Using Hearing Aids as Recording Devices

DeafBadger

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to use a hearing aid as a recording device?

I was just thinking about it because, I know some hearing people who have used digital recorders in business environments for legal reasons or CYA reasons or just to keep track of what was said in a conversation.

It occurs to me that deaf people may be vulnerable in business environments to people who might try to get deaf people to agree to something without knowing that others are setting them up. How to protect against this? Maybe use a recording device.

Hearing aids are already a microphone ... so I just wonder if there is a way to record? I'm guessing that some hearing aid designs are rebroadcasting audio signals, and doing this in the clear, so perhaps this could be picked up and recorded.

Just tossing this out there and seeing if anyone else has thought about this.

That would be wicked cool if anyone ever thought of creating that feature...:D. Who knows, it may not be that far off in the future...

Laura

Cool idea. Imagine not having to say "could you repeat that?". With a recording feature one could just hit the "replay" button.

Cool idea. Imagine not having to say "could you repeat that?". With a recording feature one could just hit the "replay" button.

"Hold on a second." (Hits repeat button 12 times.)

"Okay got it now, now you can continue speaking." :lol:

You are talking about hearing aid DVR? <grin>

If NSA, DOD, or my company ever found out that my HA have ability to record it... they will not let me to use HA in top secret room... I'm f*cked for that!

Added: If this is true, that means the company will HAVE to hire full time terp because frequently there's a last minute needing me to go into the SCIF and will need terp for that.

You are talking about hearing aid DVR? <grin>

If NSA, DOD, or my company ever found out that my HA have ability to record it... they will not let me to use HA in top secret room... I'm f*cked for that!

Added: If this is true, that means the company will HAVE to hire full time terp because frequently there's a last minute needing me to go into the SCIF and will need terp for that.

Yeah, I imagine if this ever happened, a lot of people would become paranoid of anyone with hearing aids. :lol:

As far as I know, this has never been done with hearing aids.

Variants of these devices exist, just look up any espionage story concerning diplomatic embassies.

Badger, that is a great idea you just came up with! since its not available yet and yet you came up with it, why not do something about it and try to patent the idea? talk to some people who specialize in that area and come up with a plan and patent... you just might make some money off that dude!

if i was you i'd do that.

hearing aid recording

Badger, you are definitely on to something here. I'm a newbie and hard of hearing only a rather short time (battery explosion didn't help). Tried an expensive set of digital (fancy) hearing aids that didn't really help. All my old friends have had similar experiences so is probably universal. So many of friends have agreed with me that the problem is not so much volume, or even totally slipped frequency deficits, but SPEED!. When people that I ordinarily have a bit of trouble hearing completely (my wife, for ex) slow down a bit that solves the problem. Therefore, what I want is for an aid that blocks the ear canal and records incoming sound, digitally records it, maybe even filters and otherwise massages it like ordinary hearing aids, and then plays it back, at a slightly (3 milliseconds?) slower speed, that would be a tremendous boon. Let me know when your prototype is ready. ken

I'm not building one. I just asked if there was something like it out there already. If anyone else wants to try building one, go right ahead! :)

Is it possible to use a hearing aid as a recording device?

I was just thinking about it because, I know some hearing people who have used digital recorders in business environments for legal reasons or CYA reasons or just to keep track of what was said in a conversation.

It occurs to me that deaf people may be vulnerable in business environments to people who might try to get deaf people to agree to something without knowing that others are setting them up. How to protect against this? Maybe use a recording device.

Hearing aids are already a microphone ... so I just wonder if there is a way to record? I'm guessing that some hearing aid designs are rebroadcasting audio signals, and doing this in the clear, so perhaps this could be picked up and recorded.

Just tossing this out there and seeing if anyone else has thought about this.

Possible.. aids have in-built storage, they can (and do) record usage information, so they should be able to record speech. HA manufacturers are probably not going to do this because of the legal issues with recording in public places.

Back