Using an interpreter

Valorrian

Reaction score
I’m curious do use an interpreter, write or text when going to dr. or bank or something private? I can see using an interpreter at church and school something public with lots of people, info for all to see but not sure about one on one personal stuff. The interpreter is a stranger and not sure I’d be comfortable with them knowing about my personal affairs. How do you handle this?

It’s part of an interpreters job, and they are required not to say anything about what happens in interpreting assignments. Just like doctors cannot talk about thie patients, an interpreter doesn’t tell other people about their clients.

I prefer a professional interpreter compared to someone I know. If a family member or friend tries to interpret, it’s difficult for them to interpret everything correctly. For example, if you are visiting the doctor and get bad news, then a friend will be sad and will want to comfort you. It is better to have an objective interpreter that focuses on making sure the communication between you and the doctor works well.

Being on the other side of this, I work at a hospital and we get deaf patients, I really appreciate it when the patient requests an interpreter. Even though I can sign to an ok degree, there are times I'm asking really complex medical questions that I don't know how to sign. Having the interpreter there is a comfort for me and the patient. And just like a medical professional, the interpreter is ethically bound to keep your information private. And if they don't, they can lose their license.

You can. Though depending on your area that may be difficult to get what you want. There are very few male interpreters locally for me. So, getting one is difficult. They're usually already on assignment. But most agencies try to make accommodations for gender preference. Especially if it's something sensitive like a gynecological appt.

I sent an e-mail to a church that I am thinking of going to and asked if they had any interpreters for the deaf. Here is the response that I got.

We currently do not but if you can assist us in getting the information with interpreters I think that would be great!
With Love in the Lord,
+Rev. Fr. Sampson

A very positive response. The priest seems very receptive. I just don't know how to get that info. I've never used an interpreter. I am still learning ASL. Where would I look to get him information about interpreters for church? I thought the church would know how to do this.

Most places don't know how unfortunately. I ran into that when I went to Utah. Had to help them and direct them where to go or who to talk to (Luckily the program I attended was affiliated with UofU anyway so got services through their interpreting department :). With churches- I sometimes wonder if they even DO use certified interpreters.. larger churches do- I know one here does.

But MAYBE first step is to look up your state's Deaf & Hard of Hearing state department - sometimes they may list interpreter agencies. If you are near a deaf school, ask them for referrals. I tend to google and search that way to at least get a lead then go from there.

Hope you have better luck than I did getting a "female" interpreter for my physical (as I am female)….Also, having an interpreter that is certified in medical terminology for doctor's appts....and for any Court Cases, one that is certified in Law terminology….ask for one before your appt. ...Unfortunately, an Interpreter for Church?...You might have to pay for that...There are many Churches that do have Interpreters and a number of deafies...but I'm not sure if they are Certified....I've seen a lot of hearies interpreting some Church services and songs and could not understand what they were saying...novices and still learning ASL..

I sent an e-mail to a church that I am thinking of going to and asked if they had any interpreters for the deaf. Here is the response that I got.

We currently do not but if you can assist us in getting the information with interpreters I think that would be great!
With Love in the Lord,
+Rev. Fr. Sampson

A very positive response. The priest seems very receptive. I just don't know how to get that info. I've never used an interpreter. I am still learning ASL. Where would I look to get him information about interpreters for church? I thought the church would know how to do this.
Are you, pardon the pun, hell bent on going to this particular church? Many churches already have interpreted services. I live in Harrisburg, PA, and I know we have 2 or 3 churches in the local area that already have services that are interpreted. So you may just not be looking at the right church. Unless there is something specific about this church that you like and want to continue with it.

Valorrian, one question: are you looking for an ASL-interpreted church? I just ask because I thought you indicated in your other posts that you don't know ASL yet. If you're just looking for "down the road", that's great! (and I apologize if I'm wrong about you not knowing sign yet.)

Valorrian, one question: are you looking for an ASL-interpreted church? I just ask because I thought you indicated in your other posts that you don't know ASL yet. If you're just looking for "down the road", that's great! (and I apologize if I'm wrong about you not knowing sign yet.)

