USA - School Shooting

Classmates often know when a student is ready to strike back. Parents hear rumblings and have accurate gut sensations.

I read a few articles about the Ohio shooting and all of the students, some of them friends of T.J, said they did not see this coming. He was described as quiet and private, but not angry. Besides the poem he wrote on his facebook page back in December, there does not seem to be any indication of "striking back".

And this is true for all the school shootings: it was always a shock. Parents, families, teachers, classmates, and community members are always left reeling in the aftermath. Even with warning signs, they aren't always... almost never, really... noticeable. It isn't until people look back they start to notice things.

So anyway, no... I don't agree with the author on that part. Other than that, it's a fairly well written article.

All high school shootings occurred at sleepy preppy schools in nice suburb area. All shooters were victim of bullying or abuse. It would be very sad to see such nice schools like that to get fenced up and armed like ghetto schools in gang-infested LA.

I don't think all the shooters have been victims of bullying. That's the media meme, and that's what they initially reported about Columbine, but I saw later news stories admitting it wasn't true.
Those boys were just psychopaths.

The boy will be tried as an adult....fair enough, I say. And things of this nature have happened time and time again. WHEN, if ever, are the authorities gonna wake up, and put the PARENTS/guardians on trial as an accessory to murder?......

Parents are responsible for their child's well-being. They can go to Court, and subsequently to jail if their child has missed too many days of school....

How did this Teenager get a hold of a gun?

I don't think all the shooters have been victims of bullying. That's the media meme, and that's what they initially reported about Columbine, but I saw later news stories admitting it wasn't true.
Those boys were just psychopaths.

You're correct about Columbine shooting but as for rest, they were either a victim of bullying or abuse.

How did this Teenager get a hold of a gun?

wow I can't believe I didn't realize this. Now I've gotta do some digging but I haven't really focused much on this tragedy.

I feel I'm doing my part regarding family values and moral ethic. Maybe not perfectly so, but I'm aware of my boys whereabouts, what they do, who they hang with, etc., etc.

The high school they attend has lock-downs at least once a month. Even last week I could not take out my sons for their dental appts., so I had to reschedule......There are really some bad kids out there, even gangs who come onto the school grounds, even tho' the school has guards.....The kids are not allowed to carry book bags to school anymore either. So many rules they have now.

Most school shootings are by some smart-ass punks who are just wannabe big shots.....others, my guess is mental illness/anger. And I find the Parents at fault....surely, they should have noticed something was wrong with their son and gotten help before it escalated.
I would not had let any school tell me when I could take my own child out of school. I took my child out of one school as I did not like how it was be run. The principle tried to talk me out of this as the school would lose money.

It looks like all schools will have start having metal detectors and cops to made sure no one is bring bring any weapons in. This is so tragic, something needs to be be done so this will not happen anymore.

I would not had let any school tell me when I could take my own child out of school. I took my child out of one school as I did not like how it was be run. The principle tried to talk me out of this as the school would lose money.

It looks like all schools will have start having metal detectors and cops to made sure no one is bring bring any weapons in. This is so tragic, something needs to be be done so this will not happen anymore.

I was not disenrolling my teens....and during lock-downs, there is no entry and no leaving, staying in the classrooms, safety precautions. Security was everywhere. They had dental appts., and I had to reschedule. Of course it made me angry and disgruntled, but nothing I could do there.

The schools here in Duval County do have metal detectors and security has tasers (altho' I've read they are trying to stop this practice). When parents "wake up", making sure their kids are not taking knives, guns, or any other weapon to school, respecting their elders and teachers, and realize that they are going to school for an education, not gang-banging or fighting, it might improve somewhat.

Metal detectors are not foolproof against weapons.

No, but they help a great deal.
They can also produce a false sense of security.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many school shootings have been foiled by metal detectors? Or, if any school shootings have occurred despite metal detectors being present? :hmm:

There's nothing to stop a shooting from occurring in the school parking lot, playground, or bus stop. Also, a determined shooter can shoot his way thru the metal detector.

They do make the detector salesmen happy to put them in every school. :giggle:

No, but they help a great deal.

but is it necessary in this civilized modern world? Many schools even in Africa and other countries don't have metal detectors.... and we need it?

do we truly live in a paranoid country? is this country really unsafe to live in like Africa and South America? is it really necessary to militarize our police officers and to fortify ourselves over rare incidents? how much more do we need to feel safe and secured?

I would be very sad to see if this is commonplace in America

metal-detectors-schools.jpg

knife-searches-415x310.jpg

metaldetect2.jpg

221953_10150236369421031_58947961030_8935179_7045848_n.jpg

20120112_metal-detector_33.jpg

I mean seriously? really? airports. stadiums. court houses. and now public schools??? :(

They can also produce a false sense of security.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many school shootings have been foiled by metal detectors? Or, if any school shootings have occurred despite metal detectors being present? :hmm:

There's nothing to stop a shooting from occurring in the school parking lot, playground, or bus stop. Also, a determined shooter can shoot his way thru the metal detector.

They do make the detector salesmen happy to put them in every school. :giggle:

but is it necessary in this civilized modern world? Many schools even in Africa and other countries don't have metal detectors.... and we need it?

do we truly live in a paranoid country? is this country really unsafe to live in like Africa and South America? is it really necessary to militarize our police officers and to fortify ourselves over rare incidents? how much more do we need to feel safe and secured?

I don't disagree with you two but when it comes to our kids, it's hard to imagine not installing every possible safety feature we can.... Especially when something like this happens and someone with a mind as young and immature as TJ's does something as senseless as killing 3 equally young and more innocent children.

I would be very sad to see if this is commonplace in America

I mean seriously? really? airports. stadiums. court houses. and now public schools??? :(
Did you notice, it's not just more equipment but also more trained personnel that are included? That's an additional expense.

I don't disagree with you two but when it comes to our kids, it's hard to imagine not installing every possible safety feature we can.... Especially when something like this happens and someone with a mind as young and immature as TJ's does something as senseless as killing 3 equally young and more innocent children.

It is actually very hard for me to imagine putting metal detectors in schools and having our kids patted down on daily basis. This tells me that my kids are not safe there and that I should either home-school my kids or put them in private schools. So no I'm not going to erode away our rights and freedom for the sake of safety and security over rare incidents. Many parents move to nice quiet suburbs for better quality of life and security... and now they're going to see public schools getting fortified like Fort Knox?

I'd also like our schools and parents to diligently ensure that our children are not being bullied or neglected. I would like our legislators to empower school officials with legal authority to handle bullying/harassment/etc. of all forms such as cyberbullying.

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Back