Update: School for the Deaf denies deaf child placement

Why on Earth is this being debated AGAIN? The child seems to be happy and doing well in the school, so, lets just be thankful that she's doing so well.

***gobsmacked***

You would think people could just be happy this deaf child is in an accessible environment...

She was yes......but she was also not understanding that the student was the type of student who would have been better served in the Perkins Deaf-Blind program. (which accepts "just" deaf kids with significent issues)..

Eeek. As the mother of 'that type of student,' albeit she can hear (with a very mild hearing loss on one side, very, very mild), I would be horrified at the idea that if she were deaf, just because she's also retarded she should be served by a deaf/blind program, regardless of whether or not she is blind.

Why on Earth is this being debated AGAIN? The child seems to be happy and doing well in the school, so, lets just be thankful that she's doing so well.

***gobsmacked***

Yup, I don't understand why this thread got debated.

Hey deafdyke, this thread topic isn't big deal and I think that you should accept whichever placement is right for children, my friend.

Eeek. As the mother of 'that type of student,' albeit she can hear (with a very mild hearing loss on one side, very, very mild), I would be horrified at the idea that if she were deaf, just because she's also retarded she should be served by a deaf/blind program, regardless of whether or not she is blind.
It depends on the level of retardation. As you may know multiple disabilties are very common on the profound and severe end of the spectrum. She would simply be in a profound/severe multihandicapped classroom with profound/severe deaf support.
The issue with this student was that she couldnt be served well in a severe classroom but yet she wasnt quite high functioning enough to be served as mild. A very hard student to serve/place in other words.

Just wanted to give an update for those who remember this thread. The child is doing exceptionally well at the school. This student has made some good friends at the school, and other students received this student well. Language and communication abilities are growing by leaps and bounds, and most importantly this child is in a placement where they can actually have opportunities for direct communication with peers and staff, in their primary mode of communication. All is well for this child and family.

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-educati...enies-deaf-child-down-syndrome-placement.html

Boy do I ever remember that thread.

:D

Fortunately Grayma, it doesn't work like that in the real world.

Fortunately Grayma, it doesn't work like that in the real world.

Then how come Perkins School for the Blind admits deaf kids with significent mental handicaps to their deaf-blind program?

cloggy-albums-remarks-picture5642-zebra-question.png

Back