Union group storms into a Walmart

Probably? Doesn't anyone know? There are lots of other retail stores, not just Walmart. Aren't the unions proud of the wage accomplishments they got for retail workers?

If the unions are important, why can't they back up their claims with some facts? Who cares about choreographed demonstrations? Tell us factually what concrete benefits unions can bring to the table for workers.

I am sure that if Walmart was unionized, they wouldn't have to have food drives for its own employees, as happened in Cleveland a week ago. ;)

Well, if Ralph's (large chained food market) is a retail store, then yes the union won after a long strike. Ralph's agrees to pay more and offer better benefits.
How much per hour?

How much per hour?
They have many different jobs - accounting, management, cashier, clerk, bagger, truck driver, etc. Naturally, depending on a job title such as a bagger, new employees get min wage for a while. The longer, the more pay (unlike Walmart because of no union).

One link showed that Ralph's pays the cashier $20/hr as he works for 7 years.

They have many different jobs - accounting, management, cashier, clerk, bagger, truck driver, etc. Naturally, depending on a job title such as a bagger, new employees get min wage for a while. The longer, the more pay (unlike Walmart because of no union).

One link showed that Ralph's pays the cashier $20/hr as he works for 7 years.
So there is no way we can fairly compare the wages of Walmart employees with union retail workers. It seems if the union truly had something to offer they would say so. Maybe they can't improve wages for Walmart employees after all.

So there is no way we can fairly compare the wages of Walmart employees with union retail workers. It seems if the union truly had something to offer they would say so. Maybe they can't improve wages for Walmart employees after all.
You made comments regarding the union's "bullying" tactics. Can you imagine the power Walmart has, compared to UFCW? Any talk of unions is quickly squashed by Walmart. "You want to keep your job? Get back to work! Take that union propaganda off of our associate bulletin board!" Not only that, I believe that all "associates" are required to sign a "no union" document before being considered for employment. I could be wrong about that.

You made comments regarding the union's "bullying" tactics. Can you imagine the power Walmart has, compared to UFCW?
As far as I know, Walmart can't threaten physical harm or property damage or extortion which some unions do.

Any talk of unions is quickly squashed by Walmart. "You want to keep your job? Get back to work! Take that union propaganda off of our associate bulletin board!"
In union controlled industries, potential workers are told that they will not be allowed to work if they don't join the union.

Not only that, I believe that all "associates" are required to sign a "no union" document before being considered for employment. I could be wrong about that.
If you're not sure maybe you should check on that before making the statement.

Ohio's economy has been in the dumps for a while.

This Walmart drive is employees helping other employees. Apparently at least some of the employees are making enough to help others.

I didn't read anything that said the reason they needed food was because they weren't in a union or not being paid fairly for their labor.

I also didn't read anything that said Walmart employees were the only people who were suffering in Ohio's retail economy.

I do know that many people have moved from Michigan and Ohio to South Carolina (gasp! a right-to-work state) for jobs.

This Walmart drive is employees helping other employees. Apparently at least some of the employees are making enough to help others.

I didn't read anything that said the reason they needed food was because they weren't in a union or not being paid fairly for their labor.

I also didn't read anything that said Walmart employees were the only people who were suffering in Ohio's retail economy.

I do know that many people have moved from Michigan and Ohio to South Carolina (gasp! a right-to-work state) for jobs.
krFmVgd.gif

Why doesn't Walmart give everyone a bonus turkey instead of asking employees to give food to other employees? You don't know? Wow, you are blind by its greed.

The problems with unions today is the publicity, the unions are weakening nowadays than the past. There has been abuse of both unions and managements getting out of hand. If the strike occurs, there is high chances that both sides lose to concessions. You don't really get what you deserve at a unionized jobs.

There are things to consider about the wage part, the wage part comes with benefits and pensions than non-unions. Unions take your money out of your paycheck for union representation and some contributions to political support.

Unions doesn't always protect you, there is some "closed door" deals between them and managements that some workers get screwed. You don't get to win many grievances unless you put up a good fight. I just do my job and not worry about some bs around. Work as directed and if there is violations of contract, good luck with the grievances... sometimes you don't get to win, like i said some deals between managements and unions that they would overlook the grievances.

It's no surprise Walmart bans unions, there has been increasing of businesses doesn't want union involved. Union murders business slowly til they shut down.

I have spent the last thirty years working for union businesses. They are all doing well. Not murdered. You can always find a bad example for anything. I have worked both ways union and non-union. When I worked non-union all I ended up with was my last paycheck. That was a while back. Now there are 401k plans that save a little until you are broke and cash in and pay the extra tax and penalty. It is no guarantee of a pension. Everything I have comes from working union. I listen to all this and go uh huh. Working people didn't make squat and worked horrible conditions until people put it all on the line to stand up to the bosses.
Walmart is an inevitable piece of crap brought about by ruthless business men who destroyed literally thousands of mom and pop stores so they can be so rich they can never spend all their wealth. It may be their right as Americans to do this but personally they can take their chain of stores and go to China and stay there.

The problems with unions today is the publicity, the unions are weakening nowadays than the past. There has been abuse of both unions and managements getting out of hand. If the strike occurs, there is high chances that both sides lose to concessions. You don't really get what you deserve at a unionized jobs.

There are things to consider about the wage part, the wage part comes with benefits and pensions than non-unions. Unions take your money out of your paycheck for union representation and some contributions to political support.

Unions doesn't always protect you, there is some "closed door" deals between them and managements that some workers get screwed. You don't get to win many grievances unless you put up a good fight. I just do my job and not worry about some bs around. Work as directed and if there is violations of contract, good luck with the grievances... sometimes you don't get to win, like i said some deals between managements and unions that they would overlook the grievances.

It's no surprise Walmart bans unions, there has been increasing of businesses doesn't want union involved. Union murders business slowly til they shut down.
Most of your info are incorrect. Anyway why does Walmart ban unions? Do you know why? I do. Walmart doesn't want its employees to have fairness. Plain and simple.

Most of your info are incorrect. Anyway why does Walmart ban unions? Do you know why? I do. Walmart doesn't want its employees to have fairness. Plain and simple.
Do you ever have any factual sources to back up what you state?

BTW, you keep referring to "Walmart" as though it was a person. Walmart is a corporation, not an individual. Sam Walton was a person but he's no longer around.

Hey man, Calvin works at unionized workplace (UPS) and he has experience with union.

My grandfather had same feeling about union (mostly negative) due to unsatisfied with contract and union representation.

Do you know why union membership dropped from over 35% in 1950's to just 11% now? Most unions usually exist at government jobs (public employees) but only 6% at non-government jobs (private employees).

BTW, you keep referring to "Walmart" as though it was a person. Walmart is a corporation, not an individual. Sam Walton was a person but he's no longer around.

There is also Sam's Club, too.

Huh? Interesting. I read between the lines that this is Walmart tacitly admitting they do not pay their workers enough.
Whatever floats your boat, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh? Interesting. I read between the lines that this is Walmart tacitly admitting they do not pay their workers enough.
Whatever floats your boat, though.
I suppose if you want to "read between the lines" you can find whatever meaning you want.

Do you remember that Walmart refused to pay OT rates while the employees worked OT? It got caught big time. That shows that Walmart is evil. There are many problems with Walmart nationwide, nothing new.You should google it and you will find more info about it.

I never referred to Walmart as a person, Did I say he or she?

Back