ur family deaf or hearing?

Beauty2Girls

Reaction score
just wondering, any of ur parent, sisters and/or brothers are deaf?

Mine all family (parents and younger sister) is deaf, I have 2 uncles, 1 aunt deaf too :) all cousins hearing and nephew and cousins' children are hearing, guess me and my sister last deaf. We talk by sign :cool:

My family are hearing so I am ONLY one DEAF..... No one signs except my parents and one of my aunts.... her older daughter (my cousin) signs. I am only child. :cool:

Everyone's hearing in my family during my childhood. Now I'm married to a :deaf: gentleman, so I'm in both. :thumb:

I'm the only deaf in the family. My mum and my hearing husband are the only two that knows sign. :mrgreen:

I am the only deaf in the WHOLE family. My dad and mom don't sign very well except my brother . He is only one to sign very well.
:D

Originally posted by PaxThoreau
Me :deaf: , parents :deaf:, maternal grandparents :deaf:, the rest ... not :deaf:

:cool: my grandparents are hearing know sign nothing when they talked to me I just like nodding my parents transfered for me they used talk with them home signs so :D

thank u all for posting here, 258 ;)

Duh... I forgot to include who's signing and who's not. My husband signs all the time, of course. My boys sign too and are still learning new signs everyday. My parents don't sign, but my mom fingerspells if I don't know what they're saying. My brother signs rarely, only with my husband, but with me, he's talking like crazy to annoy me as a sister. :lol:

My family in laws sign only if when we don't understand what they're saying vocally. Heh. They use cued sign, not ASL or any actual signs. Some of them know fingerspelling.

I am profoundly :deaf: and my family is not :deaf:
I do have a much older cousin, who lives in Florida, who has been :deaf: since his babyhood. I only see him every once in every few years.

Edited to add this:
My parents and sister know how to sign. Even the family dog knows some sign commands, like sit, wait, finish, no. I do speak with my voice with my family though, as it is easier for them than to read my signing.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am only deaf in whole family. they dont use the sign so i talk like cow chewing.... :)

I am third generation Deaf family. My great-Uncle was deaf. My Dad is Deaf. My Mom is hearing. My silings are hearing. Strange !

My hearing grandmother and I used BSL. She moves to USA when she was 12 from British. :D She has deaf friends in UK.

Children of Deaf Adults

I want to include the CODAs in my family. They are my brother and my mother's sister. They sign well. My aunt still signs with old PA signs, practically unadulterated after many years. In hopes to preserve this part of Deaf history, I plan to record our conversations, especially of our family history, with a camcorder. All I need to do is to get her consent, which can be a mission impossible.

I am in the 6th generation for deaf families...Mother & Father :deaf:, two oldest sister :hearing: (know ASL), my brother and I :deaf:, my aunt & uncle :deaf:, cousin-in-law :deaf: rest of the relatives are hearing but 95% know sign languages...

:ily: I'm :deaf: and come from a 6th generation :deaf: family myself. All of my family signs ASL and our hearing relatives do sign as well for us, they know we will meet them "halfway" when it comes to communication. We do talk to hearing relatives but most of the time, we prefer for them to sign to include us in big gatherings, especially when exciting news are being shared. :ily: We love signing that to each other!! :D

hey Freaky, we're in the same 6th generation for :deaf: family! Deaf Rulz!

Originally posted by Sabrina
I am third generation Deaf family. My great-Uncle was deaf. My Dad is Deaf. My Mom is hearing. My silings are hearing. Strange !

My hearing grandmother and I used BSL. She moves to USA when she was 12 from British. :D She has deaf friends in UK.

:cool: Interesting!

Back