ur family deaf or hearing?

Originally posted by deafclimber
i am only deaf in whole family. they dont use the sign so i talk like cow chewing.... :)

:lol: ...cow chewing...

Originally posted by Freaky
:ily: I'm :deaf: and come from a 6th generation :deaf: family myself. All of my family signs ASL and our hearing relatives do sign as well for us, they know we will meet them "halfway" when it comes to communication. We do talk to hearing relatives but most of the time, we prefer for them to sign to include us in big gatherings, especially when exciting news are being shared. :ily: We love signing that to each other!! :D

:thumb: COOL same my family ;)

my daughter is hearing, right now not sure doctor ENT thinks her level is hard of hearing but she goes speech class therapist thinks she is hearing so am I cuz she can tell me when M/W END, dryed off buzz, knock door and phone ringing, and therapist wants me to take daughter hearing test again, I really not care I love her always, any way :)

my deaf younger sister's son, my nephew, is hearing.

And my husband is deaf, he has older brother deaf too, younger sister and all family and relatives hearing, only mother in law knows sign well and she is interpreter for me sometimes.

I'm only :deaf: in this family.

My mom knows the most signs but my dad, sis, bro knows fingerspell and little sign

my family r hearing and i am only one HOH (deaf) in family... my brother hearing and my sister hearing so oh well i live it :cool:

I am Only :deaf: myself and My parent is Hearing and my brother is hearing but they not really not good (sign Laug) they most time write to me.. I hate that :( I am little problem with Commuincation with my family..

~hug~ :ily: :D

I'm the only :deaf: in the family, my family don't sign, so I communicate with them orally. My hubby's :deaf:, his mother is :deaf:, his 2 brothers is :deaf:, but his 2 sisters are hearing, his 3 nephews is :deaf: also.... my oldest son is hoh so hes from 3rd generation family. My baby son possibly has a hearing loss also, but its not confirmed for sure yet since he will be getting his hearing tested this august :) Whether the results says he is hearing or deaf, it doesn't matter to me as long as he's in 100% good health. ;)

Originally posted by TommyGirl
just wondering, any of ur parent, sisters and/or brothers are deaf?

Mine all family (parents and younger sister) is deaf, I have 2 uncles, 1 aunt deaf too :) all cousins hearing and nephew and cousins' children are hearing, guess me and my sister last deaf. We talk by sign :cool:

Oh boy....there are heaps of threads and posts to go through! I'm wading through this one, obviously! :P I know it's a month late, but still I wanted to answer it, heh!

My baby sister and myself are the only ones in the entire family who are deaf. One great uncle was hard of hearing....no one bothered to learn sign language except my parents. Mum was the more proficient one in signing as she took up interpreting as a job. :)
My father could sign, but was self conscious of how he looked signing...don't know why. I wish I had asked him that before he passed away, oh well. At least, he was able to sign enough to communicate with my sister and I.

Goldie

Originally posted by Teekie
I'm the only :deaf: in the family, my family don't sign, so I communicate with them orally. My hubby's :deaf:, his mother is :deaf:, his 2 brothers is :deaf:, but his 2 sisters are hearing, his 3 nephews is :deaf: also.... my oldest son is hoh so hes from 3rd generation family. My baby son possibly has a hearing loss also, but its not confirmed for sure yet since he will be getting his hearing tested this august :) Whether the results says he is hearing or deaf, it doesn't matter to me as long as he's in 100% good health. ;)

Oooops....forgot to add one more person -- since I got married to my husband, who's hearing, but has a son who's deaf. :) A step son! :)

Goldie

whoo hoo these deaf smilies rock! now if only I could figure out how to use them... lol umm I am the only deaf/hoh in my family - puh. sometimes I wish I had a deaf family so I could see what it was like - but I love my hearie family anyway! ^^

I'm hard of hearing and use sign..my hubby is hearing but uses sign with me.
My mom is hearing and my dad is hard of hearing (age related hearing loss) but neither of them sign. I'm an only child.

My WHOLE family, including cousins, grandparents, long distance family are HEARING! I'm the only one who is deaf in my family.
I hate when Christmas comes or Easter comes along, and I just sit there like a bug just eatting food, trying to see what the heck is everyone tryin to talk about.
I love my cousin, Amanda, she is the best cuz she talks to me everytime, and we just go to our little corner and talk about boys, sex, or whatever :)

Originally posted by TinyStrawberry
My WHOLE family, including cousins, grandparents, long distance family are HEARING! I'm the only one who is deaf in my family.
I hate when Christmas comes or Easter comes along, and I just sit there like a bug just eatting food, trying to see what the heck is everyone tryin to talk about.
I love my cousin, Amanda, she is the best cuz she talks to me everytime, and we just go to our little corner and talk about boys, sex, or whatever :)

Heh..I remember my sister and I never really anticipated Christmas or other special events that was bound to have family gatherings -- always bored us shitless, but my Mum's late sister's (Auntie Lonnie) 3 daughters(our cousins) managed to keep us happy and occupied, they did try to learn sign language and get us involved, etc. It was nice.

Last edited:
*mutters* most people know this.. im a 3rd generation deaf (Grandpa, Dad, me) Grandpa has 4 kids total (2 moms, both deaf) all 4 have some type of hearing loss. Dad/Brother - profoundly deaf, half brother - hard of hearing, half sister - hard of hearing/deaf (more deaf than anything.) I have a sister who's hearing, she used to be a really cool CODA, now shes.. I dont know. *shrugs* Our birth mom is hearing, but my dad's been married to the same deaf lady for almost 12 years (aug 1 is their anniversary) Not to mention we all sign - with the exception of my sister who, while growing up, hated being the only hearie in the family. =/ Oh yeah, lets not forget my grandpa graduated from Gally (in his late 40's) and my dad is currently a Gally student. Dont ask if i'll go - i wont. :)

Tiny's family drives me nuts - her mom signs but not all the time, her little (hahahahaha!!) brother doesnt at all - same with dad I guess. Thats why she liked coming over a lot when I lived with my parents since we all could sit around and talk (just like july 3rd!!)

Everybody in my family are hearing. My parents doesn't sign fluently but they're trying and my kid brother doesn't know any signs at all.

Man, I'm the only deaf in the family, My mom and my dad and my bro only know couples of signs, really it's a home sign that I never reallyl bother to correct them. Cuz they always forget it so we just do the verbal commuicate

All family of mine are hearing. I'm the only one who deaf. My dadda's side family, his 8 brothers who want to learn how to sign so I think that'd be great! So I could have communicate with them if they know sign. -wink- My cousins know sign but they live in Los Angeles...I miss them! :-(

Back