USA - School Shooting

Did you notice, it's not just more equipment but also more trained personnel that are included? That's an additional expense.

exactly my thought. If Ohio legislators passed a bill requiring schools to have metal detectors... I would say - good luck with funds!

All these funds that will go to buying metal detectors and hiring personnel can be better spent on improving school's quality of life and academic standard, creating more after-school programs, and funding Big Brother/Big Sister programs.

I would be very sad to see if this is commonplace in America

metal-detectors-schools.jpg

knife-searches-415x310.jpg

metaldetect2.jpg

221953_10150236369421031_58947961030_8935179_7045848_n.jpg

20120112_metal-detector_33.jpg

I mean seriously? really? airports. stadiums. court houses. and now public schools??? :(

Don't forget about job too. My old job (Canon)'s security use hand metal detectors and wall metal detectors for seven years. I walked thru to exit of build only to avoid from steal the parts from Canon since 2000. It was not big deal to me.

Don't forget about job too. My old job (Canon)'s security use hand metal detectors and wall metal detectors for seven years. I walked thru to exit of build only to avoid from steal the parts from Canon since 2000. It was not big deal to me.

Companies are not public space.

I'm referring to public areas where people are subjected to security screenings. Private establishment is of no concern to me because they can do whatever they want and it's entirely up to you to not go there if it bothers you.

But when it comes to public area, it does bother me if it's unnecessary and I have no choice.

I would be very sad to see if this is commonplace in America

metal-detectors-schools.jpg

knife-searches-415x310.jpg

metaldetect2.jpg

221953_10150236369421031_58947961030_8935179_7045848_n.jpg

20120112_metal-detector_33.jpg

I mean seriously? really? airports. stadiums. court houses. and now public schools??? :(

Some public LA schools have like that, ugh.

exactly my thought. If Ohio legislators passed a bill requiring schools to have metal detectors... I would say - good luck with funds!

All these funds that will go to buying metal detectors and hiring personnel can be better spent on improving school's quality of life and academic standard, creating more after-school programs, and funding Big Brother/Big Sister programs.

Yup, that's true and I'm oppose to metal detectors in public school and public universities.

we need more teachers like this -

MV5BMjA1MTczNzUzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg4NzcxMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR13,0,214,317_.jpg

Fathers who act like fathers, love their children and stay involved in their kids' lives would help more.
But I don't know how to make fathers step up to the plate.

Not all children have fathers and some of them never see father after divorce or move away.

Schools should allow staffs or teachers to arm themselves for obvious reasons. To prevent from killing and harming students and adults.

I'm not sure how I feel about this? Sounds scary for one! Who to arm? Training, training, training! I think I like the idea of armed security better than armed staff. From a security standpoint you must know at all times who is armed, trained and ready to respond and who will respond!

I'm not sure how I feel about this? Sounds scary for one! Who to arm? Training, training, training! I think I like the idea of armed security better than armed staff. From a security standpoint you must know at all times who is armed, trained and ready to respond and who will respond!

Armed police officers are existed at LA public school for many years.

It won't defer shooters to take victim life and just more fast to response.

If you read the old thread I provided, you'll see some posts have valid explanations. I know my posts are so old that I don't support anymore.

If you read the old thread I provided, you'll see some posts have valid explanations. I know my posts are so old that I don't support anymore.

Oh no, I'm not totally against it. It might actually work if done properly. But the right people have to know who is armed and be well trained and only certain people are capable of doing this. It is not for everyone on staff.

Armed guards at schools? That's just very disheartening. It's like 7-11 at late night.

I do know that here in my County, I have heard that there are arme3d police officers in all public schools, private schools and charter schools. There are metal detectors and drug sniffing dogs.

Oh no, I'm not totally against it. It might actually work if done properly. But the right people have to know who is armed and be well trained and only certain people are capable of doing this. It is not for everyone on staff.

No, you misunderstand me. I mean, I think staffs and/or teachers should allow to bring their guns. Noted, I am not saying it is requirement...

I stongly agree with RR. I think it is very important that parents spend more time with their kids when they become teens. Keep them involved in sports. Karate is an excellent after school activity. Teaches them self respect and respect for others. Also, you can find free classes at the Y. It is harder for them to get into trouble if their tired at night!!!!

No, you misunderstand me. I mean, I think staffs and/or teachers should allow to bring their guns. Noted, I am not saying it is requirement...

Where would they keep their guns? On their person?....Surely not in their desk drawer, with 20-30 rowdy teenagers in class.....Somehow, I cannot vision the teachers and staffs walking around with guns on their person! Not in schools.....And I do believe 2 teenagers could easily overpower a female teacher and take the gun away if they wanted to.....Plus, too many guns in a school with teachers/staffs carrying them....And if the occasion arose, I don't believe some teachers would have the nerve to draw a gun....

I've no qualms with techers/staffs carrying tasers. Even pepper spray. But surely not guns.

My two daughters attend U.C. Davis...the "Pepper Spraying School" as it is now known world wide for!! Not quite the education I was hoping I would be spending my hard earned cash on. I really do not know the answers. But, it all scares me. Esoecially when it hits close to home.

Hey, I am no expert on everything. But, I understand your concerns. I even dislike the idea of guns in schools, yet school shootings are still happening... adults and students even didn't notice warning signs until they actually entered fatal situations.

If guns are no-no, then how would and what should they do for protecting students and adults from gunners? Probably nothing, I think... But, I second a few AD'ers about training students with common morals (I am not saying that religious morals or something. It's about common sense on morality, like basic morals.), teaching about being bully is wrong, no means no & yes means yes, and so on. Because they should be taught... Also, I wish parents take their kids more seriously... it seems it is a lack of parental involvement in our society. :(

Back