Useful Dog Tricks!

:wave: Jen, I've seen that - that is cute - and behaviorally quite useful. Gives the little Terrier something to do and helps him bond with his people; also helps him learn to learn.

Both my girls will open and close doors for me and the adult Rottie will get items off the floor.

That was very impressive ! I wish I could train Marty to pick up my keys for me if I drop them and do not realize it.

Jack Russel Terrier rules! Very similiar to our Jack Russel Terrier, she knows how to open doors, and knows how to ask for sumthin.

Now, what I'M trying to figure out is how to train my CATS to do all that! (Yeah right--never happen! They have ME trained!)

:P

Jen M.

:wave:Jen, if interested, here's a thought - all organisms do what is reinforcing for them. Cats- same.
what is reinforcing for cats? opportunities for something they like to do or have - go explore, play with objects, hunt....including simulating hunting or meaty prey by having meaty treats.

so, if you want to get your cat to come to you, for example, have a piece of something meaty or stinky you know she's likes and let her know you have it - the instant she shows interest in it or moves at all toward it - mark that with a visual or verbal signal that lets her know she's doing the right thing, and then let her have the goodie. There's alot more to it but the idea is - get the behavior or some semblance of it, reinforce attempts, use rewards that the animal likes. Works across species.

Wow...what a dog!...I've heard Jack Russell's are very smart.....I sat my own doggie (a Pomeranian) in my lap to watch this video....she barked!....Guess she was saying..."If ur so smart...how come you don't have my mommy"? :giggle:

Wish she could learn these tricks!

You probably could. It would take time and patience, but it can be done.

Jen M.

When I play with Marty by throwing a toy for him I tell him to "pick it up"
hoping he will understand what "pick it up" means. He is very smart , he is part poodle .

ive got a britney spaniel....needless to say hes a bum aha but hes cute and fluffy so its okay :P

Poodles are very smart. Especially standard poodles.

Jen M.

Finlay , was a standard poodle and he was very smart ! A guy threw a tennis ball to Finlay and Finlay threw it back to the guy with his nose! The guy could not believe it, he thought Finlay was going to catch the ball in his mouth.

I vaguely remember reading a long time ago that standard poodles were once used as police dogs in Europe or somewhere.

Jen M.

:jaw:

That dog is more mechanically-inclined than several people I know. She's got to be worth her weight in gold.

I had a neighbor who had trained his Chesapeake Bay Retriever to open up the refrigerator and fetch him a beer, but I have a feeling this little Jesse could fetch a beer and whip up a cocktail on the side. Amazing!

I vaguely remember reading a long time ago that standard poodles were once used as police dogs in Europe or somewhere.

Jen M.

Real French Poodles: Standard Poodles from the Languedoc, South of France

this web site said poodles made excellence police dogs.
Finlay was very protected of me . I stayed at a hotel with my daughter and when we where leaving our room a guy was in the hallway and Finlay growled at the guy! My daughter and I felt very safe sleeping that night at the hotel
with Finlay on the job! Finlay was my hearing dog that we brought along for protection on our trip.

:jaw:

That dog is more mechanically-inclined than several people I know. She's got to be worth her weight in gold.

I had a neighbor who had trained his Chesapeake Bay Retriever to open up the refrigerator and fetch him a beer, but I have a feeling this little Jesse could fetch a beer and whip up a cocktail on the side. Amazing!

i'd say!...

Standard Poodles actually are great working dogs and Poodles in general can still be used for water retrieving, which is what they were originally bred for and explains those "cuts" you still see in the show ring.
Though water trials for Poodles are rare in the U.S. now.

Back