But why?

My theory or take on this is :

everyone has a limit on how much info they can take or naturally need to absorb by minimum. With hearing people - they dont realize it but what they hear is information. they are used to hearing things - not just conversation but can be sounds. Politeness comes from too much information overload. With deaf - because they dont hear sounds, or is limited to certain sounds at any given time - the deaf sees the exact same amount of "data" same as hearing - but lacking sound data . So they are starving for more data -- so bluntness is the only way to gain that extra data. ;)

Anyways - thats my take on it. :D
totaly agree that is how it is

Back