Useful Apps?

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just got an Android phone so yes, there are so many apps. To those who have had these phones or know a lot about the different apps that are out there, which apps do you like or use often and why?

Me..

I use the BankofAmerica, WeatherBug, Facebook, And Redbox Apps the most.

I just wanted to know what's out there and if it would be worth for me which is why I created this thread.

Just downloaded the GasBuddy app 5 mins ago.

Get the shopper/barcode scanner app. You scan the barcode of the product your looking at and it tells you what other stores in your area sell it and what their prices are for the same product. I don't have this app but I can definitely see where I would use it. If I can get it cheaper elsewhere then I will go elsewhere.

I'm told there is a TomTom app available with an annual subscription that turns your phone into a TomTom for when you are traveling.

I have lots of apps on my iPhone 4. My most favorite apps are Skype, Z4, Meebo, Espn, Chase, weather, and CineXPlayer.

Shel, I'm glad that you brought up this thread for the Android apps since I recently ordered an Android smartphone too but awaiting for its arrival soon so it would be cool learning from others who use it... what apps and reasons etc.

Plan to install P3 (a must), Roboform, Colts news, NCAA football news, and Weatherbug... might be few more apps. GasBuddy would be great so will add that.

I am not sure if it's safe to use BoA app though?! (wireless, ye know so is it really safe?)

Here is the Android App market link in case others do not know it exists or may be curious to check them out: https://market.android.com/apps/

Android! :thumb:

I am not sure if it's safe to use BoA app though?! (wireless, ye know so is it really safe?)

Now you have me wondering. I will be getting an android next week and wonder about this. Does android have some kind of firewall or security protection?

Get the shopper/barcode scanner app. You scan the barcode of the product your looking at and it tells you what other stores in your area sell it and what their prices are for the same product. I don't have this app but I can definitely see where I would use it. If I can get it cheaper elsewhere then I will go elsewhere.

I'm told there is a TomTom app available with an annual subscription that turns your phone into a TomTom for when you are traveling.

What is a TomTom? lol

Shel, I'm glad that you brought up this thread for the Android apps since I recently ordered an Android smartphone too but awaiting for its arrival soon so it would be cool learning from others who use it... what apps and reasons etc.

Plan to install P3 (a must), Roboform, Colts news, NCAA football news, and Weatherbug... might be few more apps. GasBuddy would be great so will add that.

Here is the Android App market link in case others do not know it exists or may be curious to check them out: https://market.android.com/apps/

Android! :thumb:

Roboform? I tried that, hated it, I got Lastpass and works great on computer and on Andriod.

Now you have me wondering. I will be getting an android next week and wonder about this. Does android have some kind of firewall or security protection?

I got Lookout, it's great. Got all the securities needed. Can even find the phone using gps and map it out on website. Can also make the phone scream which is very loud. I was surprised how loud it is.

I got Lookout, it's great. Got all the securities needed. Can even find the phone using gps and map it out on website. Can also make the phone scream which is very loud. I was surprised how loud it is.

Yes, I have that one too..

All internet banking on wireless devices are ecrypted (and high security)

What is a TomTom? lol

Secretblend is correct. It gives you turn by turn directions when traveling. If you have a large enough screen and it is dash mounted it might be able to give a readout of the directions rather than voice directions, but I'm not 100% sure as I do not own an Android phone. My brother does so I will ask him the next time he's here. I will have to check the app store for the TomTom app specifics.

I will be getting an iPhone 4 soon and I will be looking up apps that I will find useful. My top must haves include:

TWC (The Weather Channel)
GasBuddy
SmartShopper w/ barcode and captcha capabilities.
ASL Dictionary
Spanish Dictionary
Google Maps
FaceBook
Gmail

I am sure I will pick up others along the way, but those are the ones I'm interested in purchasing from the App Store.

On a different but similar note while working at the chicken houses today I got to thinking about all the regulations and specifications that USDA-FSIS inspectors must remember and that several of them carry small notepads around with them with certain regs scrawled down and I thought - most USDA Inspectors carry Advanced Smartphones such as iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone 7. I think it would be easier to create an app that had all these regs and specifications along with regulation codes (JOCO2 C.R.14 = fecal failure) in an app that can be referenced to that has all the regs in the app. When working the floor if they come along something that they know is not kosher but unsure of what specific regulation it falls under, or if it actually falls under several which one should be the primary they can pull this out and quickly look it up when doing the immediate documentation procedures. When they enter it into the database from the office they can go into further detail using the standards book (which is HOOGE). I just thought this might be useful. But two main problems:
1. I have no idea of how to create such an app
2. I would need government approval for the information to be released for such an app for smartphones as well as approval from Apple. The government would probably want this heavily regulated to the point that in order to download the app your supervisor must first approve the phone and software version according to government recommendations/regulations and you must submit your badge number, and one password in order to download it as well as when the app is loaded you must enter a password utilize it.

Not likely that this will ever happen but just a thought I had. :|

I wish AllDeaf had an app!

Roboform? I tried that, hated it, I got Lastpass and works great on computer and on Andriod.

Roboform works great for me since several years though did not try it on Android yet. I just learned about the Lastpass last week while surfing and somehow it got my attention... looks like cool products there. Good for you.

Back