Uncomfortable

Honey Badger

Reaction score
I am hearing impaired. I wear hearing aids in both ears, or rather I would but I find them super uncomfortable. They make my ear canals super super itchy, I can't emphasize how itchy my ear canals get when wearing them. I get migraines, which I know partially is just me not being used to hearing everything. I will say that normal hearing people really do deal with a lot of noise though. My main issue is the itchiness though, anyone have any cure for this?

I am hearing impaired. I wear hearing aids in both ears, or rather I would but I find them super uncomfortable. They make my ear canals super super itchy, I can't emphasize how itchy my ear canals get when wearing them. I get migraines, which I know partially is just me not being used to hearing everything. I will say that normal hearing people really do deal with a lot of noise though. My main issue is the itchiness though, anyone have any cure for this?
Ask your audie to get you hypoallergenic ear molds.

I'll check it out. I know my ears have been itchy without them lately too. But thinking about it I do have a reaction to silicon with my gauges as well. What is an audie?

Audiologist or whomever you got your hearing aids from

I second what LoveBlue has written as ear molds can be made of a number of different things and it can make a difference.

Also, if the aids are BTEs take the tube and ear mold off and wash just the mold and tube with mild soap and water. Blow the tube out and let them dry before putting back on the aid(s). I think just being clean may make a difference.

Do you have earmolds or domes?

I tried domes and they were so itchy to me. My mom tried domes too and they drove her crazy with the itchies, so we both have earmolds.

I have never had one but have read that domes squeal and have other feedback issues easier as well.

I have never had one but have read that domes squeal and have other feedback issues easier as well.
Probably do if someone has severe to profound hearing loss. They should have earmolds.

If your new to hearing aids itchy ears are fairly common until you get used to having something in your ears. If it really bothers you go to your audiologist or HIS and or go to a drug store and get some Miracell, a couple drops will solve your problem.

Wearing hearing aids you can get "swimmer's ear" or just itchy ears from the build up of moisture since the air flow that dries the ears is blocked. My ears usually itch to some degree. A few years ago, I tried some very soft silicone earmolds (I usually pick hard ones). After a few weeks I had very itchy swollen ears and a huge ear infection. Turns out I am allergic to the material they used. I went back to the hard Lucite and the problem resolved. The ones I have now are somewhere between - they are softer than Lucite but not the super soft silicone and they don't cause a reaction. My ears still and almost always do itch a bit but it is the norm I am used to.

[QUOTE="zephren, post: 2516713, member: 79171"The ones I have now are somewhere between - they are softer than Lucite but not the super soft silicone and they don't cause a reaction. My ears still and almost always do itch a bit but it is the norm I am used to.[/QUOTE]

What I have left on in the quote and put in bold seems like a good description of what I have.

Definitely see your audiologist. It could be something like needing new earmolds. Or my audiologist discovered that mine was a skin issue and before putting my molds in in the morning I'd wipe them off with rubbing alcohol and there would be no itching!

Back