You are right AlleyCat. I am not fluent in ASL yet. I am learning though. I'm trying to figure out how I am going to move forward in my life. I don't know where I belong or what I am doing. But I'm going to explore all my options. For two years I felt sorry for myself and I'm sick of feeling that way.

I get very anxious and have panic attacks when I go out at times. My therapist suggested that church would be a "safe place" for me to go without any pressure to interact with deaf or hearing. I could sit back and just watch. I wouldn't be put on the spot to sign to anyone and if I didn't understand the interpreter it would be ok. It would be a learning experience. I've been watching the Mass signed by a priest for months now on the internet. I understand it well enough. I grew up in the church so it's basically the same thing each week. What I'd need to watch is the sermon since that would be different from week to week and it's not written down.

Last edited:
Are you, pardon the pun, hell bent on going to this particular church? Many churches already have interpreted services. I live in Harrisburg, PA, and I know we have 2 or 3 churches in the local area that already have services that are interpreted. So you may just not be looking at the right church. Unless there is something specific about this church that you like and want to continue with it.

My local catholic church doesn't have an interpreter so I was e-mailing some other churches to see if they had an interpreter set up already. I just got that one response back. The other churches didn't respond to my e-mail. I do know of a church that has an interpreter but it is about 45 minutes away from my house. I was hoping to find something closer as I get very anxious driving and going out for a long period of time.

You are right AlleyCat. I am not fluent in ASL yet. I am learning though. I'm trying to figure out how I am going to move forward in my life. I don't know where I belong or what I am doing. But I'm going to explore all my options. For two years I felt sorry for myself and I'm sick of feeling that way.

I get very anxious and have panic attacks when I go out at times. My therapist suggested that church would be a "safe place" for me to go without any pressure to interact with deaf or hearing. I could sit back and just watch. I wouldn't be put on the spot to sign to anyone and if I didn't understand the interpreter it would be ok. It would be a learning experience. I've been watching the Mass signed by a priest for months now on the internet. I understand it well enough. I grew up in the church so it's basically the same thing each week. What I'd need to watch is the sermon since that would be different from week to week and it's not written down.
That is a great start! And, you might be able to get an outline of the sermon directly from the pastor too.

I did e-mail the church near my house and asked about deaf ministries. I asked too if they didn't have anything could I get a copy of the sermon or if they knew of a church that had services. I didn't get a reply. I might have e-mail again or call.

I am not Catholic but a member of a church that is part of the United Church of Christ. We are currently a "teaching" church working with students from Eden Seminary in St. Louis. Thus, we change Pastors more often. Our previous one was just hard enough for me to "read" that I asked about a copy of his sermons. It turned out he did not write them out but preached from notes which I think may be the case where you asked.

Back to the rest of what has happened to me. He offered copies of his notes and I did find them helpful. Then when the next one (who we currently have) came he started giving copies of his entire sermons! Most Sundays he has several copies on a small table where we also pick up of copy of that Sunday's order of worship (includes printout of scripture and what hymns (list of hymn name & page # in hymnal) and also separate sheets with large print copies of that Sunday's hymns. I have noticed that others do pickup copies of his sermons.

Hopefully it will just be a matter of you getting your request to the right person as I get the impression that you are talking about a quite large congregation that may have quite a staff.

The church has 5 different mass times. Yes it is large. I thought for sure they would have an interpreter and I just didn’t know. Yeah it might be hard to get a copy of the sermon. I’ll keep praying about this.

Is there any pattern to which priest conducts the service at which mass time? If there is, could you contact that priest directly for help getting a printed copy of the sermon or help getting an interpreter?

Being on the other side of this, I work at a hospital and we get deaf patients, I really appreciate it when the patient requests an interpreter. Even though I can sign to an ok degree, there are times I'm asking really complex medical questions that I don't know how to sign. Having the interpreter there is a comfort for me and the patient. And just like a medical professional, the interpreter is ethically bound to keep your information private. And if they don't, they can lose their license.
My issue with this is even as a signer I don’t understand all the medical terms myself. Too often interpreters are over my head and then not beneficial.

My issue with this is even as a signer I don’t understand all the medical terms myself. Too often interpreters are over my head and then not beneficial.

That seems to me to be an issue with what the doctor is saying rather than the interpreter's signing. Have you tried asking the doctor to explain in less technical terms?

Back