Underground House~ want your opinion

JeepGirl

Reaction score
have any of you ever seen or live in an underground house? If so, what are the pros and cons about the underground house?

I do know for sure that its safe from tornadoes which is GREAT news for those that live in the Tornado Valley! But what's there to know about the house?

I'm just curious what ya'll think of it?

I saw one here in California once....it's an earth-bermed home and there are some considerations to make when designing such a home but I'm in a hurry right now so let me leave you with this: Don't forget to mow the roof Saturday morning! Lol!

I wish I could help you sweetie but I dunno any pro or con for underground house, especially knowing that underground houses are safe from tornadoes ..

I've seen a few of these types of homes. However, back in the '80's, I had lived in an apt. which actually looks like a house (with 2 upper ones). The apartment I was in, all the rooms were halfway into the ground, therefore, our windows were as if on ground level. The point is, a home such as the one you're describing can be much cooler in the summertime than one that isn't as well as being warmer in the wintertime. Other than being perhaps safer from such disastrous elements like tornadoes, high winds...it also can be fortified as a good bomb shelter. ;)

~RR

hmm, can anyone post pictures of underground house?

cuz i want to see what it looks like..

underground house ? Do you mean basement?

If it´s not basement, then can you show me the picture of underground house?

OK. I got some pics of undergound homes at

Hurricane proof, disaster proof, Earth sheltered homes that are environmentally friendly.

Selection of Earth Sheltered Homes by Underground Home builder, Davis Caves Illnois

Hope everyone enjoys these pics...

Give you a good idea of the looks of the house? If not.. you can google with underground homes and find more.

Underground homes are like Caves in a way, except they are more elaborate as you can see if you look...

Davis Caves Earth-Sheltered Home

I adjusted my post to show one floor plan that only has the living room visible, and everything else is hidden away. Personally, I'd like to have a house like that myself.

yea true abt safe from Torando... but i didnt see anything underground house here but u can build it up and make own house..

In parts of europe, the people used to put dirt on roof and let animals eat grass on the roof. In Ireland, people used peat bog--type of dirt as part of the roof. So the idea is not entirely new. But the modern underground house is much bigger and looks more cozier. Another advantage is that you can grow garden on the roof. :)

In parts of europe, the people used to put dirt on roof and let animals eat grass on the roof. In Ireland, people used peat bog--type of dirt as part of the roof. So the idea is not entirely new. But the modern underground house is much bigger and looks more cozier. Another advantage is that you can grow garden on the roof. :)

haha that cute

if there one in the forest, i'm might want to get that underground house because i dont want my house that built on the ground(the place where the trees chopped down for the house)

and another reasons.. i can see animals near my home almost everday ;)

It keeps the house cool during the summer and warm during winter. I've seen it before. But the problem is that they don't have enough windows to let the sunshine light thru. And also make sure it's not on or near the slopes where it can mudslides.

underground house is interested
but agree that safe from tornadoes cuz tornadoes destory houses completely in seconds after hit the houses unless how powerful tornadoes can be

The reason why I was asking is because we (husband and I) just got an underground house and will be moving in that house in 2 weeks!!!! Also wanted to see what were the pros and cons about underground houses. I guess I just wanted to know because I've never lived in one.

Tweetybirdie, There are several underground houses I've seen around here. Some are hidden. there's one on Capshaw in Madison.

We are so excited! i just hope that we're making the right decision on this.

I'll take pictures tomorrow when we go to meet the owner. and post some so ya'll can get an idea what it looks like! thanks!

Back