Unpleasant noises in the processor Nucleus 5

radka73

Reaction score
Nucleus Processor 5 was activated July 11, 2011. Next 5 days was set speech processor. Another adjustment will be in the coming days.

Can you hear unpleasant sounds in the processor?

I heard there is still an unpleasant growl. The engineer said the first set, that annoying sound should disappear within a month. The brain is an unpleasant sound displaced. Moon has passed and unpleasant sound is still there.

Sometimes there is a siren sound. Especially when you turn on the processor in the morning. During the day, it activates a powerful sound. Clapping, closing doors, etc. .. the sudden sound of silence.

I still have the brain adapts to sound? Or is the problem in the processor? Do you think that further adjustment will solve the problem?

Last edited:
The area where the mic is positioned on the processor makes it get unpleasant annoying sounds from wind -.-

It can not be the wind when I'm in the room :) Not is there any electronics that would interfere.

It can not be the wind when I'm in the room :) Not is there any electronics that would interfere.

Haha, yeah i know. Honestly when I got the N5, first 2 weeks were very weird for me, like it would go really high on volume then really queit. I think, giving it 2 weeks, and if it doesn't get any better, i would say its the sensitivity on the processor.

I got it for more than 2 weeks :) 11th September it will be 2 months. It is possible that the unpleasant sounds so long do they last?

I am experience on sound hearing aid and cochlear implant issues kind of environment!

What experience? I wore before implanting a hearing aid. But not enough. The loss left ear from 90 to 100 db, 115 db on the right. Implantation performed better on the ear.
I am novice cochlear implant. It hurts me growl nerves.
I have a volume processor to a minimum. When the plane is in the middle - head hurts from the noise.

almost two months? i do not have a CI. my hub has a CI. Have you talk to audi about two months is pretty long?

go see you audi quick before it drives you mad, this arent what it should be, I dont have CI, but that doesnt even sound 'normal sounds' good luck

My audi told that I must wait patiently. That it is the interaction of implant and processor. The brain compares with it.

My audi told that I must wait patiently. That it is the interaction of implant and processor. The brain compares with it.

If you brain was going to rewire itself to understand the signals coming from the implant it would have made process by now.

Have you seen a different audi for a second opinion? Maybe another mapping session is in order.

We'll see. Now waiting for the next date mapping. The last was in mid-July.
You have some unpleasant sounds in the processor after activation? In silence.

Wirelessly posted

do you have spare processor? when I got implanted with freedom I get 2 processors. try that one on and see if it sound better. only "issue" I had was weird feedback-like sound after every word with women voices for maybe 2 months and it went away on it own

Maybe you can motivate yourself with a smiley sticker on a calendar. One smiley a day if you use the processor on each calendar day... On the 14th day, treat yourself with ice cream..

Just kidding :)

I hope all goes well with your next map. :)

Maybe you can motivate yourself with a smiley sticker on a calendar. One smiley a day if you use the implant on each calendar day... On the 14th day, treat yourself with ice cream..

Just kidding :)

I hope all goes well with your next map. :)

:lol: (I'm not laughing at you or your difficulties, radka73. I do hope you find a solution to your problems.)

Nucleus Processor 5 was activated July 11, 2011. Next 5 days was set speech processor. Another adjustment will be in the coming days.

I heard there is still an unpleasant growl. The engineer said the first set, that annoying sound should disappear within a month. The brain is an unpleasant sound displaced. Moon has passed and unpleasant sound is still there.

Sometimes there is a siren sound. Especially when you turn on the processor in the morning. During the day, it activates a powerful sound. Clapping, closing doors, etc. .. the sudden sound of silence.

I still have the brain adapts to sound? Or is the problem in the processor? Do you think that further adjustment will solve the problem?

I asked my good friend who has a CI...she said that she remembers experiencing some of the things you described...she also mentioned what skullchick said...do you have a spare to try and see if it's a processor issue? Hope it works out soon. My friend said she loves her CI...said it does take adjusting to it but eventually it became good for her. Good luck!

Without knowing your background/history of deafness. It seems like you need another mapping sessions.
After I was first switched on I had mappings at one week, one month, 3 month, 6 month then yearly, often in between i sometime hear things unpleasant and write them down so when I see the Audi (often before the next scheduled appointment) so she can adjust accordingly to my comfort levels, the audi said I will experience a lot of unpleasant sounds as i was born profoundly deaf so it does take a lot of time and patience, it would take me long time for my brain to adjust to the different sounds. The more I wear my processor the easier it got.

I have a lot of the times, mostly improved over time as i learn the sounds, some sounds that i couldn't bear was tinny/high pitched sounds which had to be adjusted by an audi.

Sounds like you may have the t-coil on (the N5 have automatic t-coil) I have N5 which is different to freedom, My old freedom I had to switch to different programme for t-coil, the n5 have auto t-coil at first i was hearing this buzzing/growling sounds mainly ALL the time, it annoys me, I asked the audi to turn them off and put manual t-coil so i can adjust myself if i need it. OR it could be tinnitus.

That's pretty much normal, every morning I used get those loud surges so thats normal for newly switched on patients, I have had my CI for 3 years, it had stopped about a year ago.
The sudden silences, I am not sure whether it's the processor or you are "mapped out" there is certain db to hear, as the sounds gets louder it cuts out

Partly, your brain is still adjusting, It took me long time, partly you really need new map. If you have a spare processor, try it, if same problem then it's not the processor.

We are no experts here, we can only offer our experinces, your Audi is the best person... it's best to discuss this with him/her. Do you have your audi's email address? I have my audi's email address so when i am not sure, I will email her, she would advise or make an appt for me to come in.

Back